Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this make sense?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
foofighter
Hello all I guess this is my first post!

So I look at this car I got and I'm like "man those door guards are ugly, they gotta go"

Click to view attachment

So I get out my trusty heat gun to make short work of it.....nope not so fast pal.

Click to view attachment

So let me get this straight...fearing that the car might get a dent....they drill holes in it to install a protector WTF.gif

Is it just me?

Now don't even get me started on that ugly spoiler!
underthetire
blink.gif that sucks big time.
ConeDodger
welcome.png Look at the bright side! Now you get to learn bodywork and rust repair!
Tom_T
welcome.png & agree.gif with Rob

Yeah, unfortunately those were a dealer & aftermarket options, & they did it old school trim pin mounts through holes. dry.gif

So now get those off & check out the rust, then decide to fill, repair any rust & repaint, or just reinstall & live with them. If you have the dealer bill of sale when it was new, then it might say if it was a dealer option.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
foofighter
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 10:18 AM) *

welcome.png & agree.gif with Rob

Yeah, unfortunately those were a dealer & aftermarket options, & they did it old school trim pin mounts through holes. dry.gif

So now get those off & check out the rust, then decide to fill, repair any rust & repaint, or just reinstall & live with them. If you have the dealer bill of sale when it was new, then it might say if it was a dealer option.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I don't have that, but I'll bet they were as it also has the reflector in the rear and the wood dash overlays which as I understand were also dealer options.
jonferns
If you don't want to actually fill in the holes, you can get a flat plastic plug from your local hardware store and paint it yellow.

Or if you do fill them in, might as well fill in the ones from that hideous wing icon8.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 11 2010, 09:25 AM) *

If you don't want to actually fill in the holes, you can get a flat plastic plug from your local hardware store and paint it yellow.

Or if you do fill them in, might as well fill in the ones from that hideous wing icon8.gif

Whoa Jon... You don't understand. The roads are long and the winds are strong in Western Colorado. You got to have something to hold the rear end down!!! lol-2.gif
foofighter
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 11 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Whoa Jon... You don't understand. The roads are long and the winds are strong in Western Colorado. You got to have something to hold the rear end down!!! lol-2.gif

Ya about that, the guy tells me its a Fiero spoiler and its "all the rage" in Cali.

Of course he also told me that he "drained the tank to store it" and when I put a gallon in it it went right on the ground. ha ha

Oh well I guess he technically told the truth it did get drained while he had it.

Just a hose not the tank luckily
Tom_T

IMHO - don't do plugs suggested above, as that will look more hinkey than the bump strips.

Either do the body work right & repaint/spot-paint-to-match (tough to match old paint though) - or else reinstall the strips & live with it.

I do agree with Jon on doing the whale-ass-tale & repair those mounting holes too, along with the bump-strip holes.

Also maybe pull the reflector & go back to a stock look with the rear trunk button & 914 + 1.8 or 2.0 badges - if you don't like that look either.

While dealers would do anything the customer IIRC, the wood dash overlay & rear reflector were not Porsche nor VOA (VW USA Part Co.) "official " parts - unless it is a cut down 911/912 center reflector (I can't see the back in a pic to tell). There was an aftermarket one which was made for the 914's & was the exact height & width without cutting shorter (& a repro of that is out now at AA now IIRC). Whereas the 911/912 one has the reflectors on each end cut short & it's height is shorter than the 914 taillights are - easy for you to see by looking.

BTW - the best way to get those off is to slip something thin/flat & non-marring behind each side of the mounting pins & squeeze together to compress the pin spring & it should pop out (e.g.: nylon trim removal tool or 2 flat bits of plastic to avoid marring paint) - even easier if you have/access to an actual body pin compressor! smile.gif

"Ya about that, the guy tells me its a Fiero spoiler and its "all the rage" in Cali. "
lol-2.gif .... yeah maybe with the local low riders' club! av-943.gif

They actually made several factory & VOA & aftermarket rear spoilers specifically for the 914s, which you can find at AutoAtlanta, Performance Products, Pelican, etc. Get yourself one of the "correct" ones to your taste, if you really want one on yours! ... that's what us crazy Cali folks would do, or leave it stock! shades.gif

IIRC - rear spoilers are not effective anyway on most cars until over 100 mph & then not really much use until over 150 mph - but maybe some of our Teener Racers on here with hot motors can speak better to that.

