Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bursch Muffler fitting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
I throw myself on the mercy of the board.

I just installed my rebuilt 2.0 L in my 74'. I ordered a new bursch exhaust, but when I go to fit it, it hits the bottom of my trunk and the headers/heat exchangers miss the inlet by about 3 inches. Has anyone else had this problem, could they have sent me the wrong one, even though it is marked for a 74' 2.0? Let me know your thoughts. BTW, fitted old exhaust and it fits fine.

Thanks as always...Scott
Scott S
Your heat exchangers are off of a 1.7. You either need the 2.0 heat ex, or the 1.7 muffler.
markb
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 9 2010, 12:25 PM) *

Your heat exchangers are off of a 1.7. You either need the 2.0 heat ex, or the 1.7 muffler.

That would make sense. agree.gif
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 9 2010, 03:25 PM) *

+1, agree.gif
The 2.0 heat exchanger exit lower with a double turn at the ends.

Just exchange your 2.0l muffler for a 1.7. If those are SS heater boxes, you are already at the same inner diameter as the 2.0 heater boxes, so no loss there.

I hope that helps.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 9 2010, 12:25 PM) *

agree.gif

The muffler looks correct for a 2.0L engine but your heat exchangers do not.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
srohling
Thanks everyone.....other than the physical difference, is there a mechanical/efficiency difference between the 1.7 and 2.0? If not, I'll just exchange the muffler....

thanks in advance.
Tom_T
QUOTE(srohling @ Mar 9 2010, 01:37 PM) *

Thanks everyone.....other than the physical difference, is there a mechanical/efficiency difference between the 1.7 and 2.0? If not, I'll just exchange the muffler....

thanks in advance.

As noted above - if they're the SS HE's with the larger "stock 2.0 diameter" pipes,then even the 1.7 SS HE's will "blow" about the same as a 2.0 set of HEs.

The 1.7 Bursch muffler set however may not be as free flow as their 2.0L - maybe others on here will know.

That said - IMHO - if it is a stock 74 2.0 that I'd just spent all the bucks to rebuild, I'd get a proper 2.0 SS HE & proper 2.0 muffler (in my case OEM/Dansk Banana) as per your taste, so that it all works right. You may be able to trade someone for a 2.0 SS HE, or buy one here, TheSamba, etc. & sell yours.
SirAndy
QUOTE(srohling @ Mar 9 2010, 01:37 PM) *

other than the physical difference, is there a mechanical/efficiency difference between the 1.7 and 2.0?

For stock (steel) HE's, yes. The 2.0L pipes are larger than the 1.7L.

For aftermarket SSI (stainless) HE's, no. The 1.7L and 2.0L pipes are the same and larger than stock.

bye1.gif Andy
markb
If it were me, I'd find a set of SSI 2.0 exchangers and keep the muffler you have. Or at least a set of stock 2.0 exchangers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.