Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PRODUCT IDEA FOR VENDORS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
but I need my gauges...

How about a low profile console that will hold my clock, volts, oil temp, head temp, and maybe more.... but stays out of the way of my right leg and foot for autoX and driving?

Kinda dumb but I like the gauges and hate my factory console because it hits my leg and is in the way. but when you just hang the gauges looks like after thought.

2" to 3" tall and shifted to passenger side. Needs to look like 1974
McMark
Not that I would ever recommend damaging original parts, but if you slice open the vinyl, you can remove the portion of the center console that goes by your foot and give yourself some extra room.

Or you can get the VDO three gauge mount.
IPB Image
tat2dphreak
or 914 A&P has the a-pillar gauge holder, too.

or you can install a getty 911 dash and have 5 gauges up front and center... I like the console, but it does get in the way, so I will probably eventually go 911 dash.
914Sixer
There is a member that make a three hole setup to go in the radio slot. Not sure if he has some on ebay right know. Makes the tow hooks also.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

How about makeing a gauge panel about 2 3/4 inches wide to hold VDO 2 inch

gauges. SEction the center mounting bracket the correct amount & console to

dash bracket.also the bracket that holds the gauge panel in at the top.

Asemble and install on the same line as the orginal right side there by

narrowing the console that amount. About 3 inches.i have not done this exact

thing buy simular. BTW with 2 inch gauges there is room for 4 gauges , clock.

volt, oil temp, and maby a cly. head temp. Just my 2 cents Dave slap.gif
dangrouche
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 7 2010, 03:55 AM) *

There is a member that make a three hole setup to go in the radio slot. Not sure if he has some on ebay right know. Makes the tow hooks also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...eQ5fCarQ5fParts.

dlee member also makes tow brackets that attach to the front A arms, quality stuff I have installed on my 914. I had the same thoughts exactly, depends if you want a radio or not, otherwise you go with the VDO brackets that are cast from " bricks" solid of vinyl http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Sea...o+gauge+bracket. They go for $27
zx-niner
You can try to find one of the Amco center consoles. Found mine on e-bay and just got everything squared away. It is open in the back, giving room for your shoe on the throttle. I don't recall any leg interference with the stock console, nor do I notice any with the Amco.

The hose behind the console in the photo goes to an A/C outlet mounted on the driver side. I have the following gauges in the console-- voltmeter, oil temperature, oil pressure, cylinder head/exhaust gas temperature combo, and clock.

Click to view attachment
qa1142
I am thinking 4 of these maybe 3 mounted on 1" square tubing

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VDO-240101/

Wiring can run through the tube.

Thoughts? Got a cheaper but clean way?

$160 is a lot, but I could sell my console idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif
McMark
The one I posted looks like a lot less work... confused24.gif
johnnie5
My '75 had dealer installed a/c, which I deleted. When I removed the 'lower' dash with the a/c vents, I decided to keep the short center console. I then added a vdo 2 gauge bracket just above it with vdo oil temp and pressure. I kept the stock clock and voltmeter in the console, but did install 2 1/16" Aircraft Spruce cht in the 3rd console space. I like the short a/c console because the gauge holders are raised and angled towards the driver. I also mounted 2 more speakers in the console. I really like having a center console, very functional for me. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the end result.
TheCabinetmaker
I have a design and a working protype That uses the stock console floor panel (the uhpolstered panel that surrounds the shifter and heater knob). Its got a secure drink holder for those long trips, and does not inhibit your foot. Not only does it hold three gauges, it has a slot for CDs, or whatever. Sorry, no pics till its finalized.
lotus_65
i thumbed one of the million aircooled vw catalogs at a buddy's yesterday and saw a couple generic floor mounted consoles.

i thought a guy could mod any of them to his own taste if he decided to. i looked into molded plastic for low-run products... it ain't cheap, so i wouldn't stay up nights waiting for a privateer to start making 31 flavors for you to chose from.
JJ914GT
Interactive radio delete option
Click to view attachment
Also no ashtray anymore.
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.