Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Would you save it or part it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
agentblr
I picked this car up on Saturday at an estate auction for $500 also got a pre A motor for $55 !! Needs pans, rockers, and a left front fender,which i have minus the rockers. It's mostly there and I just can't make up my mind on what to do with it. It is a early 65 sn# 451585 which would put it at the 1585th 912 built. I dont think it's rusted beyond hope but I dont look at SWB 911/912 everyday either,she is gonna take a fair share of metal work to be right.
agentblr
more
agentblr
pics are to big for one post.....
agentblr
more
agentblr
I know Andy is gonna ream me for being computer-tarded
agentblr
Eric_Shea
That car needs to be saved. Looks fairly complete (in the eyes of a restorer) and not much if any "tampering"

I'd love to have one of those.
agentblr
I have only seen the green interiors in 356s ??
70_914
You should scrap it...

Better yet, let me scrap it for you. biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I looked at buying one of these a few years ago (probably 8) and it was not worth putting back on the road at that time. Values have come up since it is not considered a NARP any more, so it would be worth getting back together IMO.

Trade my $400 914 for your $500 912?

jonferns
Nice find! It needs to be saved. smilie_pokal.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
vacuum and blow it out and put it on e bay. Some european will pay great money for it and weld it back together with cheap eastern european labor. Then put the pre a engine on e bay and score.
Don't waste a minute of your time doing anything but a little cleanup for sale. There is too much money to be made in the sale and way to much to be lost in the restoration.
FourBlades

Save it yourself or only sell it to someone else who will.

I think they stopped making more of these a while back. biggrin.gif

Good project for someone who is retired and can do it without worrying about
getting their money back.

John

agentblr
Thanks for the positive comments, there were camera crews at the auction check this out http://www.kmbc.com/news/22764002/detail.html
BigD9146gt
I agree with George 100%... That is unless, your as insane as us who love restoring cars with no care in the world for how much time it will take. Quality means everything to a project like that, if you do decide to do it yourself, my hats off to you!
KaptKaos
I'd save it, but then again, I want to make a 912 Hot Rod (Renegade in their parlance). =)
EdwardBlume
agree.gif Save it. You know you want to...
Michael N
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 8 2010, 08:46 AM) *

vacuum and blow it out and put it on e bay. Some european will pay great money for it and weld it back together with cheap eastern european labor. Then put the pre a engine on e bay and score.
Don't waste a minute of your time doing anything but a little cleanup for sale. There is too much money to be made in the sale and way to much to be lost in the restoration.

agree.gif
KELTY360
Check your priorities. Do you want to perform a heroic save or would you like a quick ROI. Is it a car you love or did it conveniently fall in your lap? Were you looking for this particular car? If you had your druthers (which you do), what car would you like to have? Do you have the skills to save it? Time? You've made a nice find that's worth some $$ to someone. There's a lot to be said for a good story where you find a treasure and pass it on to someone who really wants to spend $$ on it. Good luck.
Katmanken
That's a cool find.

It needs to be saved. The question is: Do you want the car bad enough to save it?

If you want to drive it, then by all means fix it and enjoy.

If you don't want to do that, then sell it to somebody who wants to fix it.

Don't part it out.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Michael N @ Mar 8 2010, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 8 2010, 08:46 AM) *

Vacuum and blow it out and put it on e bay. Some European will pay great money for it and weld it back together with cheap eastern European labor. Then put the pre a engine on e bay and score.

agree.gif

agree.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 8 2010, 01:36 PM) *

If you want to drive it, then by all means fix it and enjoy.

If you don't want to do that, then sell it to somebody who wants to fix it.

Don't part it out.

agree.gif
markb
IIRC, the cranks are worth a bit of coin. I personally think it should be saved, whether by you or someone else. It's going to take a LOT of work, but the 912 crowd is almost as rabid about their cars as we are about ours. Post it over on the 912 board (http://912bbs.org) and see what reaction you get.
Eric_Shea
I'll add... I agree with the eBay theory unless you have about $50-60k to restore it properly and you want to keep it.

It's a basket case and needs to go all the way down to a stripped tub and be brought back to life.

The problem with a 65 912 is, it's just as expensive to restore as a 65 911. One will net you more money in the end. Parts for the SWB cars are hard to find and expensive when you do. Some resellers won't even answer your e-amil unless they know the part is going on a 10pt restoration.

