Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California registration transfer from out of state
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So Im looking at a 74 914 and its currently registered out of state, What will it take to get it registered in CA? Will I need to take it for an inspection? Will I have to get it smogged?

Thanks guys.
Andrew
Tom_T
IIRC - if they look at it & it looks stock & all original - then it remains exempt form a smog test, so carbs, etc. could loose your pre-75 smog exemption - IF thye know the difference when inspecting. They're also looking to make sure all of the required lights, signals, brakes, seat belts, etc. are there.

If it's currently reg. out of CA, then it should be accessible by DMV, & if it was at a prior time reg. in CA, then they may just have records back to when it was first registered in CA (new sale reg.?) in their data base.

Otherwise - it's usually pretty straight forward. There are several other topics in both the Garage & Orig & History Forums on this question of yours - so basically read through anything to do with DMV, since folks post their various experiences within them - even if a bit off the original topic! biggrin.gif

Assuming it was originally or previously a CA car, & if you happen to get a hold of the original CA blue plates for your 74 somehow (plate # should show on older reg. cards - if you need to track them down) - then you may want to look at this post I did awhile back on how to get your old plates reassigned to the car.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=104349

Here's DMV website:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Another thought - everyone's experience seems to vary, & some DMV employees & offices are better or worse than others, so be persistent & willing to try other DMV's & people to get what you need.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Steve
I had a 1973 914 that was registered in AZ and I reregistered it in So Cal. The DMV inspected the car, but they seemed pretty clueless about 914's and only cared about the VIN's. They made sure the VIN in the dash matched the one that was stamped in the chassis. My 914 had a 2.7 six with webers at the time, but they didn't seem to care about that. No smog certificate required, just the inspection.
Andyrew
Thanks!

I can deal with inspection.

Cool.

ConeDodger
CA DMV looked at the windshield VIN and told me something was wrong. Not enough numbers they said. Then, they checked something and said it was ok... BUT... and this is a huge but not to be confused with a huge butt - if it is a salvage title from out of state, they send you to CHP who take it into some stall out of your sight and inspect it to make sure it wasn't rebuilt with stolen parts. You also have to get a Brake and LIght inspection if it was salvage titled.

California is kind of still stinging from having to pay back all of the out of state fees they charged in the '90's. Had to pay back $400 + interest to everyone who brought in an out of state car and was charge for it. A Billion or so if I recall correctly.
Justinp71
Yeah they just do a vin check for a clear title, I didn't even have a pink when I did it, they just made me sign a statement of facts and give them a bill of sale.
76-914
Don't forget AAA. They straightened out my problem (which the DMV created) in 8 min's. I had been dicking w/ DMV for 6 weeks. That in itself was worth the membership cost.
bandjoey
Get an antique plate from another state where your grandmother lives laugh.gif Hope you can work out something. I hear it's a real hassel out in Arney's state.
neil30076
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 10 2010, 05:16 PM) *

Get an antique plate from another state where your grandmother lives laugh.gif Hope you can work out something. I hear it's a real hassel out in Arney's state.

VIN check yes, maybe a lightt and brake check if it has a salvage title, no smog - only needed on 76 and later.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2010, 04:24 PM) *

CA DMV looked at the windshield VIN and told me something was wrong. Not enough numbers they said. Then, they checked something and said it was ok...

Yeah Rob - they were probably under 30 & don't comprehend that VINs weren't always umpteen digits & letters long! ... probably asked an older supervisor who knew WTF was old school! laugh.gif

I got a similar first reaction when I called in to DMV to see if my VIN/Plate was still in their records or data base .......... "Huh? .... What's the rest of it???" lol-2.gif

At least our younger Teeners here know what a proper 70's VIN looks like! thumb3d.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:42 PM) *

VIN check yes, maybe a lightt and brake check if it has a salvage title, no smog - only needed on 76 and later.

All - the smog exemption is technically only for unmodified (stock) vehicles, but you've seen several examples of folks skating on by unknowledgeable DMV folks. However, there are rumors out there that they're going to start sticking it to folks with older pre-76 vehicles - both to the get polluters off the road &/or to collect big fines (& maybe make up for the lost out of state revenue Rob mentioned). So watch your fannies out there for new (re-)registrations, & for all in coming years! dry.gif

Neil - if your 1st 72 in your avatar was that color in 80 - which looks sorta close in color to mine (anthracite metallic dark grey), then you may have seen mine the color in my avatar when I was in San Diego from time to time (I was Uni `70), before then in was Copper.

In answer to your sig question - I've owned this ONE `73 914-2.0 since 12/75 & had it "rolling" Restored/Overhauled 80-83, as it was my DD up to 5/85, then it's been on block in my garage since then. However, I had it done, as I had neither time nor patience for it then - too busy with work, Rugby & women - but not necessarily in that order! biggrin.gif

BTW, when we were living down there in the 60's, & even later in 70's - RB Rancho Bernardo was considered the hinterlands - not SD! Heck, even University City where we lived was the outskirts! laugh.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
neil30076
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 10 2010, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Mar 10 2010, 07:42 PM) *

All - the smog exemption is technically only for unmodified (stock) vehicles, but you've seen several examples of folks skating on by unknowledgeable DMV folks. However, there are rumors out there that they're going to start sticking it to folks with older pre-76 vehicles - both to the get polluters off the road &/or to collect big fines (& maybe make up for the lost out of state revenue Rob mentioned). So watch your fannies out there for new (re-)registrations, & for all in coming years! dry.gif

Neil - if your 1st 72 in your avatar was that color in 80 - which looks sorta close in color to mine (anthracite metallic dark grey), then you may have seen mine the color in my avatar when I was in San Diego from time to time (I was Uni `70), before then in was Copper.

In answer to your sig question - I've owned this ONE `73 914-2.0 since 12/75 & had it "rolling" Restored/Overhauled 80-83, as it was my DD up to 5/85, then it's been on block in my garage since then. However, I had it done, as I had neither time nor patience for it then - too busy with work, Rugby & women - but not necessarily in that order! biggrin.gif

BTW, when we were living down there in the 60's, & even later in 70's - RB Rancho Bernardo was considered the hinterlands - not SD! Heck, even University City where we lived was the outskirts! laugh.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,
The 72 in my avatar was also dark blue - i bought it in Boston after it had only been driven on Marth'as Vineyard for many years - it was a rust bucket, so i rebuilt it - then, about 3 years ago i decided to find another 72 to redo, and paint the same color ( almost) - which i did, and still have it.
Yes, RB is not hinterland anymore - still a nice area to live in!
Regards
Neil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.