Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Fart Attempts Rebirth of Garage Queen Gone Bad!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I meant to do this last year, but a lot of health & family things kept it from happening. Those are past history. So, now the process begins of bringing "Fritz" back to life.

For those uniformed, Fritz is my first Porsche. He could still win any concours, except he won't start! Each time I bought another Porsche, Fritz suffered. Nunca mas!

My former 20 year love Bluto is in good hands, and I have no more excuses.

I place this text here for help and experience from those who've done this before.

Number one problem is the fuel system. My tank is so purty from the outside, but gross on the inside - been sitting for 4 years with rotten gas in it.

I bought a "new" tank over the winter, but the PO rattle canned it & it looks like poop. It's a primo tank, just looks like crap.

Now, as soon as my garage temp hits 55 (I have old hands & they don't like cold temps), I'll drain the old tank & see if it's salvagable. If not, I'll have the "new" tank stripped & resprayed. This will be the first step.

So, I have some questions:

1. The car hasn't been started, or attempted. Should I have concerns about the pump? After all, it has old gas in it too.
2. Injectors - should I just change them (since they probably have old gas in them too). I have some new ones ready to go.
3. Anything else I should check in the fuel system, assuming I have a new/restored tank?

I probably should have posted this in the Garage, but I wanted opinions from other wienies first.

Fritz WILL hit the road this summer. Yes, I will get some help from professionals to make it happen. Yes, I will spend some bucks. But.. first, I have to do something on my own - the tank.

Opinions and tech help appreciated.
Pat
ghuff
Have your injectors cleaned by witchunter injection.

That will fix them well.

Use a jiggle hose to drain your tank. I just did that with mine, took a bit but it's almost ready to come out.
Ferg
First let me say, congrats. We are all looking forward to "Fritz" coming back to life.

1. Pump. IMO, yes, I would put a new one in. They are available and not uber bucks. Less chance of a headache down the road.

2. Injectors. Again, yes, if you have new ones ready to go, I would use them, and that will allow you to send out the current injectors to be cleaned, as spares.

3. Tunnel lines? I hate to add anything to a "while I'm in there" list but if the tank is out and they are original, now is the time.

Ferg smile.gif
SirAndy
- Clean out old tank or use new one

- New soft fuel lines everywhere (!)

- Check the hard plastic lines, if the ends are brittle, replace

- New fuel filter

- Flush the pump with fresh gas, it might just be OK

- Either clean the injectors or use the new ones

- Check your soft brake-lines, replace if needed

- Check the brake pads

- Check brake calipers, make sure the piston move freely

- Flush the brake system and bleed the brakes

- Get a new battery

- Clean the air-filter or replace if needed

- Change engine oil

- Change transmission oil

- Adjust valves

- Check tires and tire pressure

Fire her up and go for a drive!
beerchug.gif Andy
914runnow
What are the miles on the car????
Also the electrical gremlins..
All grounding contacts r/r clean...check for loose connections..
(remove connectors and wire brush contacts on the fuse panel)
and give a 'soft squeeze with pliers' and slip back on..for a
tight fit..
same with fuse contacts..wire brush,,,,and replace fuses..
keep others for b/u...
relay board inspect contacts/plugs and clean.....
for grins I would send your injection harness to Bowlsby for
a 'tune up' of sorts....
grease and lube pivot points/hinges...the lights too.....
check for torque and tightness and tolerances thru out the car......
and engine...valve adjust too....
if rocker tubes and or oil cooler seals leaking..r/r.......
If you drop the motor...
check front and rear oem 'rubber' mounts for cracks or rotting......
are shocks or struts due....and rear springs???
Sorry Pat but suck on your MPS..see if it hold your tongue..!!!
and vac hoses trim back a bit for a tight fit....
And What Everybody else said sounds great!!
and now I will crawl back under my 914 rock with my on going resto...
BUT>>>>I am excited for you driving.gif
Tom_T
agree.gif

.... with Andy & others above, & the idea of replacing what you have new/NOS 7 send existing out for renewal as your back-up parts.

If you added a fuel stabilizer etc. per the usual storage tips (Dr914/George, Pelican, etc.), then you'll have less chances of problems, because the fuel has less chance of separating nor forming varnish in the FI jets, etc.

Another idea for the extra tank is to send it as a core to AA or somewhere that refurbs them properly, then swap it out. Also when you pull the tank, check all the fittings & the strainer "sock" & replace as necessary. A small hole in the fuel line strainer sock can let crud into the lines & foul stuff.

