Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever used this engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
Mazda 20B Wankel

Sequential twin turbo

280 HP @ 6500 rpm
287 ft lbs of torque

Not a cheap engine $4000 used JDM, but cheaper than Subie STI, Porsche 6 and others

Thinking about removing the V8 and re-geared tranny and going with this setup.

Any thoughts? Anyone need a V8 setup?

Click to view attachment
70_914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 2 2010, 05:03 PM) *

Mazda 20B Wankel

Sequential twin turbo

280 HP @ 6500 rpm
287 ft lbs of torque

Not a cheap engine $4000 used JDM, but cheaper than Subie STI, Porsche 6 and others

Click to view attachment

Great engine, as long as you keep up on the maintenance and NEVER run synthetic. There are a ton of parts for them and they don't make a lot of torque off idle, so the transmission does not take a ton of abuse. Been thinking of doing the same swap myself. There are adapters out there for the bellhousing because rotarys bolted to VW transaxles is a common sandrail setup.

Funny thing is, though, that everybody with RX-7's seems to be taking out the rotary and dropping in a V-8. You should be able to get a decent engine without needing to go the JDM route.
Mike Bellis
The 13B TT is common and cheap but they are only 2 rotors. The 20B is not so common and it's 3 rotors. For the $4K I can get the whole front clip through JDM. I think this would be like getting a car and stripping it. I like this idea. I could get all the parts I need from it and not miss something.
70_914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 2 2010, 05:21 PM) *

The 13B TT is common and cheap but they are only 2 rotors. The 20B is not so common and it's 3 rotors. For the $4K I can get the whole front clip through JDM. I think this would be like getting a car and stripping it. I like this idea. I could get all the parts I need from it and not miss something.

Atkins rotary can set up however many rotors you want....

$$$$$ is all it takes when you talk to that guy, but he is the best in the biz.
Krank
Which V8 set-up are you considering/thinking/dreaming of selling a SBC or Rover/215?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Krank @ Mar 2 2010, 08:46 PM) *

Which V8 set-up are you considering/thinking/dreaming of selling a SBC or Rover/215?

My current setup is...
Fuel Injected 283 Chevy, mild cam, roller rockers, gear drive.
901 trans w/taller 5th
Kenedy adapter, flywheel, clutch
Renegade exhaust

The car runs great and is a blast to drive but i'm thinking of change
Krank
Ooooo, an older SBC with FI. What setup? How could you tire of that? biggrin.gif Do you have any pics of how you ran the coolant tubes? One thing I have not found any information on as of yet is how to hook up a heater core arrangement, let alone A/C.
Andyrew
Theres another guy that went the other way with his car.. Rotary to SBC.. Dont remember his name, but he had nice yellow flared car..
Katmanken
Do a search. We've commented on the wankels before.

One problem is a little extra heat.

Look up a guy by the name of soloracer if I remember correctly.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Krank @ Mar 2 2010, 09:27 PM) *

Ooooo, an older SBC with FI. What setup? How could you tire of that? biggrin.gif Do you have any pics of how you ran the coolant tubes? One thing I have not found any information on as of yet is how to hook up a heater core arrangement, let alone A/C.

My system uses the Renegade standard 1 inch hoses under the car. If you were to rig a T fitting into the water supply and return lines, you could supply water to a heater core. Early american cars used a mechanical water diverter valve for the heaters (Ebay). 65 Mustang heater cores should fit into the fresh air box, with a little work. They are as cheap as $15.

The A/C... I'm thinking factory 914 stuff with the exception of the compressor, GM.

I'll try and take some pics.
70_914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 3 2010, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Krank @ Mar 2 2010, 09:27 PM) *

My system uses the Renegade standard 1 inch hoses under the car. If you were to rig a T fitting into the water supply and return lines, you could supply water to a heater core. Early american cars used a mechanical water diverter valve for the heaters (Ebay). 65 Mustang heater cores should fit into the fresh air box, with a little work. They are as cheap as $15.

The A/C... I'm thinking factory 914 stuff with the exception of the compressor, GM.

I'll try and take some pics.

VW Rabbits use a very simple valve to turn on or off the coolant to the heater core, and it will have a VW logo on it....
LS6/914
I have installed 3 rotor and bridgeport 13B units in Lotus Super 7s. Racing Beat can supply intakes for side draft carbs and basic kits to fabricate headers. The major concerns Ive had arre the depth of the oil pan, the extreme heat generated, and the exhaust noise (music?) level. You can be sure with such a short area to place the exhaust it will spit flame w00t.gif On the plus side for autoX you only need one gear as it will rev well into tomorrow....
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(LS6/914 @ Mar 3 2010, 08:10 PM) *

I have installed 3 rotor and bridgeport 13B units in Lotus Super 7s. Racing Beat can supply intakes for side draft carbs and basic kits to fabricate headers. The major concerns Ive had arre the depth of the oil pan, the extreme heat generated, and the exhaust noise (music?) level. You can be sure with such a short area to place the exhaust it will spit flame w00t.gif On the plus side for autoX you only need one gear as it will rev well into tomorrow....

I had a 13B in my 63 VW Double Door Chop Top Panel Bus. It was wicked fast! It had an unearthly howl from the exhaust. I don't mind the noise. I never had any issues with heat or lack of oil. I beat the crap out of that engine. Too bad I never upgraded the brakes!

I like the power to weight from the rotary and the high revs. I'm not sure what the 20B weighs but my cast iron V8 is about 800 pounds.
oldschool
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 3 2010, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(LS6/914 @ Mar 3 2010, 08:10 PM) *

I had a 13B in my 63 VW Double Door Chop Top Panel Bus. It was wicked fast! It had an unearthly howl from the exhaust. I don't mind the noise. I never had any issues with heat or lack of oil. I beat the crap out of that engine. Too bad I never upgraded the brakes!

I like the power to weight from the rotary and the high revs. I'm not sure what the 20B weighs but my cast iron V8 is about 800 pounds.

I'm working with a guy who know rotary, going to put one in the red car (1973) aktion035.gif
cobra94563
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 2 2010, 05:03 PM) *

Mazda 20B Wankel

Sequential twin turbo

280 HP @ 6500 rpm
287 ft lbs of torque

Click to view attachment

I would be interested in your re-geared tranny,
DBCooper
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 2 2010, 09:44 PM) *

Theres another guy that went the other way with his car.. Rotary to SBC.. Dont remember his name, but he had nice yellow flared car..

Friend here in Houston did the same, switched out a streetported 13B (Racing Beat manifold, sidedraft 48 Weber) for a 350 Chevy. Same reasons, heat (with a Renegade radiator even) and noise. It sure was fast though, and very light.
Joe Ricard
Top Super Street Modified Autocrosser runs a 20B in is FD Mazda. Absolutely the stupidest fastest car I've ever seen. Nieghborhood of 500HP. Yep Bridgeported 13b pieces. and a single HUGE turbo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.