Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should we do about seat belts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
well I'm kinda at a stopping point headbang.gif some parts are on order.. I had posted a while ago about a racing harness seat belt and it seemed the popular opinion was they are a pain the the butt and restrict movement and are uncomfortable. So I kinda shrugged it off and planned on finding a better set than mine, mine are stiff need help getting back up... I posted a WTB ad, and the first replies seem to be in similar condition.... any body reconditioned theirs? any body used something else? I cant be the only one who needs something confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Mar 2 2010, 03:36 PM) *

well I'm kinda at a stopping point headbang.gif some parts are on order.. I had posted a while ago about a racing harness seat belt and it seemed the popular opinion was they are a pain the the butt and restrict movement and are uncomfortable. So I kinda shrugged it off and planned on finding a better set than mine, mine are stiff need help getting back up... I posted a WTB ad, and the first replies seem to be in similar condition.... any body reconditioned theirs? any body used something else? I cant be the only one who needs something confused24.gif

Of course brand new factory ones are available but expensive, 924 and 944 style bolt right in and are a lot newer so work better: I have a set of late 944 seat belts in my six number 9142430258 and they work great (I stated the serial number because the 72 factory 914-6 models have the provision to install the retractable seat belts!!
DBCooper
OK, now you're at 20 years old, what comes after that?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 2 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Good call DB!!!! Ok 968 seat belts will work. That brings me to 15 years now. I have not tried 994 and boxster belts.

We usually just install new in the box 914 belts.
tbox56
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 2 2010, 04:10 PM) *

I took a set from the back of a 04 Subaru Forester and they bolted into the factory bolt holes and used the factory "receiving point" for the clip. it was one of the easiest changes that i have made to the car.
Steve
I bought a NOS set about 15 years ago and now the drivers side is sticking. Is it possible to clean them or rebuild them? Knowing that a NOS set has been sitting on a shelf for 30 years what is the recommended option?
yeahmag
Replace them:

http://www.seatbeltpros.com/
WSCH14134
Web Length (Retractor Only) = 110"
9 inch Cable Buckle

You can probably get away with 100" retractor and have even better take up. I have them in my car...
914werke
two main things contribute to the "sticky-ness"
Dirt and spring wear.
1st and foremost the webbing becomes freyed or laden with dirt so that it actualy swells causing friction on the side & top of the "carraige"
The other is siimply the spring giving it up after 30 yrs of tension & release, it may still work its simply considerably more limp.
One maintenance task that is worth it, is remove the belts fix them in a vise or other fixture, uncoil to full length & wash them with warm soapy water, you'd be surprised how much dirt comes out.
While uncoiled use some dry lube on the internal roller ends then dry them fully before allowing them to recoil.
I performed this process on the best 30yr old set I found & they look & perform just about like new.
Steve
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 2 2010, 04:32 PM) *

I bought a NOS set about 15 years ago and now the drivers side is sticking. Is it possible to clean them or rebuild them? Knowing that a NOS set has been sitting on a shelf for 30 years what is the recommended option?

Actually that was a poor description. The seat belt goes back fine, but when i put it on it sticks. I either have to pull real slow or yank on it a couple of times first before I pull it out slow.
Pat Garvey
These belts are non-bio. They are made from manmade materials.
The belts don't usually fail. The hardware does fail.

I have one on my 72 that is balky, but it eventually retracts. I strongly suspect the retractin mechanism needs sume refurb, or maybe just some lube.

Now, I have noted some 914s that have been "left unwanted" outdoors for some time do have a problem with the belts becoming sorta brittle. These should go away, and are not safe.

George may have a solution for these, but as a CW I haven't compared them. Believe me, if the belt isn't proper for a 914, I can spot it almost instantly. But, if it looks like & smells like a proper belt - go for it.

In most cases though, the mechanism is the problem. Not particularly easy to get to, but if you care to do it a little loving care will snap those belts right back up. Did it on my passenger side about 7 years ago. Now need to do it on the D side.

It's not on the xhort list, but I'll get to it.
Pat
pbanders
Seat belts? They're the last of your concerns. The doors on my '70 914 are like beer cans. If I ever get T-boned by an SUV, I'll hardly slow it down. Guy might not even have to put his phone down. Seat belts?
markb
QUOTE(pbanders @ Mar 2 2010, 08:05 PM) *

Seat belts? They're the last of your concerns. The doors on my '70 914 are like beer cans. If I ever get T-boned by an SUV, I'll hardly slow it down. Guy might not even have to put his phone down. Seat belts?

I hate to break it to you, Brad, but that SUV bumper is more likely to come thru the side window rather than the door. biggrin.gif
wayne1234
The Subaru belts sounds very interesting, as you can tell by my slope nose originality is not high on my list, I however respect that is is high on some one else list. so that isn't a option for them...I was looking for options and that is a option I'm going to check out availability, as far as not worrying about belts the police around here actually set up check points to nail people without belts in the summer...
DBCooper
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 2 2010, 05:27 PM) *

These belts are non-bio. They are made from manmade materials.
The belts don't usually fail. The hardware does fail.

But, if it looks like & smells like a proper belt - go for it.

Be very carefully about that advice. The polyester webbing used in seat belts is degraded by UV (sunshine) and ozone, among other things, losing strength pretty rapidly after about ten years. That's why race belts are dated, and the rule for industrial safety products that use webbing is that they're simply discarded after ten years. It's like sitting through the polypropylene webbing of a deck chair that's been left out, it looks fine but then when tested won't stop your ass. Their appearance may be acceptable for concours events but still be totally inadequate for real world use.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 2 2010, 05:32 PM) *

the new ones are in plastic bags inside the boxes and are sweet. No problems
c12croft
George,
could you link us to the new belt mechanisms?
thanks

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 3 2010, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 2 2010, 05:32 PM) *

the new ones are in plastic bags inside the boxes and are sweet. No problems

yeahmag
I'm still not sure why anyone would want to pay 2X the amount for a NOS belt if it's not a concourse car...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.