Otherwise bud - nice wheels & you can either sort it out to an "as original" concours 914, or to your personal preferences. You can find most of what you need either way from folks on here, or we'll point you in the right direction. smile.gif

So - is yours a 75 or 76? ... 1.8 or 2.0? ... still with the OE L-jet or D-jet respectively, or changed over to carbs or new EFI set-up? confused24.gif

Make sure to add you 914's info in the VIN Registry on here to, plus you can search similar model/year 914s for reference on yours & any work you do on it! smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Tom_T
PS - Paint up those rockers & front spoiler & rear valance in the original satin black textured coating, get some clean-up & preservative on those black "big bumpers" - & you'll be surprised how sharp that alone makes it look! biggrin.gif
FourBlades
welcome.png

A nice looking car with some minor warts you can fix.

There are much worse cars to start with.

How well does it run?

John
dflesburg
Everyone that has a 914 needs a welder anyway.

Welcome to the family man!
Cap'n Krusty
"Ya about that, the guy tells me its a Fiero spoiler and its "all the rage" in Cali."

As if anybody cares what they like in the drug capital of Colombia ..............

The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
imo little holes are easier to fix than dents smile.gif weld up the holes, grind smooth, repaint the area smile.gif
foofighter
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 01:26 PM) *

IMHO - don't do plugs suggested above, as that will look more hinkey than the bump strips.

Either do the body work right & repaint/spot-paint-to-match (tough to match old paint though) - or else reinstall the strips & live with it.

I do agree with Jon on doing the whale-ass-tale & repair those mounting holes too, along with the bump-strip holes.

Also maybe pull the reflector & go back to a stock look with the rear trunk button & 914 + 1.8 or 2.0 badges - if you don't like that look either.

While dealers would do anything the customer IIRC, the wood dash overlay & rear reflector were not Porsche nor VOA (VW USA Part Co.) "official " parts - unless it is a cut down 911/912 center reflector (I can't see the back in a pic to tell). There was an aftermarket one which was made for the 914's & was the exact height & width without cutting shorter (& a repro of that is out now at AA now IIRC). Whereas the 911/912 one has the reflectors on each end cut short & it's height is shorter than the 914 taillights are - easy for you to see by looking.

BTW - the best way to get those off is to slip something thin/flat & non-marring behind each side of the mounting pins & squeeze together to compress the pin spring & it should pop out (e.g.: nylon trim removal tool or 2 flat bits of plastic to avoid marring paint) - even easier if you have/access to an actual body pin compressor! smile.gif

"Ya about that, the guy tells me its a Fiero spoiler and its "all the rage" in Cali. "
lol-2.gif .... yeah maybe with the local low riders' club! av-943.gif

They actually made several factory & VOA & aftermarket rear spoilers specifically for the 914s, which you can find at AutoAtlanta, Performance Products, Pelican, etc. Get yourself one of the "correct" ones to your taste, if you really want one on yours! ... that's what us crazy Cali folks would do, or leave it stock! shades.gif

IIRC - rear spoilers are not effective anyway on most cars until over 100 mph & then not really much use until over 150 mph - but maybe some of our Teener Racers on here with hot motors can speak better to that.

Otherwise bud - nice wheels & you can either sort it out to an "as original" concours 914, or to your personal preferences. You can find most of what you need either way from folks on here, or we'll point you in the right direction. smile.gif

So - is yours a 75 or 76? ... 1.8 or 2.0? ... still with the OE L-jet or D-jet respectively, or changed over to carbs or new EFI set-up? confused24.gif

Make sure to add you 914's info in the VIN Registry on here to, plus you can search similar model/year 914s for reference on yours & any work you do on it! smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Thanks for the replies. It's a '76, but after researching a bit (i wish I knew then what I know now) it has an engine case that is numbered as a 1971 1.7 liter mad.gif
Has some rust in the floor pans (not too bad IMO) and the passenger jack point and hell hole. The suspension mounts and such underneath are all solid.

There is rust through in the tunnel on the rear floor pan, not sure how to handle that yet.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This is typical. The punk kid working at the Porsche dealership should have been S
HOT for drilling holes in that, THEN, new 914!!!!! Weld them up grind them body work and paint or just reinstall and keep that '70s look!!!!!!! (we all know about the so called FULL vinyl roof on the less than 1000 serial numbered. VERY '70s

QUOTE(foofighter @ Mar 11 2010, 10:06 AM) *

Hello all I guess this is my first post!

So I look at this car I got and I'm like "man those door guards are ugly, they gotta go"

Click to view attachment

So I get out my trusty heat gun to make short work of it.....nope not so fast pal.

Click to view attachment

So let me get this straight...fearing that the car might get a dent....they drill holes in it to install a protector WTF.gif

Is it just me?

