Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working Vent Windows; anyone made them yet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JmuRiz
I was looking through some old threads on this subject, and was wondering if anyone has looked more into them.

Old Threads:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=vent++windows
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=vent++windows

Having just gotten a 356 that has working vent windows, I know they would be great in the 914.
I do see that there was an option of a 'Wind Wing' for the 356A cars:
IPB Image
But I know that since our cars don't have a frame it could be a total PITA to rig something up, unless it was mounted to the frame between the roll-up and non roll-up window.
PThompson509
..... (crickets) ....
jonferns
popcorn[1].gif
Katmanken
We are waiting on you to make this happen. Take pictures.
Mike Bellis
How about using a 1970 Ford LTD wagon's wing window guts. You could have two window cranks! aktion035.gif

The hardest part would be drilling holes in the glass. How about a lexan mock up and having custom glass built?

I think I'll just take the top off and utilize my getto A/C... poke.gif
carr914
How about using an early 911 door frame?

T.C.
EdwardBlume
After just reassembling both doors, I can see how it would be a challenge. Since there's no frame around the section, you'd need to fab something with custom glass...

Although you might have better time cutting the the door frame and having the window retract somehow..

Then again, you probably have a targa top chair.gif
rfuerst911sc
I really think TC's suggestion of an early 911 door frame is a good one. If you took a 1970-1973 911 door frame it would already have a working vent window and frame. You would have to cut off the rest of the top frame as that would hit the targa top. It has potential.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 6 2010, 01:03 PM) *

I really think TC's suggestion of an early 911 door frame is a good one. If you took a 1970-1973 911 door frame it would already have a working vent window and frame. You would have to cut off the rest of the top frame as that would hit the targa top. It has potential.

Sure, but you still have the moulding up the glass to change and get to work... remember, the 914 is set up to pinch the glass and make a seal..
JmuRiz
OK, so I guess it's too big a PITA to worry about. I just like being able to get a forced cross-breeze with a wing vent having the front part out. Thanks for the ideas fellas...guess I'll just have to pop the top.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 6 2010, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 6 2010, 01:03 PM) *

Sure, but you still have the moulding up the glass to change and get to work... remember, the 914 is set up to pinch the glass and make a seal..

I said it had potential not that it was a straight bolt in biggrin.gif . In my opinion the " frame work " of a vent window is the harder challenge vs. the weatherstripping. If the early 911 framework would fit then coming up with the way to seal should be easier. Maybe not. Might be easier to pop the 4 latches and remove the top. beerchug.gif
carr914
Flash-Sideways

I don't understand why wing windows stopped being made on cars. They are fantastic on old cars. All the ElCaminos I've had, I hardly ever used the A/C here in Florida because of them.

T.C.
carr914
The reason I thought about the earlier 911 windows is that one time I converted a 911 to earlier door frame just to get the wing window.

Somebody could take the time to do the fab work ( plymouth37, root_werks FourBlades, etc) but not the normal Joe

T.C.
EdwardBlume
I still think fabing a roll or slide down window would work... you'd have to cut the door frame to allow the window to slide down in the door (brace appropriately if needed), change out the permanent rubber moulding to fuzzy channel, add a crank or slide mechanism, and cut up the panel.

None of this is impossible...

BTW, old El Caminos were OK, but Rancheros were more cool.. driving.gif
carr914
Wait til you see the El Riviera that I have cooked up in my mind.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 7 2010, 05:47 AM) *

Wait til you see the El Riviera that I have cooked up in my mind.

El Riviera? How hot is the Florida sun? screwy.gif
Drums66
.........another Leak venue. biggrin.gif
carr914
Isn't that what Depends are for?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.