Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting to no center console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dem
My new-to-me 73 914-6 conversion has a hodge-podge of rather sorry looking gauges in the dash and a busted up center console, so I am thinking I will get a quad-gauge from Mark @ new vintage, and remove my center console completely.

Is there anything other than a straight heater lever I need to get? I'm also getting a new carpet kit from Morph/Nate, are there any modifications I should ask him to do? Serging around the shifter hole? The german loop in cognac is on the way, but I don't think he has started cutting yet.

Thanks guys.
Dennis

Interior:
IPB Image

Import loop cognac carpet:
IPB Image
McMark
Just take it out. The same heater lever will still work (although selling the console with the heater lever has more value). Tuck the wiring under the carpet. Nothing special to taking them out. No tricks, just pull it.
underthetire
You will need the leather shifter boot too me thinks.
McMark
The leather boot was only for center console cars. So technically, he's got the right boot already. If he was keeping the center console, he would have the wrong boot.
markb
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 9 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Just take it out. The same heater lever will still work (although selling the console with the heater lever has more value). Tuck the wiring under the carpet. Nothing special to taking them out. No tricks, just pull it.

agree.gif
I pulled my console, and even left the same lever in (too lazy to change it out biggrin.gif ), and it looks fine. Extend the wires for oil temp and volts, add a wire for oil pressure, and you should be good. If you want to hook up the volts properly, give it a designated hot straight from the battery (in the back of my mind, I think I added a relay for mine, but not really sure).
underthetire
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 9 2010, 10:45 AM) *

The leather boot was only for center console cars. So technically, he's got the right boot already. If he was keeping the center console, he would have the wrong boot.

Is that true on all years? My 73 has the leather with no factory console. I like the rubber one better.
McMark
According to the PET and my 'expert logic'. laugh.gif

cool.gif
70_914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 9 2010, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 9 2010, 10:45 AM) *

Is that true on all years? My 73 has the leather with no factory console. I like the rubber one better.

I have a couple rubber ones floating around if you need one. $shipping only- I don't want to hang on to them for any reason I can think of.

swl
my 73 has leather too without the console
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.