Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding trunk floor pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjbunn
To fill in the hole in the front trunk floor left by an A/C unit, I need to have a new floor pan welded in. I have the floor pan. How much should I expect to pay to have a shop do this job? I really have no idea how much this sort of job will cost.

Thanks for any estimates :-)
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 11 2010, 01:42 PM) *

To fill in the hole in the front trunk floor left by an A/C unit, I need to have a new floor pan welded in. I have the floor pan. How much should I expect to pay to have a shop do this job? I really have no idea how much this sort of job will cost.

If you have any interest in learning to weld, this is an easy hole to close. $35 for the panel, $550 for a Lincoln MIG welder. You will use the skill once you know it. I learned how to weld closing up the same AC hole.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
I charge an hour to an hour and a half, and my labor rate is $120/hr. You need to use someone familiar with welding sheet metal, and you could probably save some money if you trim and fit the piece properly and remove the paint a couple of inches back from the area to be welded. You want a lap joint, NOT a closely fitted butt joint.

The Cap'n
jjbunn
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2010, 12:24 PM) *

I charge an hour to an hour and a half, and my labor rate is $120/hr. You need to use someone familiar with welding sheet metal, and you could probably save some money if you trim and fit the piece properly and remove the paint a couple of inches back from the area to be welded. You want a lap joint, NOT a closely fitted butt joint.

The Cap'n

I'd be round at your place this afternoon, if it was closer to Pasadena!

Thanks for the general ballpark.
jjbunn
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 11 2010, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 11 2010, 01:42 PM) *

If you have any interest in learning to weld, this is an easy hole to close. $35 for the panel, $550 for a Lincoln MIG welder. You will use the skill once you know it. I learned how to weld closing up the same AC hole.

Zach

I'd really sooner leave it to a pro :-)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 11 2010, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2010, 12:24 PM) *

The Cap'n

It's not that far ........... I make the trip about once a month. The Cap'n
I'd be round at your place this afternoon, if it was closer to Pasadena!

Thanks for the general ballpark.

Scott S
Hi Cap -
Why a lap joint vs a butt? (boy, that sounds bad...)

Just curious from a restoration stand point where you would not want to see the end repair.

Or, are you referring to when the entire panel is replaced, verses just patching the existing hole.

Just curious.... Thanks!
rjames
Hi Cap -

Just curious from a restoration stand point where you would not want to see the end repair.

Or, are you referring to when the entire panel is replaced, verses just patching the existing whole.

Just curious.... Thanks

popcorn[1].gif I'm interested in the answer to this one, too.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 11 2010, 01:47 PM) *

Hi Cap -

Or, are you referring to when the entire panel is replaced, verses just patching the existing whole.

Just curious.... Thanks

popcorn[1].gif I'm interested in the answer to this one, too.

Unless this is gonna be a concours quality repair, cutting and fitting the panel for a butt joint is gonna be a PITA, and welding it will be even worse. My money's on the easy option. If you put the joint in the right place, you can hide it pretty well with seam sealer.

The Cap'n
Socalandy
I would just clean up the opening and make a paper template for a butt joint. The A/C holes are usualy in the pass. fender at the bottom and is fairly flat. The main piece for the trunk floor would be the same only a bit larger patch. I have a trunk floor around here somewhere
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 11 2010, 03:14 PM) *

I would just clean up the opening and make a paper template for a butt joint. The A/C holes are usualy in the pass. fender at the bottom and is fairly flat. The main piece for the trunk floor would be the same only a bit larger patch. I have a trunk floor around here somewhere

agree.gif
jjbunn
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 11 2010, 04:14 PM) *

Photo of the hole. I have the trunk floor already: it is a good 1" or more larger than the hole, all the way around.

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 11 2010, 03:26 PM) *

Photo of the hole. I have the trunk floor already: it is a good 1" or more larger than the hole, all the way around.

Perfect spot for some butt-welding ...

welder.gif Andy
Tom_T

IPB Image

I hate to bootyshake.gif in again, but nice looking L80E Julian, as I'd seen the one in your Avatar big somewhere else on the www! biggrin.gif
1968Cayman
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2010, 05:51 PM) *

Unless this is gonna be a concours quality repair, cutting and fitting the panel for a butt joint is gonna be a PITA, and welding it will be even worse. My money's on the easy option. If you put the joint in the right place, you can hide it pretty well with seam sealer.

The Cap'n

Gads! This is a PORSCHE we're talking about here! We don't 'cover with seam sealer' and leave it to luck that the concours judges won't pick up on it!
jjbunn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 06:02 PM) *

I hate to bootyshake.gif in again, but nice looking L80E Julian, as I'd seen the one in your Avatar big somewhere else on the www! biggrin.gif

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much biggrin.gif I do like the L80E white - it looks pretty clean even when it's dirty. I'd really have preferred yellow, given a choice though.

Best,
Julian
jjbunn
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Mar 11 2010, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2010, 05:51 PM) *

The Cap'n

Gads! This is a PORSCHE we're talking about here! We don't 'cover with seam sealer' and leave it to luck that the concours judges won't pick up on it!

lol-2.gif I don't think this car's going anywhere near a concourse judge!
Socalandy
but if it does lets make the front trunk pass inspection. welder.gif smash.gif
Katmanken
I agree with Andy

Put the panel into place, align it, and cut both the panel and the existing floor with a saw to get matching edges. Stay away from the suspension areas.

