Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo tie rod installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
Turbo tie rod kit is on it's way, not sure if it will have installation instructions.
Seems fairly straight forward, but I don't want to damage the steering rack in the process.
The Wes V thread does not show how to remove the old eye bolts.
Just want to get it right, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
bobhasissues
bump
FourBlades

I think the threads holding the tie rods to the rack may be right handed on one
side and left handed on the other? I can check my old ones when you get your
TTRs.

It is a pain getting the rubber boots off and on again. I used a pointed set of
vice grips to hold onto the boots to wrestle them into place. A flat screw driver
is also useful. The big end of the boot is the real pain, the small end is not too
bad. Kind of a minor PIA.

What type of struts are you running? We figured out here that early 911 struts
have steering arms that stick in farther than stock 914 struts. You can't use the
fat washers that come with TTRs, you need to get thin washers that are the same
diameter. The washers act as stops that limit how far you can turn the wheel
in each direction. Using the fat washers I was stuck with about an inch of toe
in on each wheel. Using thinner washers I was able to align my car ok.

You need a 32mm open ended wrench. I bought a $10 bicycle wrench for the job,
much cheaper than a mechanics 32 mm wrench.

I am super sick today but I can take some pictures of what it is supposed to look
like.

Last thing is to measure each existing tie rod very carefully from the end of the
steering rack to the center of the ball joint on each side, and write it down. This is
the lengths you are shooting for with your TTRs so your car will be roughly aligned.

It also helps to crank the steering to one side or the other as you work to make
room at times.

I could not find a thread on how to do this, someone should make one.

John
McMark
If someone sends me a set of Turbo Tie Rods, I will gladly shoot an HD video and write up a how-to. cool.gif
bobhasissues
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 8 2010, 09:21 AM) *

I think the threads holding the tie rods to the rack may be right handed on one
side and left handed on the other? I can check my old ones when you get your
TTRs.

It is a pain getting the rubber boots off and on again. I used a pointed set of
vice grips to hold onto the boots to wrestle them into place. A flat screw driver
is also useful. The big end of the boot is the real pain, the small end is not too
bad. Kind of a minor PIA.

What type of struts are you running? We figured out here that early 911 struts
have steering arms that stick in farther than stock 914 struts. You can't use the
fat washers that come with TTRs, you need to get thin washers that are the same
diameter. The washers act as stops that limit how far you can turn the wheel
in each direction. Using the fat washers I was stuck with about an inch of toe
in on each wheel. Using thinner washers I was able to align my car ok.

You need a 32mm open ended wrench. I bought a $10 bicycle wrench for the job,
much cheaper than a mechanics 32 mm wrench.

I am super sick today but I can take some pictures of what it is supposed to look
like.

Last thing is to measure each existing tie rod very carefully from the end of the
steering rack to the center of the ball joint on each side, and write it down. This is
the lengths you are shooting for with your TTRs so your car will be roughly aligned.

It also helps to crank the steering to one side or the other as you work to make
room at times.

I could not find a thread on how to do this, someone should make one.

John

I will be using the stock 914 struts, so I should be ok with the thick washer, and I have the thin wrench so I should be ok there, just wanted verify how to remove the old eye bolts without damaging the rack. It looks to me like once the old boots are removed, I can put a crescent wrench on the rack to keep it from twisting while I turn out the eye bolts. If there's more to it please chime in.
Thanks for the info.
Bob
McMark
Don't worry about the rack, it's solid.

1. Jack up the car and remove the underpan (if installed).
2. Disconnect the outer ball joint from the strut.
3. Unscrew the inner join from the rack. It can sometimes take a but of effort to break the it free, but once it's free just unscrew.
4. Install the boot onto the new tie rod, slip the washer on the inner threads, and screw the tie rod onto the rack, then tighten firmly.
5. Slide the boot into place and connect the outer ball joint.

:beer:
ericread
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 8 2010, 11:24 AM) *

Don't worry about the rack, it's solid.

However, since you're there...

I went ahead and removed my steering rack before I installed the turbo tie-rods. It allowed me to disassemble the rack, inspect and thoroughly grease the rack, replace the lower steering wheel bearing, and clean and grease all of the steering linkage.

Just a thought...

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.