Now don't even get me started on that ugly spoiler!

bembry
That can be a sweet little car.

we need more pictures!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 11 2010, 01:43 PM) *

we all know about the so called FULL vinyl roof on the less than 1000 serial numbered. VERY '70s

I actually like the vinyl on the windshield frame on the first 1000 '73 cars.

But then again, i grew up in the 70ties ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Tom_T
Foo - 75/76 GC 2L case FS right now here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103234

May be others in classifieds too - just list WTB now or whenever you're ready to swap in a proper 2.0 for your's, but maybe get a COA from PCNA first to see what case no. was in there, & you may find your original one floating around. Also TheSamba, evil-bay, 914club, Pelican, etc. has them come up from time to time.

If you're not trying to keep this OE, & since the bogus 1.7 is in there - why not swap it for a GA 2L case (either as a stock d-jet 2L or upbuilt as follows....), or have the 1.7 in there up-built by McMark or Jake Raby to 2056, 2270, etc. for 125++ HP !!?? driving.gif biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2010, 01:47 PM) *

we all know about the so called FULL vinyl roof on the less than 1000 serial numbered. VERY '70s

biggrin.gif Andy

... yeah, but his is a 76 Andy & George! dry.gif

BTW - I was an adult during the 70's, & I could live with the look if it was OE on mine, but it's #1954 so not on my A-pillars - which look I prefer without A-pillar vinyl! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 01:55 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

... yeah Tom, we actually know that. poke.gif

George simply commented on the general type of "upgrades" popular in the 70ties.
shades.gif Andy
Drums66
bye1.gif It's too late but........sometimes they are riveted on!!
sometimes their taped on!!

idea.gif idea.gif yellowsleep[1].gif

peetzinc
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2010, 12:39 PM) *

"Ya about that, the guy tells me its a Fiero spoiler and its "all the rage" in Cali."

As if anybody cares what they like in the drug capital of Colombia ..............

The Cap'n

Funny, I'm from "Cali" and I never met anyone from "Cali" that actually calls it "Cali"!!!!
Drums66
QUOTE(peetzinc @ Mar 11 2010, 02:40 PM) *

The Cap'n

Funny, I'm from "Cali" and I never met anyone from "Cali" that actually calls it "Cali"!!!!

then you are not very observant, and you probably don't listen either!! laugh.gif
P.S. never heard of Keizer either and I lived in Portland!!
bembry
QUOTE(peetzinc @ Mar 11 2010, 03:40 PM) *

The Cap'n

Kinda like being from "Frisco". blink.gif
bembry
I think that 76 would look terrific if taken back to totally stock.

That color does really well on those--big bumpers and all. Is that Sunflower Yellow? Find a stock front valence instead of the fiberglass airdam, depaint the wheels, and lose the spoiler and rear reflector if it has one. They only made, what--5000 or so 76's, and all were 2.0s if I'm not mistaken. Seriously--that car would look great.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(foofighter @ Mar 11 2010, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 11 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Ya about that, the guy tells me its a Fiero spoiler and its "all the rage" in Cali.

Of course he also told me that he "drained the tank to store it" and when I put a gallon in it it went right on the ground. ha ha

Oh well I guess he technically told the truth it did get drained while he had it.

Just a hose not the tank luckily

Oh umm... No. If he means California it is not "all the rage". I have never seen another one like it on a 914 and I have seen a LOT of California 914's...

Kick his ass for being a DAPO...
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Nice car.

You'll be grateful that you took care of the rust around those holes sooner than later...
bandjoey
I had the same experience. Mine were on with rivets. For a temporary fix get a tube of liquid steel to fill the holes, sand and sand and shoot a rattle can of grey primer. Go to a paint store and they can color match (almost) the yellow into a rattle can for about $30. Or glue the strip back on and paint it yellow. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 11 2010, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(peetzinc @ Mar 11 2010, 03:40 PM) *

The Cap'n

Kinda like being from "Frisco". blink.gif

Now don't go there Brent! laugh.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2010, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 01:55 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

... yeah Tom, we actually know that. poke.gif

George simply commented on the general type of "upgrades" popular in the 70ties.
shades.gif Andy

Just checkin' Andy! poke.gif biggrin.gif

Of course we could've gone into all sorts of oddball upgrades form back in the day! shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 11 2010, 02:46 PM) *

The Cap'n

then you are not very observant, and you probably don't listen either!! laugh.gif

WTF.gif
Must be a New Agey thing then!

