Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 1996 VW Cabrio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
I am looking at a Cabrio and have a couple of questions about problems it has.
It is a 2.0 automatic and when you start it you have to let it idle 20-30 min before you even try puttung in drive or reverse and when you do it slams in gear. Also does the same driving shifting between gears. The car has 115k and runs okay otherwise. Should I run away or are these thing possibly an easy fix ie: no major transmission work. Also the trans seems to be a sealed system how do you check fluid level and condition?
ghuff
You have the split year later trans, that the 99-2000 cars have. It requires 20$ a quart fluid, and you need to pull the inner drain plug at a certain temp, and it should drip over and out at that temp.

My wife had one, I 5spd swapped the car and got rid of the garbage auto.

That thing will give you nothing but problems, swap it to a 5spd and reprogram the ECU.

The 5spds last decent and are all over junkyards.

The 5spd you need is from a MK2 or mk3 with 100mm CV flanges.
ws91420
QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 9 2010, 08:18 PM) *

You have the split year later trans, that the 99-2000 cars have. It requires 20$ a quart fluid, and you need to pull the inner drain plug at a certain temp, and it should drip over and out at that temp.

That thing will give you nothing but problems, swap it to a 5spd and reprogram the ECU.

You missed the point. I asked if it might be an easy fix.
ghuff
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Mar 9 2010, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 9 2010, 08:18 PM) *

You missed the point. I asked if it might be an easy fix.

Did you read the post at all?

I just told you that the trans requires a sketchy procedure just to check the fluid level.

Good luck finding documentation on how to rebuild one.

I would assume that given my post, you could imply no it is not an easy fix, these things are problematic and built from soda cans and lawn refuse, and you can expect to swap to a 5spd or keep putting in auto transmissions every 5k.

ws91420
Anybody have any useful input?
r_towle
I will politely add that I would never buy an automatic anything from a german car company...
Think about it.
Mercedes....serious issues with the auto
BMW....ditto
Porsche..ditto
Audi...ditto
VW....king of the pack.

The simplest fix would be to swap in another tranny from a lower mileage wrecked car.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.