Sure is a beautiful car though.
agentblr
I have to listen to reason and I just dont have the passion to put it back together. My Passion is 914s biggrin.gif I am going to at least get it running and maybe drivable and and probably throw it on ebay.
MDG
I agree - do not part it!

Either keep it and restore or sell it to someone looking to get covered in rust dust and welding splatter smile.gif

Between the 912 and the engine you sure won't lose money - unless you decide to restore it yourself.

good luck
qa1142
Don't part it

Someone will give you a $1000 for it
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Mar 8 2010, 05:58 PM) *

Don't part it

Someone will give you a $1000 for it

]
much more than that. You should put it on e bay with a good description and then all of us can sit back and watch the bid go up and up. maybe I would even be interested in bidding on it AND the engine!!!!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(agentblr @ Mar 8 2010, 12:46 PM) *

I am going to at least get it running and maybe drivable and and probably

I wouldn't.

Like George said, just give it a good cleaning, come up with a detailed and honest description and throw it on eBay. Include tons of pictures.

The sit back and watch ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
McMark
If you take even a single step towards fixing anything, you're losing money/profit.

Either go all in and do the whole project, or pass the torch and don't bother throwing money and time at something you're just going to sell.
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(agentblr @ Mar 8 2010, 12:46 PM) *

I am going to at least get it running and maybe drivable and and probably

I wouldn't.

Like George said, just give it a good cleaning, come up with a detailed and honest description and throw it on eBay. Include tons of pictures.

The sit back and watch ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

agree.gif
agentblr
Yeah I have to agree....I figured at least running it would bring more$$ but I'd be kidding myself,this thing has been outside since at least 1990. The 22 year old son said he never saw it move. Hell I don't even have a key for it blink.gif and you know the engine tin is full of rat nest along with every wire chewed to shreds.
patrick3000
The best way to save this car is to find a rusted out pos and transfer all of the useable parts. It can be done save it.
zambezi
I agree with selling without much labor. Just enough labor to clean it up more to make it more presentable so people can see what they are getting under all the dirt. Make sure the engine turns over and describe it as such but I would not bother with getting it running. That adds to the charm as lots of buyers want to be the ultimate savior and bring life into it themselves (kind of a bragging right once the resto is done).
List the serial number on the pre-A engine (under the generator starting with *P-xxxxx), I used to have a pre-A that I sold after my resto and always was curious where the engine ended up. You can never tell where it may turn up, so just wondering.
JIM
ME733
.............Well ....heres how I see it..., first off the pre-A engine is almost worthless in reality, as there are VERY few 356 people restoring pre A cars....the parts are just about impossable to find...and absurdly expensive when you do..BUT engines are pleantful if you know where to go....Then about the 912...IF the engine will rotate...it MAY have a value of $750-to $1500.,...problem is some ones buying a pig -in a poke. a real gamble that anything inside the case is useable......In my opinion the car is toast. when you finally get the massive globs of undercoating off...you will discover RUST lots of rust. rust is obviously every where and it shows. You will spend yourself into the poorhouse restoring it...Remember that the early 912,s and 911,s ..up to 1973-I THINK..did not have galvanized bodies or panels.., that car is history. there may be some parts that have some value...The early 912,s had a four speed transmission...Most 912 car guys want the later model 5) five speed....do YOURSELF a favor a sell it for a small profit and let that car be someone elses nightmare to deal with. AND how about this....ALL those guys who have commented, in this posting.. about how wonderful, great and possably PROFITABLE to restore that car is ..should just SNAP IT up. sell it to THEM....let THEM attempt to restore it....anyone restoring it will be so upside down in that car that slamming their NADS in a door jamb 1000 times will will be a RELIEF from the agony of the restoration, and financial disaster..........well this is just my honest opinion....MURRAY.
tat2dphreak
the 912 needs to be saved and meticulously restored... that said, not many people would have that kind of resources, so selling it would be 100% understood. I love 912s as much as 911s and 914s.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(zambezi @ Mar 8 2010, 05:45 PM) *

List the serial number on the pre-A engine (under the generator starting with *P-xxxxx), I used to have a pre-A that I sold after my resto and always was curious where the engine ended up. You can never tell where it may turn up, so just wondering.
JIM

Yep, worry more about that Pre-A motor...that sucker could be worth a lot to the right buyer. Look into that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.