Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seatrail assembly, hand brake...can you powdercoat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Can you powdercoat the entire seat base assembly with rails and the tilt levers as one complete assembly without taking it apart?

Also, I would like to powdercoat the emergency brake lever and the end is plastic, can it be taped off or will it melt in the bake process?
Thanx
VaccaRabite
I'd take them apart., and tape odd any threads or the insides of nuts.

I don't know about the plastic. my guess is no, but I don't really know.

Zach
Eric_Shea
Seatrails - No. But you could plate them. The nylon bushings would not withstand the 400-450 powder temps. McMark originally gave me the idea to plate them and I like how they turned out.

IPB Image

Handbrake - Yes. The knob simply unscrews. Ask your powder guy to go easy on the underside where a powder buildup might gum up the trigger release mechanism. Make sure you take the nylon bushing out of the pivot hole as well. It should pop out fairly easily.

You might want to try high-gloss enamel and baking it at a low 175 temp for an hour or two. That's the factory finish on almost all of the black on our cars (suspension, etc.). This accomplished two things in the mfg. process:

1. It sped up the process by curing the paint faster.
2. It offers a slightly more durable finish by baking it on.
badm
You can but its a lot of work. The drift pins have to come out and you have to pull the plastic bushings and springs off of the tilt handels. I did mine and never used them! I sold them for less than the cost of the powdercoating. I dont think its worth the time just clean and paint. Ben
McMark
McMark originally gave me the idea to plate them

I did? confused24.gif Yay Me! cool.gif

Regardless of the issues with disassembly and baking, the powder will be TOO THICK on the slides. So you'll end up having to carefully sand the slides after you spent all that time coating them. barf.gif

If you're a real knitpicker, you could disassemble the whole thing, tape off the slides before PCing so they stay bare metal. But if you're gonna go that route, you should have the whole thing plated first to prevent rust forming on the parts that are left bare metal.

AND.... this part isn't really gonna get beaten or bumped, so paint is MUCH MUCH easier and will work just fine.
Eric_Shea
I did?

Yupper. You said; "with all of the plating you do, you should try plating some seat rails" biggrin.gif
computers4kids
Thanks all. I think I'll go ahead and media blast all the metal to clean-up and create a nice even finish and then use some "oven paint." I've used it in the past and although it dries very slow, you end-up with a very hard enamel finish. Perhaps I'll throw it all in the oven at a low heat to cure as well...not to sure about that though.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.