Another item in the fuel system which I don't think was mentioned, is the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Do the other stuff, then test to so if the FPR is working okay per specs. If not, replace & get the old one rebuilt for a back-up.

By far the biggest concerns after sitting that long are:
> Water & Corrosion problems from separation in fuel
> seized components due to corrosion & lack of operation/use
> Bad Gas into system & fouling engine/parts
> Good or Bad gas getting out of system through leaky hoses, etc.

Oh Boy - Ole' Fritz is comin' back! piratenanner.gif
silver74insocal
i hate to be the one to do this but... thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
lets see this sucker!! cant wait to see it brought back to life
beerchug.gif Dave
tod914
No excuses then Pat.. hope to see you at the VW Fest in Flanders, NJ this year. Think Zone 1 is on Long Island this year. Not sure I want to drive the gauntlet getting there. Glad your back on track smile.gif Check your tires too. Forgot to mention, the New Hope Auto show in PA. That's a real nice one, and it's close for you too.
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 09:58 PM) *

I understand your attention to detail so this probably goes without saying, but be sure to get metric FI hose. 5/16" hose will leak in a 7mm application.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 09:58 PM) *

- Clean out old tank or use new one
Wish I could use the old tank, but I think it's shot - too bad, because it's purty!

Have most of them, well, all of them since I checked.

- Check the hard plastic lines, if the ends are brittle, replace
Scares me the most.

- New fuel filter
Check - have plenty of those.

- Flush the pump with fresh gas, it might just be OK
I'll remove it & see.

- Either clean the injectors or use the new ones
Have some Factory new & some witchhunters, just need new boots.

- Check your soft brake-lines, replace if needed
They're new - no problem there.

- Check the brake pads
Get this, I still hve 20 years worth of asbestos pads. Don't tell!

- Check brake calipers, make sure the piston move freely
Feel fairly certain that Eric will need to tweak these!

- Flush the brake system and bleed the brakes
Understood - normal, simple maintenance.
- Get a new battery
Ooh, this could be an issue, since I want to stay with lead acid. I've used Interstate batteries for some time, but when I went to buy new batts for Ferg's T they told me 30 days minimum! May have to switch. No, I don't want Optima.

- Clean the air-filter or replace if needed
It's clean & ready to go

- Change engine oil
Fresh

- Change transmission oil
Do I have too? That crap really stinks!

- Adjust valves
Now, here's where I need a pro. I know what to do, but am too old to "get doen, get up, get down, get up). Think I have someone local to do it, though he hasn't worked on a 914 since he was in Porsche training in th 80's.

- Check tires and tire pressure
[color=#FF0000] Yeah, well, tires are 28 years old. Do you think I need some new ones? They only have 6K miles on them.

Seriously - a great checklist. Not a "no brainer", but I've forgotten more than I knew!!!!

Thanks Andy!
Pat

Fire her up and go for a drive!
beerchug.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 8 2010, 09:26 PM) *

That will fix them well.

Use a jiggle hose to drain your tank. I just did that with mine, took a bit but it's almost ready to come out.

Ummm, what's a "jiggle hose"?
Pat
ghuff
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 9 2010, 05:55 PM) *

That will fix them well.

Pat

The name implies, it is a hose you ijggle and the action pulls the fluid up.

IPB Image

There is a little ball in the end that causes suction and it will drain your tank fairly quick.

I pulled 10 gallons from my 914 in about 25 minutes. Only thing better is an electric fuel pump with a switch.
ghuff
28 year old tires, ditch them immediate and get new ones.

That is WAY too old to even think of driving on.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Mar 8 2010, 10:34 PM) *

What are the miles on the car????
Also the electrical gremlins..
All grounding contacts r/r clean...check for loose connections..
(remove connectors and wire brush contacts on the fuse panel)
and give a 'soft squeeze with pliers' and slip back on..for a
tight fit..
same with fuse contacts..wire brush,,,,and replace fuses..
keep others for b/u...
relay board inspect contacts/plugs and clean.....
for grins I would send your injection harness to Bowlsby for
a 'tune up' of sorts....
grease and lube pivot points/hinges...the lights too.....
check for torque and tightness and tolerances thru out the car......
and engine...valve adjust too....
if rocker tubes and or oil cooler seals leaking..r/r.......
If you drop the motor...
check front and rear oem 'rubber' mounts for cracks or rotting......
are shocks or struts due....and rear springs???
Sorry Pat but suck on your MPS..see if it hold your tongue..!!!
and vac hoses trim back a bit for a tight fit....
And What Everybody else said sounds great!!
and now I will crawl back under my 914 rock with my on going resto...
BUT>>>>I am excited for you driving.gif

Thanks for the input. I will do all of what you sugested, though my knees will bark at me about the fuse panel.

