Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition Coil wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
Ok...quick newbie question.
I am installing my ignition coil and may have screwed things up. There are two wires going to the coil. Black and black/purple. Which goes on the positive terminal and which goes on negative? Second question, when I initially hooked it up, I melted the black/purple wire. Not sure why....had it on the negative terminal. Here is the question, what are the chances I fried my pertronix?

any help is appreciated.

Scott
Larouex
Hey Scott,

Your best friend is here...

Electrical Wiring for 73, including coil
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73C.jpg

The coil is #6 on the diagram and shows you the leads to connect into #4 and #15 on your coil.

Cheers,
Larouex

underthetire
Should be more than two wires! Pertronix should have a black and a red, tach wire from the car and +12 from the car. Large black(can'tell if there is a stripe on mine) +12 to + on coil. Red Perttronix + on coil, black with purple stripe-tach lead - on coil, and black from pertronix to - on coil.
srohling
ok...not to ask a further stupid question...which is positive or negative on the coil? #4 or #15???

Again, thanks.
underthetire
QUOTE(srohling @ Mar 8 2010, 05:42 PM) *

ok...not to ask a further stupid question...which is positive or negative on the coil? #4 or #15???

Again, thanks.

Ah, don't know. my bosch blue coil has a + and - on it.
bfrymire
QUOTE(srohling @ Mar 8 2010, 05:31 PM) *

Ok...quick newbie question.
I am installing my ignition coil and may have screwed things up. There are two wires going to the coil. Black and black/purple. Which goes on the positive terminal and which goes on negative? Second question, when I initially hooked it up, I melted the black/purple wire. Not sure why....had it on the negative terminal. Here is the question, what are the chances I fried my pertronix?

any help is appreciated.

Scott

If you think it would help, i have close to the same setup, I can take a picture. (If it's not raining when I get home.)

-- brett
SirAndy
QUOTE(srohling @ Mar 8 2010, 05:31 PM) *

what are the chances I fried my pertronix?

99% ... shades.gif
Larouex
15 is Positive (+)

This should help...

http://www.hot-spark.com/Coil.htm
McMark
Black is +12v and goes to the + side (terminal 15)
Black Purple is the tach wire and goes to the - side (terminal 1)
If you hook up the Pertronix backwards and turn on power... POOF! No maybe, no kind of, it's absolutely dead, no doubt about it. But hooking up a set of points backwards will do the same thing (POOF).
srohling
thanks guys....I think I let the genie out of the pertronix....new one on the way.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.