Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Mikey914, Calling Mikey914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
IPB Image
Bruce Hinds
What is it?
Or is this one of those..."if you need to ask you don't need to know" items.
B
Mikey914
Could be made several different ways. Mainly depends on volume and the material.
I'll drop you a PM.
-Mark
Eric_Shea
It's a rear decklid protector that goes on the engine lid.

Engine lid up/need to get in the rear trunk; this protects the trunk from hitting the engine lid.
Mikey914
There's actually 2 parts here. The one is the rubber piece you see. It keep the engine deck lid from contacting the rear trunk lid, the other is a bracket that keeps it from compressing, and looks like it has some adjustment as to how far the bulb sticks out.

I could make these for about $14 a set with the bracket being stainless. Maybe less, it really depends on the volume. This would inturn reduce the price further. Thsi would be an entry point pricing. But if there is enough demand for these my pricing would only be better.

So the question is how many people want them (I asume most of us do as only one car I've owned has had them). If we could get a comitment for 125 sets I would include shipping.

michaelmoo
I'd be in for a set.

Mike
TheCabinetmaker
I would prolly need 8 or 10 sets
zonedoubt
Is this part on all years?
montoya 73 2.0
That is cool! Seriously, I was looking at mine last night and telling myself that I needed a new one.

I would be in for a few sets.
Mikey914
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 10 2010, 11:53 AM) *

It is my understanding that it was an early car thing and that it was not used after late 73. The intent is to keep the clearance between the deck lid and the trunk.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 10 2010, 04:02 PM) *

It is my understanding that it was an early car thing and that it was not used after late 73. The intent is to keep the clearance between the deck lid and the trunk.

+1, I've never seen it on 74 and later cars.
Gint
My first 914 had one. 74 1.8
Socalandy
I will be sending Mikey the part so he can re produce it
bandjoey
In for a set. Someone should put this on the 'other' 914 sites.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 10 2010, 01:02 PM) *

Mikey,

Not true, my 1974 has one & I know it's factory on my 74, I don't know about later 75s & 76s??

Tom
bigkensteele
I have only owned a 75 and a 76, and I have never seen this part.

Mark, are you sure the parts you have circled in the diagram are the parts in question? They look like the engine lide mounting bracket and receiver.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 10 2010, 12:12 PM) *

Could be made several different ways. Mainly depends on volume and the material.
I'll drop you a PM.
-Mark

Mark,
Continuing with you're ability to produce XXX quality parts, I'm in for two. If you still need a mule, I'll send you mine. LMK
Pat
Mikey914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 10 2010, 06:31 PM) *

Mark, are you sure the parts you have circled in the diagram are the parts in question? They look like the engine lide mounting bracket and receiver.

this is the placement for the part. It is remarkably similar to the the look of the support.
The real clue is that there is only one, and it has the support bracket behind it. After a call to Sunset today the confirmed that was the part. It is NLA, as well as the support bracket. the support bracket was $11, and the rubber part about $13. So at $14 it's a good value, and if I can get the volume up on these the price will be even less. By the way 3 sets or more will get free shipping. If we can get the volume up on these the price will come down significantly.

Thanks,
Mark
tradisrad
Two when you do!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:49 PM) *

this is the placement for the part. It is remarkably similar to the the look of the support.
The real clue is that there is only one, and it has the support bracket behind it. After a call to Sunset today the confirmed that was the part. It is NLA, as well as the support bracket. the support bracket was $11, and the rubber part about $13. So at $14 it's a good value, and if I can get the volume up on these the price will be even less. By the way 3 sets or more will get free shipping. If we can get the volume up on these the price will come down significantly.

Thanks,
Mark

I should have never doubted. Do you think that this can this be retrofitted to a '75? I don't even know where it mounts.
Eric_Shea
Yup, only one per car.

I'm down. wink.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 10 2010, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Thanks,
Mark

I should have never doubted. Do you think that this can this be retrofitted to a '75? I don't even know where it mounts.

I know this would be desirable to the GT style lids as the there is no plastic rain tray to take the hit. I will check on my 76 once I have the part in hand to see exaclt how it should mount, and if it offers enough improvement to make it worthwhile. I suspect it may do both.
jeeperjohn56
Mark, I'm in for a set. John
jonferns
Any way to add a lip to it so the engine lid doesn't fly up when you open it, maybe it can catch on the trunk lid? idea.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 11 2010, 11:29 AM) *

Any way to add a lip to it so the engine lid doesn't fly up when you open it, maybe it can catch on the trunk lid? idea.gif

I will need two - thanks as always!
Mikey914
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 11 2010, 09:29 AM) *

It would be possible to add a fin to the bulb to "Catch" The metal clip behind it would help hold it out far enough to catch. When I have the part in hand I can look at how I can produce it, and what "options" can be added to it.

Mikey914
Got the part and working out the drawing to make this now. I'll have pricing fianlized by Monday. $8-$12 each depending on how many want this. I'm going to start a thread to track this.
Mikey914
I have been busy today. Finally got these cranked out 1st parts look good. It looks like I can do the rubber portion at $7.75 each as a pre purchase commitment for those of you that want these. I'm making the jig to punch these in the next few days and can get a few parts out this week. The steel part behind will be a little more than I originally thought, I'll have numbers for these hopefully this week.

I'm starting a new thread for these that has a description so those that were not adventurous enough to look at this one can see what's going on.
McMark
wub.gif
Eric_Shea
awesome!
ConeDodger
I love it. But did we decide if this part exists on a '75?
Elliot Cannon
I always close the engine lid before opening the rear trunk. Is this a solution in search of a problem? Not trying to be smart ass but I've never seen one and is it really necessary or something to make a car more original? confused24.gif

Cheers, Elliot
Mikey914
This is an "original" item, also serves as an idiot bumper.
Mikey914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 7 2010, 10:34 PM) *

I love it. But did we decide if this part exists on a '75?

I don't have one on my 75.
DEC
I'm in for two.
pray.gif
rhodyguy
i think a quality reproduction for the stacked elbow need for d-jet would sell.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.