Bowlesby tune up is a cool idea. I'll talk to him.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 8 2010, 09:31 PM) *

First let me say, congrats. We are all looking forward to "Fritz" coming back to life.

1. Pump. IMO, yes, I would put a new one in. They are available and not uber bucks. Less chance of a headache down the road.

2. Injectors. Again, yes, if you have new ones ready to go, I would use them, and that will allow you to send out the current injectors to be cleaned, as spares.

3. Tunnel lines? I hate to add anything to a "while I'm in there" list but if the tank is out and they are original, now is the time.

Ferg smile.gif

Ferg,
Are you talking about the metal line replacement for thr plastic? If so, how much of a job is it? Yeah, those plastic lines are 38 years old - kinda scary!
P
Pat Garvey
I can't keep up with you guys! And, that's really good!

My thanks to all of you who have responded. Not a single one of you has called me an old fart - so I will! Yeppir, hit 63 last week. Bones feel older!

We're going to get this thing going. First will be the tank. Weather permitting, could happen this weekend. Remember, I'm old - things take take time sometimes. But, that's the plan.

You guys ares the best!
Pat
Tom_T
Tangerine SS fuel lines for tunnel a definite must over the brittle plastic ones from 71/72 mfgd.:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=48548

Try an actual Interstate distributor - not a retailer which orders them, and You may get a faster delivery of a couple of days or week. My local one is only saying that if not in-stock.

Tell us what new tires you end up with Champ! biggrin.gif
Tom_T

That will fix them well.

Pat

Ummmm ..... Pat ..... that's when you get old like we are, & the plumbing doesn't work as well any more .... and you have to ...... well - you know! lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 9 2010, 06:32 PM) *

I can't keep up with you guys! And, that's really good!

My thanks to all of you who have responded. Not a single one of you has called me an old fart - so I will! Yeppir, hit 63 last week. Bones feel older!

We're going to get this thing going. First will be the tank. Weather permitting, could happen this weekend. Remember, I'm old - things take take time sometimes. But, that's the plan.

You guys ares the best!
Pat

birthday3.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 9 2010, 09:11 PM) *

That will fix them well.

Pat

The name implies, it is a hose you ijggle and the action pulls the fluid up.

IPB Image

There is a little ball in the end that causes suction and it will drain your tank fairly quick.

I pulled 10 gallons from my 914 in about 25 minutes. Only thing better is an electric fuel pump with a switch.

Where do I get one? Need it quickly! I'm rolling & you don't want to let an OF rest!
Pat
Pat Garvey
I've begun sripping parts of the "new" tank (as it was described - far from it), which is a nice usable tank except the PO rattle canned it & it looks like shit! Using a citris based stripper that I've used before, and it seems to be doing OK. I'll refinish it properly, but hope my original tank is redoable.

We'll see, but the tank (hopefully) comes out Saturday.

Pic's? Maybe, but the wife is still lamenting the loss of the 911 and she'll need to take them.
P
ghuff
Pat I picked up my jiggle hose at harbor freight.
Tom_T
Pat - I'm not saying that you suck biggrin.gif - but you can use the good ole school siphon method with any tubing long enough to let gravity do it's work. Hint - if you use a clear tube, you can stop sucking on it when you see the gas progressing toward you, & once it starts flowing - no need to sit there jiggling the dang thing! Also keep the receptacle into which you're draining at a lower level than the tank bottom to get it all out, but you probably already know all this from your chem lab days!

