Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Wiper Lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
Porsche914blue's thread on intermittent wipers mentioned pulling the wiper rack for lubrication. My wipers seem to have two speeds, slow and slower. I wonder if this could be a lube problem since I have never lubed them.

I read the Haynes manual procedure for disassembly and I hate the thought of pulling the motor and motor drive shaft which then allows you to pull the linkage and wiper drive shafts. My question is, could you adequately lube the wiper system with it in place? Could you remove the wiper arms and oil the shafts from the widshield end and then oil the linkage joints? Or should I forget this, bite the bullet, pull and disassemble the whole thing, and use moly grease per the Haynes manual? huh.gif

Mike
Marlow
When I pulled my rack apart the shafts were dry, there was no oil or grease on them at all. I'm glad I lubed the rack while I was in there. My wipers were slow too.

If you pull off the wiper arms then nuts washers and e-clip you can push the wiper shafts in enough to get some oil down into them. Don't know what oil you should use, maybe some lightweight motor oil? I used white lithium grease when I had mine apart and on the two ball joints. The rest of the linkages I used silicon spray. I noticed a difference right away even moving the linkages by hand. I haven't put the arms back on yet though so I don't know how much difference it made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.