Then use the sheet metal clamps that fit into the saw cut to hold the panel into position. Yes, they clamps are back at Harbor Freight and in the welding section.

Then place a chill plate of copper under the area you want to weld, and tack the panel into position with a few tack welds around the perimiter of the panel. The chill plate will prevent the weld from dripping and the arc from burning a hole in the sheet metal.

Don't weld a continuous line across the floor as it will shrink and distort the suspension mounting areas. TWeld a 1 inch section at a time, moving around to different areas to prevent one area from heating up too much and distorting.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 12 2010, 07:22 AM) *

I agree with Andy

Put the panel into place, align it, and cut both the panel and the existing floor with a saw to get matching edges. Stay away from the suspension areas.

Then use the sheet metal clamps that fit into the saw cut to hold the panel into position. Yes, they clamps are back at Harbor Freight and in the welding section.

Then place a chill plate of copper under the area you want to weld, and tack the panel into position with a few tack welds around the perimiter of the panel. The chill plate will prevent the weld from dripping and the arc from burning a hole in the sheet metal.

Don't weld a continuous line across the floor as it will shrink and distort the suspension mounting areas. TWeld a 1 inch section at a time, moving around to different areas to prevent one area from heating up too much and distorting.

You're telling this to a guy who doesn't weld, doesn't own a welder, doesn't have a copper plate, and wants to know what it would cost to have the panel welded in? You forgot to tell him he needs a TIG welder to do it right, 'cause the welds from a MIG welder are too hard and difficult to work. Oh, and classes at a community college, too. That oughta get the job done by sometime the year after next, and at the modest price of only a few grand.

Sorry, but I think he just wants to get the hole plugged up ..............

The Cap'n
jjbunn
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2010, 07:37 AM) *

I agree with Andy

You're telling this to a guy who doesn't weld, doesn't own a welder, doesn't have a copper plate, and wants to know what it would cost to have the panel welded in? You forgot to tell him he needs a TIG welder to do it right, 'cause the welds from a MIG welder are too hard and difficult to work. Oh, and classes at a community college, too. That oughta get the job done by sometime the year after next, and at the modest price of only a few grand.

The Cap'n

Chuckle ... yes, spot on, Cap'n ... and socalandy has kindly offered his facilities.

But I think kwales advice will surely be useful for people wanting to do this job themselves who find this thread in a search, right?
Tom_T
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 11 2010, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 06:02 PM) *

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much biggrin.gif I do like the L80E white - it looks pretty clean even when it's dirty. I'd really have preferred yellow, given a choice though.

Best,
Julian

Hey Julian - I'd really have much preferred a Marathon or Alaska Blue Metallic back in the day when I bought mine in 12/75 - still would! dry.gif

But mine was originally L80E, repainted Sahara Beige, then Gold before I got it in late 75 (2 repaints in 1st 3 years - must've been a first color reject - WTF !!?? confused24.gif ), then I did a Copper Met. repaint 8/76, then a rustoration (few small bubbles) in 5/80 to the current "tarmac camouflage" Anthracite Grey Metallic (at least it had blue pinstripes & bluish undertone to the dark grey metallic!).

After checking loss of value for non-original color restos & talking with George H & lotsa folks here - I went through a serious desensitizing process of looking at pix of really nice L80E's to adjust my head to having it while! blink.gif Yours was one used in my therapy! laugh.gif .... the wife still hasn't come around yet, but she grasped the end value thing right away! biggrin.gif

This is going back to L80E now ..... smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Good Luck with your trunk floor pan Bud! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif w00t.gif
Tom_T

BTW - let me know if you find a good body shop that really knows 914s to do it around SoCal - as I'm on the hunt & KNOW my limits in that area & want it done right - like yourself!

... and I may just show it at a PCA concours event when it's done - before it gets too dirty! laugh.gif

Tom
///////
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 12 2010, 08:24 AM) *

I agree with Andy

The Cap'n

Chuckle ... yes, spot on, Cap'n ... and socalandy has kindly offered his facilities.

But I think kwales advice will surely be useful for people wanting to do this job themselves who find this thread in a search, right?

Generally, if they have all that equipment and training, they already know how to do it as he suggested. I've been welding sheet metal for 36 years, but not on a daily basis, and I find it stressful and somewhat difficult (not to mention time consuming) to weld lengthy butt joints. I'd rather use my special crimpers and form a little step all the way around the perimeter and weld a lap seam. Someone who makes a living at this kind of thing is probably gonna view it differently.

The Cap'n
Katmanken
Cap'n,

As we all know, there are differences in the service you receive from different vendors. And some are definitely better than others.

My concern was having someone who doesn't know about welding taking it to a hack, getting a weld job comprising a coupla continuous welds running side to side, and getting suspension mount warpage problems from that.

In that case, providing information to the the person who doesn't know about welding might enable them to ask a few questions of the welder, and let them avoid some pain.

Ken
sixaddict
All this talk about ..."butt welding" and stuff makes me feel like I tuned in to a prison dating website site WTF.gif

BUT think Kapt's right ..Wrong time and place to learn the skill unless time is irrelevant welder.gif

I agree with Andy

The Cap'n

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.