Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insults
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
patssle
Well I got my first insult today. Was driving down a 4 lane road...guy passing me on the right yells out his window from his big SUV...

"Your car sounds like a lawnmower".

So I have the most expensive 2.0L /4 lawnmower in Houston. rolleyes.gif Idiots are always amusing.

Has anybody else been insulted on the open road about your "fake" Porsche or small engine?
ConeDodger
So... How much to mow my lawn every week??? lol-2.gif
Rand
I figure the "lawnmower" comment was just all he could think of. The real reason for the insult was because he had to pass you on the right! tongue.gif

Seriously, when I'm wanting to pass on a multi-lane freeway and can't because all the left lanes are clogged with people who just drive there out of habit without being conscious they should be the the right lanes unless passing... And I have to pass to the right where the lanes are more free... That irritates the hell out of me.
(Not saying you were doing any of this, just reminds me of a point.)
patssle
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2010, 03:47 PM) *

I figure the "lawnmower" comment was just all he could think of. The real reason for the insult was because he had to pass you on the right! tongue.gif

Seriously, when I'm wanting to pass on a multi-lane freeway and can't because all the left lanes are clogged with people who just drive there out of habit without being conscious they should be the the right lanes unless passing... And I have to pass to the right where the lanes are more free... That irritates the hell out of me.
(Not saying you were doing any of this, just reminds me of a point.)

Hah, yeah I'm with you 100%. This wasn't a highway though - a stoplight filled suburban road. Plus I was about to turn left wink.gif
ericread
When I first got my 914, I was driving home from work and I realized, it did sound like a lawnmower... lol-2.gif

Eric
underthetire
I get the that thing smells like crap. People are so used to cat converters now.
bembry
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 11 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Well I got my first insult today. Was driving down a 4 lane road...guy passing me on the right yells out his window from his big SUV...

So I have the most expensive 2.0L /4 lawnmower in Houston. rolleyes.gif Idiots are always amusing.

Has anybody else been insulted on the open road about your "fake" Porsche or small engine?

I find that giving them "the bird" makes me feel so much better when responding to assholes like that, as in: "Lawnmower this!" chair.gif

The only insult I've ever recieved on the open road in my 914 was from all things, a fellow air-cooled guy. Now, my 914 was needing some work at the time, but I pulled alongside a beautifully restored oval window bug, and was gonna compliment the guy driving on his ride, but he wouldn't even respond. Just kind of snobbed me and drove off.
Dr. Roger
I never!

But I have received tons of compliments on looks, sound, and quickness.

Also I've seen confused looks from guys who wonder why the little 914 sounds like their Corvette... LOL
EdwardBlume
I've never been insulted to drive a 914, although a few people in my PCA years identified themselves as idiots..

When asked what I drove, I'd say a 914.. if they were cool about it, I'd talk about my Dad's car, and my passion for racing, ask them about theirs, and then share a little about the 993 in the parking lot.

If they gave the classic NARP symptoms, I turn my back and talk with someone else.

Life is too short.
Rand
What you need is one of those electronic setups that runs different engine exhaust sounds through stereo speakers. laugh.gif
Where's that old thread?..... They have a setup that monitors engine rpm and matches the pitch... You choose what engine you want to sound like with a knob... V8, V10, etc. laugh.gif
gandalf_025
In the early 70'sthe worst Insults came from the 911 owners.
They never considered the 914 or the 914-6 a REAL Porsche.
I went to 1 PCA Event back then and their arrogance was
amazing I never went back.
bfrymire
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 11 2010, 04:09 PM) *

I get the that thing smells like crap. People are so used to cat converters now.

agree.gif

I had an old lady hold her nose when I drove past her. She looked a little irritated. smile.gif

-- brett
'73-914kid
I've never gotten the lawnmower comment, but I have been told my car is too loud, most likely because it is too loud for most people.

I have been to a little cafe/coffee shop by the beach, and a snob with a Austin Healey was badmouthing my car talking to whoever he had brought with him saying it was not a Porsche, and ony a low power VW.. blah blah.. oh well.

Just take it with a grain of salt. We like our cars, and that's all that matters really.
Mike Bellis
"You know that thing's a Volkswagen, don't you?"

That's the worst I've got...
richardmosselman
Stoplight. Roof off. Airedale in passenger seat sitting up proper like a human. 2 Guys in jacked-up pickup pull up in lane beside. Look over (and down) at me and say: "Who's your girlfriend?" I had to laugh! Usually only get complaints about the smell and the noise though. Cheers, R
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Mar 11 2010, 07:10 PM) *

Stoplight. Roof off. Airedale in passenger seat sitting up proper like a human. 2 Guys in jacked-up pickup pull up in lane beside. Look over (and down) at me and say: "Who's your girlfriend?" I had to laugh! Usually only get complaints about the smell and the noise though. Cheers, R

You should have introduced her, and asked him about his boyfriend in the passenger seat of his truck... gayfight.gif

ConeDodger
I got the "nice VW" comment from a Redwood Region PCA guy at a Charles Schultz Airport Autocross once. Later when he was handing out time slips and I had been beating him by a few seconds all day I said "kind of seems like a real Porsche now doesn't it?" as he handed me my last time slip... finger.gif
VaccaRabite
Just the usual "Nice VW" crap.

