Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
70_914
I am interested in obtaining a Certificate of Authenticity, but would like a little information about how to go about getting one. Sorry if this topic has already been done, but the search system seems to think I am the first one ever to think of this...

Since it will say Porsche on the top will it cost more than my car is worth?

Will the CoA actually have any useful information on it?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

On a side note- since this is a topic about the history of my car, will it be deleted and forced to be started in the originality and history section? KMA.gif
Tom_T
COA ran about $115 as of last year, & Porsche Club of America gets a discount IIRC. PCA & Porsche Cars of North America (PCNA) both have the pdf COA forms to fill out & mail in.

Accuracy from PCNA varies & it may take some persistence to get it corrected if they make a mistake, but their policy is NOT to charge for redo's & corrections (& maybe not for dupes IIRC).

There actually are several other posts at 914world - perhaps more so at O&H than Garage forums, if you want to read up on others' woes. Many folks have no trouble at all, and it may vary with the old records (Kardex) info. quality still at hand, &/or those doing the research.

My story - it took them 3 tries to get it right because they were confused as to reading their older interior codes, & kept listing my Beige interior as black, plus they had record of only 2 of the options on the car & none of the 2.0L engine/model. This ended up with me having to do the research on the color codes (mostly online), options/included on the upscaled 914-2.0/"914S" for the 73 MY, & to send them pix of my 2L engine case number. All of which I'd have expected them to have in their records & know how to read them correctly for a particular model & year! I also had to track down the manager of their customer service dept. to finally get it corrected, although without the "missing" options on it ..... but sometimes life is too short!

Who knows - maybe you'll be lucky & get your COA all correct the first time through, as 70 MY had either 4 or 6 & that's obvious from the VIN alone. If not, be prepared to do some research & persistence with them to get it correct. PM me if you get stuck with them, & I'll give you the dept. VP's email to get it taken care of (hopefully).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JeffBowlsby
Here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...ofauthenticity/

rolleyes.gif
70_914
Thanks for the information!

On a random side note, despite my screen name the CoA will be fore my 1974 MY car that I am keeping, not my 1970 MY car that I am scrapping.

Tom_T
QUOTE(70_914 @ Mar 7 2010, 10:04 AM) *

Thanks for the information!

On a random side note, despite my screen name the CoA will be fore my 1974 MY car that I am keeping, not my 1970 MY car that I am scrapping.

Oakie-doakie! Same issues on 74 MY - except if yours is a 2.0 - starting in 74 MY or late 73 MY, Porsche US decoupled the full Appearance & Performance Group sets of options, & started charging extra for them as add-ons, & same was true on 1.8's as for the 73 1.7s (i.e.: you could add them as packages &/or individual items) - so you're COA will need to reflect what actually came on your 914.

The downside for 73 2.0's (as with other Porsche special package models such as the 911 Carrera RS), is that the COA doesn't state what optional items were "included" with that model. So it's a double edged sword.

I'd suggest that to start with you take pix of your VIN & Build Date door jamb label/tags/plates, Karmann Chassis No./Paint Code, Engine Case & Transaxle case Nos. to attach to your COA app, so maybe it will save you going back & forth with them on those items. See Jeff Bowlsby's classic 914 website (above) for the plates/labels/stickers locations & other great info. Also p914.com has good info too.

BTW - cute Baby - if that's yours! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
70_914
[/quote]
BTW - cute Baby - if that's yours! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
[/quote]

That is Olivia, and yes she is my baby...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.