Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Break-in observation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Well, it runs, does not leak, did not explode, and no big clunkety/scary noises.

Am getting some popping through the carbs on No 2 cylinder. I thought that usually indicated too lean, but when i pull my plugs, that one is sooty. All other look like they are burning perfectly. What gives?
McMark
This is carbs? Dual IDFs? Watch down the #2 throat while it's running. It's not uncommon for the accelerator pump jets to drip and each drip makes a pop.
jeffdon
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 2 2010, 01:59 PM) *

This is carbs? Dual IDFs? Watch down the #2 throat while it's running. It's not uncommon for the accelerator pump jets to drip and each drip makes a pop.

40IDFs. Damn, i went through the carbs and did a rebuild....Whats the fix for this? And by popping, i do not mean once in a while. Pretty constant.....
SirAndy
I take it the valves were adjusted and the carbs synced?

Did you check the manifolds for air-leaks?
idea.gif Andy
McMark
Usually the drip is caused by the vibration of the motor causing the accelerator pump to actuate slightly. By tightening the accel linkage slightly, you can sometimes get rid of it. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. Diagnose first, then we'll fix it. cool.gif
rick 918-S
I missed something. Are you talking about a rebuilt engine or are you talking about a engine that hasn't been started for a while?

Old engine: Valve seat failing or valve burnt?

Intake valve too tight?
jeffdon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 2 2010, 02:13 PM) *

I missed something. Are you talking about a rebuilt engine or are you talking about a engine that hasn't been started for a while?

Old engine: Valve seat failing or valve burnt?

Intake valve too tight?

Fresh rebuild, running engine on a stand.

Snuck out to the shop and pulled the cover. One of the nice things about working from home.

Not sure if it was too tight, just set it anyhow. BUT damned if the lock nut on the exhaust side on No 2 was loose and spinning freely. Will check the other side and run all the valves when I get in the mood. Its a lot tougher with the sheet metal installed. And setting them once its in the car, well, i forgot what a F-r that is.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.