Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a photo please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
I'm ready to install a 2.0 in my '74. When I got the car it had a blown 1.8 (out of the car). I do not have the vapor lines going to the fuel tank area, but I do have the canister that came off the car (with short hoses on it). I'm assuming it was mounted in the engine compartment, I just don't know where. Any pics would be much apprecieated. confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
I think the 74 is different from my 73. The vapor hoses run from the drivers side front trunk, inside the front fender, under the rocker panel, into the engine bay. My canister bolts the the front trunk brace, next to the tank.

Sorry I can't help with pics of a canister mounted in the engine compartment. You should still have at least one hose running back there for the connection from the expansion tank.
ClayPerrine
On the 74 and later, there was only a small plastic line running down the tunnel next to the fuel lines. The canister actually mounts in the engine compartment, either on the batt tray, or on the back wall. The bigger lines go to the fan and air cleaner.

There is a diagram on the bird board........
tod914
74 2.0 I had, it was located on top of the drivers side area of the gas tank. I'll see if I can find a shot for you.
70_914
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 6 2010, 08:31 PM) *

I'm ready to install a 2.0 in my '74. When I got the car it had a blown 1.8 (out of the car). I do not have the vapor lines going to the fuel tank area, but I do have the canister that came off the car (with short hoses on it). I'm assuming it was mounted in the engine compartment, I just don't know where. Any pics would be much apprecieated. confused24.gif

IPB Image

1974 1.8, mounted to fuel tank. Same as my 1970 1.7.

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Up through "early 74" (unsure of date or VIN cutoff), the charcoal cannister was on top of the fuel tank as shown in the photos above. Look for two plastic hoses running along the driver's side longitudinal, behind the rocker cover. Those are for the hoses from the fan shroud to the cannister, and from the cannister back to the air cleaner.

The "late 74" and on cars have the cannister mounted in the engine bay, either on the battery tray or on the rear bulkhead of the bay. Look for a single small line going through the center tunnel and coming out into the engine bay right next to the fuel lines. That is for the line from the expansion tank to the cannister.

--DD
Lennies914
Dave, you are correct. I must have the later model. There are no holes in the inner ds fender for hoses, so I'm certain that it was not on the tank. Was just hoping for a pic as to where in the compartment it was mounted.

Thanks for everyones responses.

LW
Mike Bellis
Click to view attachmentPic of a surviving 75

Lennies914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 7 2010, 03:09 PM) *

Click to view attachmentPic of a surviving 75

beerchug.gif Thank you Mike. That's exactly what I needed.
Katmanken
My late 74 had the cannister mouned on the rear bulkhead of the bay on the passengers side. In the picture above of the red car, the cannister would lay longitudinally right in front of the large rear trunk lid and cut down on access through the opening.

There was a pem stud punched into the bulkhead into the engine compartment, and a big loop secured the cannister to the stud.

Not very secure design as the stud pulled loose from the bulkhead and is now something else to fix.

My late 74 2 liter has the cannsiter on the gas tank, and a pair of lines running down the right rocker to the engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.