Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bar on V8 car? And shocks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Rear sway bar on V8 car?

Is it a good thing to ad on or not worth it?

I have removed all the old black undercoating and now is the time to decide if I should weld in brackets for a rear sway bar. I will be repainting the rear trunk and underside of car and engine compartment blue. Do you get this bar used or can you buy and after market unit that may be better for my car?

I need to know if the rears bars will help in the handling. I will be running 8” 951 Fuchs with 225/50/16 out back with 205/50/16 in front.

This is not my first SBC 914. I had one 30 years ago that had 8” and 11”. I got it just to resell but I had a lot of fun with it for several months and I made $6,000.

I still have a question in my rear shocks. This is a question I asked before that no one answered. Spending $250 for new Bilsteins is not the problem but to add on all the extras is just more and more. Can I take the adjustable spring kit and use it on the Bilsteins?

I would like to put this on my car one time. Not try out the KYB.

Old post

I have bilsteins on 2 of my cars. My V8 donor car from Army Dude came with these KYB (made in Japan). They have an adjustable spring kit on them. I wonder if this kit will fit on a new Biilstein. The threaded tube is an almost tight fit over the shock body. It feels like there is a rubber O-ring or something holding them from sliding easily off.

Thanks,

Bob
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I would add one if I had one. My V8 has 200lb springs. Not much roll, but pretty good oversteer. I run 930 suspension and brakes. 930 front sway.

Now to find a rear sway bar and links...
cobra94563
I had one on... took it off, not needed imo, 200# springs with 245's on 9in rims.
burton73
Does anyone know what the springs are on there by the look as well as the adjustable spring kit and do you think that will work with a Bilstein?Click to view attachment unsure.gif
sean_v8_914
looks like a Hypercoil. check for spring rate hand engraved on teh top of the coil. on the flat spot at the end of teh spring
take that apart and measure the ID of the threaded collar and also measure threaded collar length.
those KYBs are not the bottom line econo KYB. they are the slightly better Gas-A-Just.m they will be OK for and interum shock untill you upgrade.
...or measure spring dia.
burton73
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Mar 8 2010, 05:36 AM) *

looks like a Hypercoil. check for spring rate hand engraved on teh top of the coil. on the flat spot at the end of teh spring
take that apart and measure the ID of the threaded collar and also measure threaded collar length.
those KYBs are not the bottom line econo KYB. they are the slightly better Gas-A-Just.m they will be OK for and interum shock untill you upgrade.
...or measure spring dia.

Hi Sean,

There are no marking on the springs buy there is a sticker that has a 300 and something with it but it is hard to read.

The springs are 7 inches long and the threaded collar is 4.75 long and it has and ID just less than 2.25 inches. There was an o-ring around the shock as I thought to hold it in place.

Nice to meet with you on Sunday.

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
The threaded perch has to be a snug fit over the shock. If there's play, you can end up with the perch sliding over the retaining ring on the shock which would make that corner come crashing down onto the tire.

No fun if that happens at speed!
icon8.gif Andy

PS: I know the threaded perches for the Koni don't fit the Bilsteins and vice versa. Not sure about the KYBs.
burton73
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 12:52 PM) *

The threaded perch has to be a snug fit over the shock. If there's play, you can end up with the perch sliding over the retaining ring on the shock which would make that corner come crashing down onto the tire.

No fun if that happens at speed!
icon8.gif Andy

PS: I know the threaded perches for the Koni don't fit the Bilsteins and vice versa. Not sure about the KYBs.

Andy,

It was very hard to pull them off by hand. I had to put on my welding gloves. The o-ring was very tight fit.

Bob

SirAndy
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 8 2010, 03:23 PM) *

It was very hard to pull them off by hand. I had to put on my welding gloves. The o-ring was very tight fit.

Pull them off the KYBs?
If so, that doesn't mean anything. Other shocks will have a different diameter.

They need to fit snug on whatever shock you want to put them on.
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.