Ever notice that it's mostly the out-of-state transplants to here that call it "Cali"?? poke.gif

I mean - at least call it Kaulifornia while you still can - like Andy! laugh.gif

poke.gif You know - the Mommas & Poppas didn't sing: "Cali Dreamin' " after all !!!!
popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 11 2010, 03:01 PM) *

I think that 76 would look terrific if taken back to totally stock.

That color does really well on those--big bumpers and all. Is that Sunflower Yellow? Find a stock front valence instead of the fiberglass airdam, depaint the wheels, and lose the spoiler and rear reflector if it has one. They only made, what--5000 or so 76's, and all were 2.0s if I'm not mistaken. Seriously--that car would look great.

agree.gif with Brent on making it OE concours (if that's your thang) ...

agree.gif ... as well as with RobW to take care of the rust starting there ASAP in ANY case! - - - - believe me, I know! dry.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 06:32 PM) *

The Cap'n

WTF.gif

Ever notice that it's mostly the out-of-state transplants to here that call it "Cali"?? poke.gif

I mean - at least call it Kaulifornia while you still can - like Andy! laugh.gif

poke.gif You know - the Mommas & Poppas didn't sing: "Cali Dreamin' " after all !!!!
popcorn[1].gif

Somebody should have told LL Cool J before he made a fool of himself (and millions of dollars) by recording the song "Going back to Cali"...
Tom_T
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 11 2010, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 06:32 PM) *

The Cap'n

WTF.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Somebody should have told LL Cool J before he made a fool of himself (and millions of dollars) by recording the song "Going back to Cali"...

Like I said BigKen - "New Agey" ..... & you should've figured when I quoted a 60's song, that I'm an old fart! laugh.gif

Besides, IIRC he's not from out here originally either, but back east somewhere - as if I'd know squat about Rap!!?? biggrin.gif

... it's a generational thang, dontchaknow, but you probably don't like my Oldies either, but that's OK, to each their own! smile.gif

... for that matter - neither am I, since I was born in PA, but have at least been out here since `63!
foofighter
I do really want to make it original again. I will definately check out the COA.
I'm learning quite a bit here thanks everyone biggrin.gif

I had no Idea the vinyl top wasn't stock as well as the black on the wheels.

Here's a shot of the reflector It does look like it was cut, so probably for a 911.
Click to view attachment

And the huge holes it left headbang.gif
Click to view attachment

Here's an odd thing not sure where the vin sticker went but its gone and yet the emissions one isn't, odd.
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Foo - definitely looks like a 911 reflector, & I've never seen such large mounting holes for one. IMHO - a really crappy job they did, whomever "they" wuz!? dry.gif

You may be better off cut-n-welding-in a new rear face panel there. There are several 914s on here now parting out & cutting up if you want to get the rear face panel at this time.
... ahhhh, the ever expanding scope of a resto project - you just gotta love the never ending list! dry.gif

On the Wheels - look at the Originality & History Forum, under "The Few, the rare..." under nailed topics at the top, & there are some great shots of Sahara Beige's OE finish on the Fuchs. drooley.gif wub.gif
... However - 1st check on the back of your wheels to make sure that they have the correct part nos., Fox Head & VW roundel logos - & ergo are not repros (which are often sold black background like that). If they are repros & you want to do a full-on OE concours resto, then you'll want to find some "real" Fuchs 2L Alloys, & sell the fakes.
.... There's also a nailed topic on OE wheels & tires there at O&H.

Hold on a sec on the vinyl roof being wrong bit though! ... not sure where that came from, unless it was our joking around with each other on here? blink.gif

Last - to clarify on the vinyl - 914's with the Appearance Group set of options - or as an individual option - DID indeed come with a pebble-grained black vinyl & chrome trim on the rollbar top (under the targa top) & on the outsides of the sail panels (rollbar sides). The chrome trim on yours is indicative that it was probably on your 914 (although it could be added or deleted from any 914 by a prior owner), but I cannot see if it is still the correct black vinyl material. This optional treatment was available for all years 70-76.

What George/dr914 & SirAndy & I were poke.gif fun at each other about, is the well documented fact that - in the early couple of months of 73 MY production, for some reason they experimented with adding the vinyl to the A-pillars & top at the windshield frame. So chances are when you see a 914 with black vinyl on both the rollbar/sails & windscreen frame, it's probably among the first 1000 or so built in the summer of 1972 - meaning basically August.

My 73 2.0 VIN....1954 has a chassis no. translating to 8/31/72 & an 8/72 build date on the door jamb VIN sticker (must've been the world's fastest 1 day final assembly! biggrin.gif ) - but ....... I see no evidence of it ever having the front vinyl, although it had been repainted twice before I bought it in 12/75.

