Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rev limiter failure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
we had a breaking throttle cable this weekend on the 2.0 four.

We did have a rev limiting rotor.

motor reved up to around 7000

not sure why?

do these rev limiters wear out?

Cut out is supposed to be like 5500
pbanders
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 8 2010, 08:07 AM) *

we had a breaking throttle cable this weekend on the 2.0 four.

We did have a rev limiting rotor.

motor reved up to around 7000

not sure why?

do these rev limiters wear out?

Cut out is supposed to be like 5500

Could be the cut-out contact has gotten corroded. Did you pull the rotor and examine it?
dflesburg
no but i will.
Katmanken
The design is really simple-stupid to reduce likelyhood of failure. Is the limiter movement blocked? If it is, then the limiter can't move to create the dead short that kills the ignition.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 8 2010, 10:27 AM) *

The design is really simple-stupid to reduce likelyhood of failure. Is the limiter movement blocked? If it is, then the limiter can't move to create the dead short that kills the ignition.

agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Actually, there's no contact for "open" The rotor contains a spring loaded piece between the center and the rotor tip. When the revs rise to a set point, the spring is overcome and the connection is broken. Remember, too, that the rev limiter only affects the electrical system; If you downshift into the wrong gear, the engine will rev as high as the gearing wants it to go.

The Cap'n
dflesburg
true.

but I am talking about the neutral condition.

so if the system works off a spring, it could stick.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 8 2010, 12:08 PM) *

Yes. Post a pic of the rotor. They're usually pretty much fail-safe, unless it's heavily corroded or gummed up ...

idea.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 8 2010, 12:08 PM) *

true.

but I am talking about the neutral condition.

The "neutral" or default position is one of continuity. Until the RPM rises to the "break" point, the little coil spring is strong enough to hold the connection closed. Above that point, the spring can no longer maintain enough pressure to continue the continuity and the spark can no longer reach the tip of the rotor. Once the RPMs fall below the ability of the spring to hold the contact, the continuity is restored. I've never seen a "breaker" rotor so in need of maintenance that it failed to function, but then I inspect the ignition components of every car that comes through my shop for service every 3000-5000 miles (I lube the felt beneath the rotor, too). I suggest the failure mode of the rotor, other than actual physical breakage and tip corrosion, is a failure of continuity, NOT a failure to lose continuity.

The Cap'n
pbanders
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 8 2010, 12:24 PM) *

Actually, there's no contact for "open" The rotor contains a spring loaded piece between the center and the rotor tip. When the revs rise to a set point, the spring is overcome and the connection is broken. Remember, too, that the rev limiter only affects the electrical system; If you downshift into the wrong gear, the engine will rev as high as the gearing wants it to go.

The Cap'n

Thanks, hadn't looked at mine in a while, I got it wrong.
pcar916
In addition to the limiter issue, there's a more fundamental failure. A very dangerous one at that.

If you break a cable the throttle should close, not open. Could make you die.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Mar 8 2010, 01:01 PM) *

In addition to the limiter issue, there's a more fundamental failure. A very dangerous one at that.
If you break a cable the throttle should close, not open. Could make you die.

agree.gif

There should be a throttle return spring. Or better yet, two ...
shades.gif Andy
pbanders
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 02:03 PM) *

There should be a throttle return spring. Or better yet, two ...
shades.gif Andy

That's how mine's set up (2). Isn't that the way it came?
ME733
........Well guys everythings been covered very well except......There are many different rev limiting rotor buttons of various RPM limits....just a few come to mind ..approx 4500-5200-5500-6200-6800-7200----If i remember correctly. the highest rpm limiter was for a 911,S I,m pretty sure.--They will all fit and work in the various 914/009/etc distributors...The rev limit of the rotor is usually cast in the (back side of the rotor).opposite the rotor contact point. They are all marked, designated in some way.........................Murray
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.