Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Strut Insert
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
Got some new Koni Sport strut inserts. I have never changed a strut insert on a 914, and I have not yet removed the existing insert. I know what to do with the parts at the bottom of the picture, but am not sure about the numbered parts. 1a & 1b are identical.
Here is what I'm thinking, but really don't have a clue about these:
#1a on bottom of insert at the base of the strut
#1b is not used
#2 ???? seems to be some kind of anti friction shim
#3 not used
#4 is this upside down?

Click to view attachment

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Bob
jcd914
1a, 1b & 3 you do not use at all.
They are for very early style upper strut mounts.
4 is correctly positioned, 2 goes between 4 and the big round gland nut that hold the insert into the strut.

Jim

veltror
I too will be doing this for the first time putting in new inserts in Koni struts I got froma 911, so the rubber bumpstop is inside the strut under the nut i need to purchase... any idiots type diagrams etc would be nice...
bobhasissues
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 5 2010, 01:17 AM) *

1a, 1b & 3 you do not use at all.
They are for very early style upper strut mounts.
4 is correctly positioned, 2 goes between 4 and the big round gland nut that hold the insert into the strut.

Jim

Thanks for the info!
Eric_Shea
so the rubber bumpstop is inside the strut under the nut

Ummmmmm... to clarify.

The bump stop is the last thing you put on before you install the dust cover can and put the strut back in the car. It's not inside the strut at all.

Insert Goes into Strut > Gland Nut Secures It > White Plastic Washer Gives Air Pressure an Escape Route > Bump Stop (might want to trim a tad if you're lowering) > Dust Cap (tall round metal cap) > Install Strut.
bobhasissues
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 5 2010, 12:03 PM) *

so the rubber bumpstop is inside the strut under the nut

Ummmmmm... to clarify.

The bump stop is the last thing you put on before you install the dust cover can and put the strut back in the car. It's not inside the strut at all.

Insert Goes into Strut > Gland Nut Secures It > White Plastic Washer Gives Air Pressure an Escape Route > Bump Stop (might want to trim a tad if you're lowering) > Dust Cap (tall round metal cap) > Install Strut.

Just to clarify:
The insert was shipped with the bump stop already on the strut as shown in the picture. So I should do the following:
Take off bump stop.
Place insert into strut.
Secure insert with gland nut.
Place white washer over gland nut.
Reinstall bump stop.
Reinstall dust cover.
The metal bushing and two additional rubber bushings are not used.
jcd914
You got it smile.gif

Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.