Get your COA & see if it gives any indication that it was in fact an option, but - unfortunately - the COA's & the Kardex/database records upon which they're based, are often incomplete, incorrect & the most common error - the old codes are mis-read by the person(s) doing the COAs, because Porsche change the various codes for options, colors, etc., but the person doing your COA looks up on the wrong car/model/year & writes it up wrong. sad.gif

It just took me a year & 3 COAs to convince them that they were mis-reading the interior color code on my #31 - Beige interior, as they insisted it was black - notwithstanding the fact that they'd used #11 for Black & #31 for Beige correctly on other COAs out there. dry.gif
foofighter
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 12 2010, 12:29 AM) *

... However - 1st check on the back of your wheels to make sure that they have the correct part nos., Fox Head & VW roundel logos - & ergo are not repros (which are often sold black background like that). If they are repros & you want to do a full-on OE concours resto, then you'll want to find some "real" Fuchs 2L Alloys, & sell the fakes.

Ug wheels off.....I don't know whether to laugh or cry. MADE IN THE U.S.A. barf.gif
tod914
If you want to take advantage of the door holes, put some curb feelers in the holes and go with 911E hydrolic suspension. I had the same delema with my white 75, only it was glued on. I removed them and was left with a faint pink racing stripe on each door from the glue stains. Had to look close to see it, but it was there. Nice car by the way. Bet that paint would buff out nice. Seems to be original. There are magnetic door ding strips out if ever feel the need to put them back on.
Tom_T
QUOTE(foofighter @ Mar 12 2010, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 12 2010, 12:29 AM) *

Ug wheels off.....I don't know whether to laugh or cry. MADE IN THE U.S.A. barf.gif

Well, they're the repros then - serviceable for your 914, many Teeners and the Dubber's crowd will always buy them from you for their Ghias & Bugs when you're ready to "move up" - so no worries! One of your PO's went the less expensive route & put those on the car to dress it up at some point - far less expensive than OEM wheels of any type except steelies.

So now you need to get that COA & see what it says - if anything about wheels on yours. The OEM Fuchs 2L Alloys were a "standard upgrade" or "included option" on only the 73 MY 2.0s, then they became an extra cost option starting in the late 73 MY or first of the 74 MY thru 76 MY - when they could be had with either the "Mag style" steelies, or Fuchs 2L, Mahle or Pedrini Alloys for an extra charge. BTW - they were sent from the factory with 5 alloys when so equipped (not 4), but dealers had a nasty habit of stealing the spare & replacing it with a steelie, then selling a set of 4 at full price for 100% profit once done on 4 914s! mad.gif

However, in the 76 MY when they were clearing out the last of the 914s, they often/mostly or perhaps all were "loaded" with extras to help move them out the door & clear parts inventories, since they'd not be needed for future MYs. They could be had with any of the alloys, as well as dealers did swap-outs - which won't show on the COA cuz the Kardex on which it's based is how it left the factory (supposedly).

With any luck your COA will tell you whether yours had the Fuchs forged alloy (2 Liter) wheels, Mahle "Baby Gas Burners", or Pedrini alloy wheels (latter 2 were painted silver/clear). Then you can get whichever one was on it originally from sellers here, 914club, Pelican, TheSamba, evil-bay, etc. - but they will be more pricey than the repros, and will probably require restoration on top of that. They run $100+ per wheel used (+ + the better condition), and Al Reid in Anaheim CA (PM me for his info when you're ready) restores to OE finish at $70-140 per wheel (higher includes re-anodizing the Fuchs) - so it adds up fast, but your 914 looks like it's nice.

But find out what yours had on it from the COA first, & if none indicated, then you could probably pick whichever style you prefer on the presumption that all 76's were loaded anyway & PCNA just didn't know.

You can call into PCNA & they may give you some info. from the Kardex over the phone (Kristen Rochford is usually very helpful), at the tel. here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands.../contactperson/

Time to get it:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...ofauthenticity/

You might also want to get your VIN, Chassis & Karmann Plate #'s & more pix all around & inside, then post that in the Originality forum to ask that set of experts for suggestions on how best to bring yours back to original perfection, since those CWs are expert in that (Tod914 above is one of them, as is Sahara Beige Steve/smg914 with that beauty in "The few, the rare..." nailed topic). O&H is more oriented to how they were & bringing them back to that state & sources for hard to find NLA parts & techniques to do so, while the Garage here is oriented on how to on everything from soup to nutz, including restos & conversions, racers/AXers, etc.

Happy Trails!
biggrin.gif
foofighter
Ill be checking into all of those things thank you for the advice!

But first, the rust issues! ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.