Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUN VIDEO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
http://autoatlanta.com/g/flares.php

this is very current, many of you will see the exact flare set you receive being made here! Tim is very talkative so please bear with him!

dflesburg
That was uber cool.

makes me wish i was doing another flared car...
agentblr
Very cool ! Thanks for sharing aktion035.gif
aircooledtechguy
Thanks for posting that video. This type of thing makes it very easy to see why you need to have a lot of orders ahead of production runs just to cover the intense costs of doing a run. And this is a product where all the dies are in existence. Imagine folks if you have to design and build the dies as well??

Thanks George!! beerchug.gif
McMark
Very cool to see. thumb3d.gif
johannes
Now I understand why they are that expensive...
jmill
Very nice. Thanks for sharing George.
stepuptotheMike
So remember kids. If you don't cut in far enough it will not rip like you want it to biggrin.gif

Seriously that was cool to watch. Can tell that they take a lot of pride in their work and have put a lot of effort into these parts.

Mike
Krieger
WOW! There is no doubt that Geogre is commited to the 914. Thanks for sharing.
bandjoey
If that kid get's a better job, no 914 metal will ever be trimmed again! laugh.gif
bcheney
George...that was extremely cool to watch. Those guys are doing a great service for our community! Thanks for sharing and hooking everyone up!
SirAndy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 9 2010, 06:37 PM) *

If that kid get's a better job, no 914 metal will ever be trimmed again! laugh.gif

agree.gif

smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif Andy
messix
all i got from that link is a red X
bigkensteele
Wow! I had no idea that these were so labor-intensive. Gives me a new appreciation for what small businesses across the country must do to make the bottom line and pay people. George, thanks for posting this, and thanks for doing what you have done to keep these guys in business.
underthetire
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 9 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Wow! I had no idea that these were so labor-intensive. Gives me a new appreciation for what small businesses across the country must do to make the bottom line and pay people. George, thanks for posting this, and thanks for doing what you have done to keep these guys in business.

And if you saw the power to run the hydraulic pumps alone you'd be shocked. Ours is slightly bigger, and is 480Volt at 500 amps. One day running that is like enough power for a month in a home. I can't imagine how long it took to mill those dies out. That had to be a month worth of programming and cutting alone. Very nice work
bigkensteele
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 9 2010, 08:45 PM) *

And if you saw the power to run the hydraulic pumps alone you'd be shocked. Ours is slightly bigger, and is 480Volt at 500 amps. One day running that is like enough power for a month in a home. I can't imagine how long it took to mill those dies out. That had to be a month worth of programming and cutting alone. Very nice work

I agree. I am amazed that these could be produced and sold at the price they are going for, when you consider the cost of tooling and the man-hours associated with doing a run of 100. I can't see how, but I hope these guys are making some money on this project. It would be great if we could throw some other work to them.

Maybe they can buy SSI?!?!?!? George, can you arange a meeting?
BigD9146gt

You'd be amazed how many things you buy that the time involved in making it is intensive... china helps hide that fact by cheap labor ($80 US/month is good pay). My oil tanks look over 4 hours each to make, in production, including 11ft of TIG welding .0625 aluminum. That doesn't include the 100+ hours of CAD work, working with vendors to make sure you know what they can do, and what tolerances to expect when you finally get the parts. Its a whole other world when your on the supply side of the table.

Nice work on the video George. As a machinist, its always fun to watch other machine shops and what they have laying around. Cheers!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Mar 9 2010, 09:07 PM) *

... china helps hide that fact by cheap labor ($80 US/month is good pay). My oil tanks look over 4 hours each to make, in production, including 11ft of TIG welding .0625 aluminum. That doesn't include the 100+ hours of CAD work, working with vendors to make sure you know what they can do, and what tolerances to expect when you finally get the parts. Its a whole other world when your on the supply side of the table.

This is why I appreciate the effort of this vendor (and George). It is easy to cut costs when you can farm the work out to a plant in China, where they can pay the worker next to nothing.

I am a capalist to the core, but I fully believe in keeping manufacturing domestic if it can be attained in a cost-effective manner. More often than not, it is not cost-effective to produce ANYTHING in the US due to the fact that the unions have effectively priced US labor out of contention. It truly is a shame, as we have the most skilled, and the most productive people on Earth.
BigD9146gt
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 9 2010, 10:05 PM) *

I am a capalist to the core, but I fully believe in keeping manufacturing domestic if it can be attained in a cost-effective manner. More often than not, it is not cost-effective to produce ANYTHING in the US due to the fact that the unions have effectively priced US labor out of contention. It truly is a shame, as we have the most skilled, and the most productive people on Earth.

Cost effective manner? Sorry if I burst your bubble, but this isn't a capatlist country anymore (not by a long shot). And it isn't the unions killing it. Insurance, local business tax, healthcare, and politics (fat pockets). I like unions, they protect the workers. Insurance insures that workers can't afford to work, healthcare reminds them of it, and politians seal the deal with cheap trade deals to china. don't ever wonder why america only produces burgers.

so not to get too off topic.... GO GEORGE & AA FLARES!!!
Katmanken
Way cool video George.

It really shows everybody the enormous effort that goes into making something like this.

A lot of people here now know about the set up costs, the material costs (big sheet, small part, lotta waste), the strikes and restrikes, and why the small run parts cost like they do.

Thanks for investing in the tooling, the parts, and for feeding our fantasies.

After watching that group in action, I'm really impressed. They really know what they are doing.

Great work eveyone.

Ken

GeorgeRud
I think this makes it abundantly clear why these things cost what they do! After seeing this video, it seems that the flares are actually underpriced for the work and effort that went into making them.

I don't want to even think what the setup costs for the dies and presses are. Very difficult to amoritize for such a relatively small run of parts that only appeal to a very limited market.

Good Job, George!
mepstein
Thanks George. Really nice to see what goes into these. I had no idea it involved so much work. Stamped 5X, trimmed 2X, cut, cleaned, ect. These are a deal! The repos seem to be viewed as not worthy for "real" 6's but I'm happy to put these handmade pieces on my car.

Took my car to Scotty B yesterday. Moorestown, NJ to Richmond, VA.
Scott said he'll have the flares on by the weekend biggrin.gif /summertime
He really does look like Wilfred Brimley. LOL
JFJ914
Cool video, George. It's a far more complicated process than I imagined!
Root_Werks
I've installed a few sets of these flares over the years. The quality is unmatched and anyone in the 914 community is lucky someone is producing them. Great product Greg, cool video, keep making them!
Frost
Wow, that was insanely cool to see the whole process, we sure are getting a steal on these!
Dr Evil
Bad ass. That guy is a real craftsman. It was like watching Discovery channel smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.