Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter problem-Solved.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
Reinstalling my motor today after having it rebuilt. I believe I wired everything correct, but when ever I hook the main harness to the battery, my motor turns over....even without the key being turned on. I have both red wires to the starter on one pole and the yellow wire with the flag connector on the spade terminal. Can anyone give me an idea of where to go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Jeffs9146
Here is what the wireing should look like! It could also be a stuck ignition switch, you could try unplugging the yellow wire and see if it still does it!
underthetire
I had a problem with my old djet, if the cold start injector was plugged in it would crank. Not sure why, and it never gets cold enough here to use the cold start. Just a thought.
srohling
ok...more data....major electrical issues. Headlights don't work, E. flashers don't work, fog lights don't work, radio doesn't work. Only one fuse on the fuse box is recieving 12V which is the blinkers. I can't find any wires which are not connected. I'm scratching my head. I disconnected the yellow wire to the starter, and that stops the problem, so that wire is always hot. Any more board help is VERY appreciated....time to break out the wiring diagram.

Scott
drive-ability
QUOTE(srohling @ Mar 7 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Reinstalling my motor today after having it rebuilt. I believe I wired everything correct, but when ever I hook the main harness to the battery, my motor turns over....even without the key being turned on. I have both red wires to the starter on one pole and the yellow wire with the flag connector on the spade terminal. Can anyone give me an idea of where to go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

I have a V8 car but it that happened to me I would disconnect the yellow wire and see what happens when you connect the battery cable. If it still happens well make sure the other two red wires are not somehow contacting the solenoid post if not you have a problem in the starter.
If it stops cranking work down the yellow wire and assuming it has a positive charge. I would look at the ignition switch next, unplug it and test the circuit made inside the switch with an ohm meeter. The yellow connector at the switch should only have continuity with the ignition power supply in the start position. What year is the car does it have a starter seat belt interlock ?
Did it work before the new engine was installed ??? Bla Bla Bla LOL
zx-niner
Question-- when you connect to the battery does the starter engage fully and turn the engine over? Or does it just run without the solenoid having kicked the gear to the flywheel?

If #1, my guess is bad starter. If #2, you need to trace the yellow wire back to its source. Somewhere it is getting power directly from the battery. It should only be energized when you turn the ignition key all the way to Start.
Jeffs9146
ok...more data....major electrical issues. Headlights don't work, E. flashers don't work, fog lights don't work, radio doesn't work. Only one fuse on the fuse box is recieving 12V which is the blinkers. I can't find any wires which are not connected. I'm scratching my head. I disconnected the yellow wire to the starter, and that stops the problem, so that wire is always hot. Any more board help is VERY appreciated....time to break out the wiring diagram.

I think all of that stuff listed as "don't work" go's off when the ignition switch is engaging the starter! Check the ignition switch first then follow it down from both the starter and the ignition switch to the fuse box! Sounds like it could be a couple of burnt wires somewhere in the harness if it is not the switch! Maybe a screw through it or something.
Dave_Darling
Look at the 12- and 14-pin connectors at the relay board. They are in theory keyed to keep you from plugging them in off-by-one row, but in practice it is quite possible. That's an easy one to check, too.

--DD
McMark
agree.gif with Dave. Check the connector at the back right of the relay board.
drive-ability
Looking at that picture of the starter, my money is on the wiring being askew there. Hear hooves think horse first!
zx-niner
My guess is wiring, and the relay board is a good place to start. As Dave suggested, make sure the 12 and 14 pin connectors are properly lined up. It's easy to get them off by a single row or miss the entire column.
srohling
Thanks to everyone...I'm going to start at the ignition switch as that makes a lot of sense. I have checked the relay board....all is good there. The starter does turn the motor over when yellow is connected, but not when disconnected. I'll let everyone know when I'm through investigating the iginition switch.

thanks again.

Scott
srohling
ok....I have done more research and found some good and some bad. discovered I cut some wires while I was doing some body work. I have reconnected these wires and most of my problems have gone away. However, I still have the main problem of 12V going to the starter solonoid on the yellow wire all the time. I traced this back to the voltage regulator board. The #6 pin on the 12 pin connector on the voltage regulator is staying hot. I'm not sure why. I verified the ignition switch is fine. I traced it to the 14 pin connector. All of this worked fine before I pulled my motor. Is there a possibility something went wrong on the voltage regulator board. I cleaned this during the down time of the rebuild.

any help is appreciated.

Scott
srohling
OK...So I'm an idiot!

I"ve solved the problem. The 14 pin plug at the front of the relay board, while in theory cannot be hooked up backwards...can in fact be hooked up backwards. Two days of searching and this is what I have come up with. I have reversed the connector and all is well. I only fried my pertronix in the process!!! But problem solved

Thanks everyone for your help.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.