Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: assembly of three-piece wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
i've flirted with bringing this up on other posts. has anyone here disassembled/assembled three-piece wheels themselves? what's involved? diassembling my wheels would greatly facilitate the refinishing process...

it seems to me that so long as the wheel was sealed with integrity during reassembly, and the bolts slowly brought up to torque with some care, that there's no reason not to do this myself? i'm not trying to be a cheap bastard here, just looking for a project.

beer.gif nathan
Brad Roberts
I forget which wheels you have, but I doubt you will find the seal that goes in between each half. I know BBS wont sell theirs. I'm pretty sure it is a one time seal. I have seen several people "try" to built their own 3 piece wheels only to have them leak down over night after installing the tires.

Try it.. and report back to us.

B
ChrisFoley
I rebuild my 3pc lightweight racing wheels on a regular basis per the recommendation of the mfr. The bolts/nuts are replaced with new ones and I use silicone RTV to seal them during reassembly, after a thorough cleaning of the old sealant. Proper torque on the bolts is critical. I use a small torque wrench for better accuracy and do them in three increments, up to 15 ft-lbs final.
machina
BBS Motorsport in GA are more than happy to sell all parts, inners, outers, seals, bolts.
Bill Baker at (800) 422-7972.

They were great about letting my use a few different sizes of rim halfs to determing fit on my 993.

Get a torque wrench that is calibrated in lower register inch/lbs.

Also, torque in roundabout fasion, don't have to do star pattern etc.

Worked out great for me.

dr
KenH
Can not pass this up - a picture is worth a 1000 jokes.

Looks like you got the wheel together - but forgot to put the tire on.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.