So no need to go run & get that copper jiggle hose, unless you reeeally want one! shades.gif
jonferns
agree.gif

thats how I did mine a few months back
jonferns
agree.gif

thats how I did mine a few months back
jonferns
double post, sorry
tod914
Just drop the fuel pump, pull the line off the filter and drain it into a gas can. Think you'll want to change those lines anyways. What ever is left inside the tank, just tilt it towards the driver's side of the car when you pull it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 12:12 AM) *

Pat - I'm not saying that you suck biggrin.gif - but you can use the good ole school siphon method with any tubing long enough to let gravity do it's work. Hint - if you use a clear tube, you can stop sucking on it when you see the gas progressing toward you, & once it starts flowing - no need to sit there jiggling the dang thing! Also keep the receptacle into which you're draining at a lower level than the tank bottom to get it all out, but you probably already know all this from your chem lab days!

So no need to go run & get that copper jiggle hose, unless you reeeally want one! shades.gif

I'm not concerned about getting the old gas (~4 gallons) out, as what to do with it!
Place I expected to give it to for heating thier shop doesn't want it anymore. Will take my used oil, but no gas anymore.

Any LEGAL suggestions? I don't have a lawnmower, and the gas is too crudded up for that anyway.
Pat
tod914
can a gas station take it and dispose of it?
jonferns
If you lived local I'd gladly take it and put it in my truck, she runs on anything smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 11 2010, 07:06 PM) *

I'm not concerned about getting the old gas (~4 gallons) out, as what to do with it!
Place I expected to give it to for heating thier shop doesn't want it anymore. Will take my used oil, but no gas anymore.

Any LEGAL suggestions? I don't have a lawnmower, and the gas is too crudded up for that anyway.
Pat

Pat - they're so strict out here, that you have only 2 basic choices for spent motor oil & fuel from such work - a regulated haz-mat disposal/recycling service or a service station/shop which takes it in & sends it to their disposal/recycle source. (some are free & other charge in both cases).

It's probably similar back there in Stencil-vania too. Somebody offered to burn it in their truck, but hopefully they filter out the crud & separates off any water that has settled out. Check with your local City/County &/or trash service &/or recycling centers for where you can take it legally. If you want to find out the rules there, then a call to or perusal of the PA-DEQ's website should tell you what the rules are, & may even have a list of "approved" (condoned?) disposal centers in your Silly-delphia area.

Geez - I still have quite a bit to drain out of my tank after 24+ years - wonder what it will look like!!?? blink.gif

I'd always heard that a full tank with fuel stabilizer was the best way to store it, as that prevented (or reduces) the rust from forming inside the tank & fittings. I hope that's true, cuz that's what I did! dry.gif

I like Tod's method of pulling the lower hose. I wish they had the lower petcocks to test & drain the fuel in an accessible spot, like they have on aircraft fuel cells.

Hope this helps! smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 12 2010, 01:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 11 2010, 07:06 PM) *

Pat

Pat - they're so strict out here, that you have only 2 basic choices for spent motor oil & fuel from such work - a regulated haz-mat disposal/recycling service or a service station/shop which takes it in & sends it to their disposal/recycle source. (some are free & other charge in both cases).

It's probably similar back there in Stencil-vania too. Somebody offered to burn it in their truck, but hopefully they filter out the crud & separates off any water that has settled out. Check with your local City/County &/or trash service &/or recycling centers for where you can take it legally. If you want to find out the rules there, then a call to or perusal of the PA-DEQ's website should tell you what the rules are, & may even have a list of "approved" (condoned?) disposal centers in your Silly-delphia area.

Geez - I still have quite a bit to drain out of my tank after 24+ years - wonder what it will look like!!?? blink.gif

I'd always heard that a full tank with fuel stabilizer was the best way to store it, as that prevented (or reduces) the rust from forming inside the tank & fittings. I hope that's true, cuz that's what I did! dry.gif

I like Tod's method of pulling the lower hose. I wish they had the lower petcocks to test & drain the fuel in an accessible spot, like they have on aircraft fuel cells.

Hope this helps! smile.gif

I'll say this right now. StaBil is overrated. In fact, it sucks!
Used it in my former 73T, when parked several years ago. The tank needs to be replaced (a '73 CIS tank new is $1600). The year before, when I put the 914 on stilts I put StaBil in the tank. Now, I'm replacing THAT tank too. True, niether tank was full, but they are both an absolute mess inside. Yep, both tanks are antiques, but StaBil let me down big time! Damned old cars!

BTW, I also wish they had put petcocks on the lines out of the tanks. And, since they are invisible from the outside, I'm working on doing this with the 914.

Planned to start draining the tank yesterday, but another nor'easter blew in. My garages face the NE, so I couldn't do anything about fumes. Project put off until midweek.....hopefully.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.