Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice with an engine.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
A few months ago I screwed up my head by drilling in a step down stud crooked, thereby causing the exhaust not to seal.

So I dropped the motor and pulled the head last weekend. One of the cylinder is stuck to the head. As I pulled the head up, the rings on the piston broke. Additionally, some of the cooling fins on the cylinder broke too.

When I got the motor, I was told it was a 1911. So in theory, I have 96mm pistons. I hope to measure things this weekend.

Here are my questions:

1) Assuming they're 96mm pistons, can I get new rings for them? If so, where?
2) Can I have a spare cylinder bored to replace the cylinder where I broke the fins?

If those are both yes, what should I expect when I put it all back together? Should I re-ring all of the cylinders while I am in there?

Thanks in advance for your help.
detoxcowboy
96M-2145 Piston Ring Set, Oversize, 96mm (1.5/1.75/4.0), 914 2.0 (1973-76), complete set of 4 [More Info]
$60.00
pelican parts, also googled 96mm rings and they are everywhere
detoxcowboy
VW Porsche 96mm Big Bore 2.0L Piston Cylinder 914 Bus
96MM Big Bore Kit for 2.0 Type 4, Bus and Porsche 914
(30 mi from 92866, USA) Store: kokopartsSeller User ID: kokopartsFeedback: 1,246 | 99.7%Watch this item Buy It Now
or Best Offer $259.00
+$24.73 shipping

ebay for an entire kit of 4. by the time you bore and get right sized rings , ect if you can find 1 cylinder.. you would be at least half way to a new set of 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.