Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A-arm Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
I was wondering how hard it should be to rotate the A-arm when the strut is disconneted? I put new poly bushings in from Pelican when I restored the car a couple of years ago. I was updating some front suspension bits and when I disconnect the strut I have to pry the a-arm down.
Shouldn't it rotate fairly free? Are the bushings maybe not concentric?
Just curiuos as to whether others have run into this and what the possible fixes might be.
Don't really have a budget for the poly bronze bearings I have seen advertised.
jimkelly
my guess is metal to rubber to metal - not very free moving.

i think mcmarks's parts or elephant are ideal upgrades.

jim
ericread
What - You didn't like my answer on that "other" site?

When I installed the poly-bronze bushings on mine, the a-arms and trailing arms generall fall to the floor without any nudging. However, the original rubber bushings were a bit tighter. If you can easily move the a-arm up and down, then no problem. If you have to use a jack, you've got problems...

Since you installed the poly bushings, it sounds like your bushings are maybe pinched, or a bit out of round? If you're really having to pry the a-arm down, your suspension cannot work properly. Why don't you remove the a-arm and post some pictures of your bushings?
jimkelly
does he have poly bronze - or polyurathane?

jim
ericread
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 6 2010, 05:15 PM) *

does he have poly bronze - or polyurathane?

jim

He mentions he doesn't have the money for the poly-bronze bushings, so I am assuming he has the polyurathane.

Sounds like something is bound up pretty tight. Bad news for the suspension.

Eric
McMark
Polyurethane.... barf.gif
jmargush
They are poly urethane not poly bronze.

Is the ploy bronze the answer? or have there been a lot of issues with the poly urethane being squeezed out of round?

What about the mis alignment of the two ends? I saw Elephant Racing has something to have them self align not sure how it works.
jimkelly
see the note here

http://www.tangerineracing.com/suspension.htm

jim
jmargush
Thanks

So is there a concensous that one could modify the od of the Bushing once it is installed in the outer sleeve that the od could be reamed to the right diameter?

or is it better to just go with the poly Bronze ?
EdwardBlume
Just curious, but is the front suspension lowered, or set up with non stock parts? Why would the bushings get pinched to the degree of non op?
jimkelly
dude - you have a good question - most just tolerate crappy suspension travel : )

see this >>> especially pages 3 and 4

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...91491&st=60
jimkelly
this thread needed a pic

thought you guys might like to see how these front bushings look like when properly installed back in 1972 : ))
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmargush @ Mar 7 2010, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks

So is there a concensous that one could modify the od of the Bushing once it is installed in the outer sleeve that the od could be reamed to the right diameter?

or is it better to just go with the poly Bronze ?

Some people have been satisfied with using the polygraphite bushings. It is possible to "adjust" the id of them to provide free motion of the a-arm. However, the polygraphite doesn't ream or sand easily. It tends to smear instead of cut. There's a reason they are so inexpensive (cheap).
jimkelly
pray.gif

biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Couple of thoughts.

Did the bushings rotate on the arm after installation but before attaching to the car?

If they didn't, then you have a too small hole in the bushing issue.

If the bushing rotated on the arm off the car and bound when you bolted it on, then there is a bolt on misallignment issue. Could be caused by cocking the bushing as you bolted it on, by squeezing the bushing a little from bolting on the bracket, or by a tweak in the body forcing misalignment.

That material is notorious for not being real slick and seems to get worse over time- hence the complaints of noise later on and the need for a relube of gorilla snot.
jmargush
I would kind of lean toweard the id being too small, cause if I remember right whenI put the bearing on the a-arm it wanted to push itself back off. i can't remeber how the roattion was once installed.

They also haven't been greased in at least 4 years.

Are Delrin bushings still streetable? or are they too harsh for that?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmargush @ Mar 7 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Are Delrin bushings still streetable? or are they too harsh for that?

Bushings that fit properly and allow the suspension to move freely are not harsh.
tradisrad
after reading this I am glad that I put on the poly bronze bushings. No reaming, no smearing, no binding, no head aches and a great ride.
I too had a hard time coughing up the cash. I have no buyers remorse.
Elephant, McMarks or Rebel Racing are all good choices.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.