Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No more 4th gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zx-niner
I don't want to admit it to myself but I think my recently rebuilt transmission already has a serious problem. The car shifted fine for about 300 miles then all of a sudden it wouldn't go into 4th when dowshifting from 5th gear. Initially it upshifted fine from 3rd but eventually that went, too. At first I thought it was my shifting technique since the car has been on jackstands most of the 3 years I've had it. Shifting slowly and deliberately helped at first. Then it started popping out of gear. Finally it simply felt like it clicked in gear but I got nothing. Whenever it felt like I got it into gear the shifter was"stuck" there and I had to pull hard to get it back to neutral.

A search of this forum resulted in possible causes of broken clutch tube or deteriorated bushings. I've had experience with both of those problems in prior 914s and there was a different feel to them, but it was worth checking out.

This morning I put it back on jack stands to investigate. I removed the rear shifter bar and all bushings look good. At that point I decided to manually shift the car via the small ball shift lever. At each gear engagement both tires locked in and could not be turned manually in the same direction. Each gear, that is, except 4th. No matter how I tried to engage the gear by moving the tires and slowly pushing the shift lever I got nothing. It "felt" like it engaged by solidly clunking into . . . something. But when it did so both tires still easily turned in the same direction. I was unable to move the shift lever further in hopes that it might be in between gears and additional movement would finally engage the gear. The range of motion into the false neutral was the same as the movement for engaging reverse and 2nd gears.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of failure would result in these symptoms? When Dr. Evil did his Northern California seminar I chose not to attend since I had this brand new transmission sitting on the shelf. After getting the car on the road and getting a couple hundred miles of seemingly troublefree driving, the last thing I want to do is start pulling things apart again. Granted, a transmission swap is pretty simple and I have the old one I used while this one was off being built. I am resigned to making the swap just so I can get the car back on the road. I would like some idea what might have happened and what it might take to repair.
Dr. Roger
did you notice your cone bolt, the one that holds the aft of the shfter shaft to the cast ball thingy, to see if it was tight?

That little thing has been the bane of many a 914 owner.
zx-niner
Yes, it was tight. Too tight, probably. Had to put an allen adapter on a socket wrench to break it loose. The allen-tee couldn't do it. Or more likely I don't have the hand strength I used to. Cone screws at both ends were plenty tight.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if only fourth I would suggest fourth gear slider is bad and the amazing dr Evil would probably agree
Dr Evil
If it were only 4th then it is 4th, but you are describing issues with other gears too if I am reading correctly.

It is external to the transmission if:
- R,2,4 all have the issue
or
- R-1, or 2-3, or 4-5 are failing in groups.

Since you seem to be mainly 4th, it is 4th. If it were to spread to other gears, then it could be junk breaking loose in your box and reeking havoc.

I am sorry to hear this, but this is gonna need some attention. I would be glad to help you. You will probably need: 1x 2-5 slider, 1x 2-5 dog teeth, 1x synchro band, bands and blocks. I have these used for much less than new and just as good. Let me know if I can help, and dont drive it any more as more miles = more damage = more $$.
zx-niner
Thanks. I needed some reassurance before I start removing parts again. So far only 4th gear is affected. The other gears all perform and shift normally. This was neither a cheap nor quick rebuild so maybe I can salvage something from the rest of the gear box. I did contact and the builder and am awaiting a return call. In the meantime I'll put the old transmission back in and await Dr. Evil's forthcoming How-To video.
Dr Evil
If its just 4th, you should be good for a quick repair and I would seriously hope that the mechanic would make it right. However, I would want to know what went wrong so that I would if I should worry or not about future issues from this mechanics work.

The video was shot yesterday! 11 hours and is now in post production smilie_pokal.gif

I am hoping to have them available by April 24.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.