Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter problem-Solved!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
As a continuation of a previous thread.

My starter turns over constantly. Just got my motor back from a rebuild. During the rebuild, I cleaned the engine bay and the voltage regulator board. Now after I got the motor back, the starter wants to turn over all the time...even with the key off. Here is what I found while scrounging for answers.
I discovered I cut some wires while I was doing some body work. These were wires going down the center tunnel. I have reconnected these wires (headlights didn't work, radio dead, etc) and most of problems are now solved. However, I still have the main problem of 12V going to the starter solonoid on the yellow wire all the time. I traced this back to the voltage regulator board. The #6 pin on the 12 pin connector on the voltage regulator is staying hot. I'm not sure why. I verified the ignition switch is fine. I traced the ignition switch to the to the 14 pin connector and did continuity tests with the key.

All of this worked fine before I pulled my motor. Is there a possibility something went wrong on the voltage regulator board. I cleaned this during the down time of the rebuild. I can't figure out why the #6 pin on the voltage regulator board stays hot!

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks. Scott
srohling
as an additional question, is it ok to jumper from the 14 pin ignition switch wire to the 12 pin starter solonoid wire and bypass the voltage regulator board?

Thanks.
underthetire
That wire for sure should be switched from ign. Try pulling the 4 pin plug from the rear of the relay board. That goes to the ECU, maybe something is whacked there.
srohling
OK...So I'm an idiot! mad.gif

I"ve solved the problem. The 14 pin plug at the front of the relay board, while in theory cannot be hooked up backwards...can in fact be hooked up backwards. Two days of searching and this is what I have come up with. I have reversed the connector and all is well. I only fried my pertronix in the process!!! But problem solved smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your help.

Scott
underthetire
Good news.
And if you want to go to compu-fire, I just picked one up for 62.00 from a dealer in LA. So far so good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.