Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Love my Soda Blaster...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
I'm still having strut woes on the ass-dragger so it's Billy-time.

I took these over to my soda blaster guy and look what I got back. I just wanted to show the miracles of soda one more time here. Spindles were not taped off. Shock shafts were not taped off! ohmy.gif

Nothing like factory metal to work with... just amazing results. The smallest of stampings, codes and markings come back to life. Almost a shame to repaint them...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
underthetire
I don't think it's wrong at all. Those look like they just came off the production line!
zymurgist
smilie_pokal.gif
914Sixer
Ok, I need to go get a soda blaster. Man, those look ready good.
Eric_Shea
Yeah huh? Almost every time I have something soda blasted, it's like a step back in time. It was one of the coolest things to have my tub soda blasted and see the factory welds on the rear suspension consoules. All of the heat marks and blueing were there hiding underneath the paint.

It felt weird, like I was there just after the guy welded the car.

IPB Image
tdgray
Yepper... that's why I have one on order... can't wait to do that to my transmission, springs etc... gonna be step back in time. SCHWING
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 9 2010, 07:26 AM) *

Ok, I need to go get a soda blaster. Man, those look ready good.

agree.gif those look amazing drooley.gif
Randal
QUOTE(tdgray @ Mar 9 2010, 07:27 AM) *

Yepper... that's why I have one on order... can't wait to do that to my transmission, springs etc... gonna be step back in time. SCHWING

Hey Todd, which one did you buy?
tat2dphreak
I have one question... how big of an air compressor do you need?
Eric_Shea
The guy I use has a portable deisel compressor mounted on a trick trailer. He does grafitti and such.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 9 2010, 10:33 AM) *

The guy I use has a portable deisel compressor mounted on a trick trailer. He does grafitti and such.

so, you're saying I'd need bigger than my little portable 110v? wink.gif
zymurgist
I used to have a 36 gallon portable tank compressor, but its duty cycle didn't allow the nearly continuous running needed for sandblasting. I replaced it with the Home Depot special 60 gallon tank. I used that for sandblasting all the remainder of my Corvette parts. I would guess that soda blasting has similar requirements.

Only major issue I have is moisture... I put a water trap at the end of my main hose and sandblast with a short whip hose connected to it, and I still have to clear out the water a couple of times in a blasting session (east coast humidity FTL).
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif for Larry.
rick 918-S
I have one. I am using it to strip just the top layer of paint from the front and rear trunks and engine bay of the Raspberry car. I'm trying to leave the original finish. Or as much as I can anyway. It works really nice for that.

Click to view attachment
jmill
The blaster you buy should give you required compressor specs, ie. 90 psi @ 10 CFM
sixnotfour
looks great, here are my fav. soda blast pics , real factory GT 705, There is another on the dash but the pic is on RoadGlue.
pete000
WOW !
Eric_Shea
here are my fav. soda blast pics

Oh yeah, those rock. I remember that... smilie_pokal.gif
wertygrog
How much does it generally cost to have an entire bare tub soda blasted, ballpark?
Eric_Shea
$600 - $1,000 depending on the blaster.
pete
I made the simple one from info on this forum. Did a great job on my trans. Any ideas on how to contain the dust though? I did the trans on my driveway and positioned an industrial fan behind me. My back yard was white by the time I was done.
Eric_Shea
Water? confused24.gif

Just a heads up gang. This is commercial soda not Arm & Hammer stuff. While you can get a simple gun and shoot Arm & Hammer (good for carbs and small parts), the commercial stuff comes in 50lb bags and you sometimes pay by the bag. The commercial soda has the consistency of large grained sand.

My car was under $600 because we had glass hoods and we DA'd all of the flat surfaces prior to bringing it in. We used soda on both trunks, the engine compartment and the underside.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Krieger
Are you kidding...no faceshield?
r_towle
After I used my soda cabinet on a set of carbs the first thought I had was, "where have you been my whole life"

So no, its not wrong imho

Rich
Eric_Shea
Are you kidding...no faceshield?

What you see is what you get. After about an hour I asked him if he wanted to use my saftey glasses. His eyes were bleeding.
gothspeed
Where does one get the 'soda' .... unsure.gif ??
Smitty911
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 21 2011, 01:28 PM) *

http://sodaashdirect.com/buy-sodium-carbonate-online.html
ldsgeek
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Mar 21 2011, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 21 2011, 01:28 PM) *

http://sodaashdirect.com/buy-sodium-carbonate-online.html

Or everybody's favorite junk shop Harbor Freight
nathansnathan
I was worried about paint/ primer adhesion with soda blasting as I'd read about the chalky residue that it leaves - some say just soap and water will take it off, some say add vineger to neutralize the ph, others talk about the need for elbow grease. The thought of my paint falling off led me to getting glass beads instead for my project. For engines/ carbs, the soda seems the way to go though as it is water soluble.
Eric_Shea
My car got a vinegar bath. Pain came out perfect.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 21 2011, 06:52 AM) *

Does it remove rust ?
d914
No, paint.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 10 2013, 05:21 AM) *

Does it remove rust ?

No. It only removes paint. You need to switch to sand to take out the rust areas. They say that soda blasting can take the paper off a cigarette filter without harming the filter. I switched my cabinet to soda... wub.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 10 2013, 07:21 AM) *

Does it remove rust ?

agree.gif Just paint. It leaves the metal as new as the day it was born. There were a few spots around the engine shelf that needed rust repair and that was spot blasted with a sand blaster and replaced with new metal. Soda even left the factory seam sealer in place which is what we wanted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.