Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: back dating 2.0 heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
I am finding alot of this going on recently, so besides the exhaust hanger, what other tin needs to change?. "J" pipes... I forget and too lazy to look it up.
davep
Muffler
SirAndy
What year is your car?

idea.gif Andy
Triaddave
This is on a customers car,so maybe 74ish. I think he bought the heat exchangers thinking they were 2.0. I built the proper 1.7 exhaust for him and I am tring to help him to make this work.
Dave_Darling
If you're swapping out a 73-74 2.0 exhaust, then the only things you need to swap are the exchangers, the muffler, and the muffler bracket.

I you're swapping out a 75-76 exhaust (1.8 and 2.0 are the same those years) then you have to swap everything except the heater hoses, and possibly the flapper valves.

--DD
r_towle
Steel to stainless I am pretty sure requires that you change the jtubes, the pipes that go to the flappers and the funky pipe that goes to the main fan....
they all comes stainless (maybe not the jtube and that may be reusable) but I remember the other two are different OD/ID size....just enough to make it not work.

Rich
TheCabinetmaker
Dave said it right. I've never changed J tubes unless its a 75/76 backdate.
Mark Henry
Just be aware that the 1.7/1.8 HE's are a bit different than the 2.0 HE's and you will require a different muffler for each.
Triaddave
O.K. Thanks to everbody that replied. I was thinking that Dave's answer was correct but just wanted to put out the question to be sure.I'll get this info to Salem,OR. I'll also try to post the pictures on "member vendors" of the 1.7 exhaust fix.
I'm not real computer savvy, but I will try...Thanks again to all.
Coy
Hey, thanks for asking this question for me Dave. I bought stainless HEs on Craigslist not knowing there was any differences from year to year. Dave asked the right questions before hand, and so, made me the correct final exhaust for my exchangers. Now it looks like I just need the correct exhaust hanger. That means I'm almost there... Triad Exhaust! piratenanner.gif
Dave couldn't be any more helpful. Another great 914 vendor!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.