Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake squeal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
Sometime ago I posted a problem with severe brake squeal following installation of Porterfield R4S pads on my 914-6 conversion car. I'm running Boxster calipers up front and the PMB widened calipers in the rear.

I've been able to trace the problem to the right front caliper. Since the other three calipers don't squeal, I assume that there's some sort of alignment issue between the caliper/pad combo and rotor. However, the caliper didn't squeal before with the Textar pads.

The right side also locks up before the left, with lots of tire skreech and smoke, but nothing from the driver's side. Are these two observations related?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
SirAndy
Porterfields are noisy ...

If one side locks up before the other, you have a problem, regardless of what pads you use.
Could be sticky pistons. Sounds like a caliper rebuild may be in order ...

My Porterfields:

- Quiet when rolling
- Noisy when the brakes are applied in a normal manner
- Quiet again under hard braking

shades.gif Andy
ericread
From what I understand, much of brake squeal may be traced back to a brake piston that may contain some irregularities. This allows the pad to supersonically vibrate against parts of the piston, causing a squeal.

There is a tube of stuff you can use to coat between the brake piston and the pad, which is reported to work. I purchased from Perfromance Parts a "Brake Squeal Pad". It's a paper thin piece of rubber that sits between the caliper piston and the pad. Since I began using these, my brake squeal has gone away.

Another cause is based upon how you seated your brake pads when you installed them. Take a look at Eric Shea's PMB website and he has a step-by-step prcess for properly seating Porterfield pads.

Good luck!

Eric Read
pcar916
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2010, 02:03 PM) *

Porterfields are noisy ...

If one side locks up before the other, you have a problem, regardless of what pads you use.
Could be sticky pistons. Sounds like a caliper rebuild may be in order ...

My Porterfields:

- Quiet when rolling
- Noisy when the brakes are applied in a normal manner
- Quiet again under hard braking

shades.gif Andy

Yup agree.gif Been that way for years...
Tom_T
Scoring on the disc from prior pads, brake fluid/oil/etc. on the pad material accidentally, loose bits, etc. can all cause squeal. .... but oil/fluid on the pad can also cause pull IIRC!

BTW - even the OG stock pads caused some squeal - esp. under lighter braking (as per Andy, etc.), so they also came out with those little anti-squeal fiber pads to go under the pads when mounted. Haven't tried them, but understand that they do help some.

But you need to find & fix the pulling problem first.
tat2dphreak
ok, I guess I got lucky. my porterfields(R4s) never make a noise. when I first installed them I did a few hard brakes to get them set up and they have been perfect since.
Eric_Shea
Porterfield R4S Pads should not be noisey.

What procedure did you use to break in the pads?

http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/1492423.htm
TheCabinetmaker
I was a factory trained Chrysler front end and brake mechanic in the 70's. We had a technical order come from the factory that told us to "cover the back of the brake pad with electrical tape before installation to elimante squeaks". I've used this technique on brake pads for 40 years and never had a squeak or squeal.

Edit: Street cars only!!!!!!!!!!
tradisrad
I've got the street porterfields and they are not noisy. My friend has the racing pads and he has an squeel every time he stops.
tat2dphreak
I don't even think I did the full break-in Eric suggested, I drove mine around a parking lot, and tested it out, and then did some emergency stops... I did use brake squeal stuff from the local flaps. it's similar to RTV that goes behind the pads.
ahdoman
Another thing you need to be careful about is the orientation of the notch in the piston. I don't think that's an issue with your boxster brakes though.

...another thought; did you replace the master cylinder when you replaced the brakes? Make sure both of your front feeder tubes are on the correct spigot on the cylinder. It is possible to swap a front to a rear tube.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.