I respond with "Thanks!" Then I drive away smiling.

I have no problems driving a nice VW.

Zach
drive-ability
I don't get comments like those blink.gif
Tom_T
Not that one in particular, but all of the NARP, VW & other BS the others have stated - more so back in the 70's! dry.gif

As with Rob's AX comment, most of the high & mighty tail-dragger crowd couldn't keep up on the curves! ... even a buddy with a new 930 Turbo lagged back (but he was a lousy driver) - of course I'm talking curvy roads - not formal racing & AXing in my case! driving.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif

Next time you see that A-hole, ask him how much fuel his PIG burns a week - then laugh! laugh.gif

Hey Brent - I find that giving them the "Un-finger" utterly befuddles them (i.e.: "that finger" down & leaving the space, with other fingers up). After all - F-ing is pretty fun stuff, & certainly too good for most of those a-holes! lol-2.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Hey Brent - I find that giving them the "Un-finger" utterly befuddles them (i.e.: "that finger" down & leaving the space, with other fingers up). After all - F-ing is pretty fun stuff, & certainly too good for most of those a-holes! lol-2.gif

Reverse shocker? Nasty...

Zach
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 11 2010, 05:38 PM) *

You should have simply smiled and said " Nice truck, sorry about your dick!".

Shoe
tat2dphreak
I've never gotten anything but thumbs up smile.gif only "complaint" was ever about the noise... and that was my old apartment complex... because I would leave for work at 6am, and was in the back of the complex, I had to basically go by most of the apartments in the complex...
Ferg
When I had my 3.2 six conversion I had a guy pull up next to me in a new Boxster S. We were both waiting at a onramp light to get on the freeway, 2 lanes merge to one. Anyhow I look over and say nice Boxster, he looks over with his blue tooth in his ear and kinda smirks and chuckles. Needless to say when the light went green, my 3.2 ate his 3.2 for lunch. After that he would not even look over at me when he repassed me on the highway.

Ferg biggrin.gif
whatabout1
Augh. Never knew Porsche made a 914 chair.gif
black73
"What is that, a Fiat?"
Mark Henry
Best one was a complement from a teenage girl gas attendant, local Sunoco, just miles from Mosport raceway. Doing a fill she was looking at my car saying "I hate Porsche's because their so ugly...but this one is really cute!
The guy in the pimped out C4 beside me was not impressed.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 11 2010, 07:09 PM) *

Yeah, most don't remember the smells that eminated from pre-cat cars.

In a town 5 miles from me (Lansdale, PA) they have any all day cruise-in every Saturday during the summer. Some of the sweatest muscle rods from the 60's & 70's just drive all day up & down Broad. The aromas from these high octane beasts are unbelievable! But, that's how it was back then. Lotsa unburned hydrocarbons! I love it!
Pat
1968Cayman
On the brightside-

My UPS guy- who usually only has time to throw a package at me before sprinting back to the truck- actually ducked his head in the garage today and said, "Wow! Two Porsches!" And here I've been calling it a 411.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 11 2010, 07:29 PM) *

In the early 70'sthe worst Insults came from the 911 owners.
They never considered the 914 or the 914-6 a REAL Porsche.
I went to 1 PCA Event back then and their arrogance was
amazing I never went back.

When I got me 72 one of the first "options" I put into it was a foglight flasher, so I could give the "Porsche flash" to others.

My first flashes back (at least a year later) were from 911's. I have never gotten a flashback from a 356. Remember, it was the 356 contingent that wanted 914's banned from PCA. Hell, they still had a burr up the ass for 911's back then!

Yet, some of my best buds from that era turned out to be 356 people. Go figure!
But, I've never had an insult from a "civilan".
Pat
montoya 73 2.0
The following story happened after a co-worker decided to insult my "Lola"! mad.gif

Well I got into a heated discussion with one of the directors of engineering about my "VW". He kept saying "It's not a porsche, you need to take those porsche letters off that VW". I told him, "Who do you think designed the VW bug" and "why do you think the 356 looks just like a VW inside and out"? stirthepot.gif He then kept up with praising his brand new 500HP Shelby Mustang (I have a bad habit of not backing down when challenged) I then made the comment about how his so called mustang was just a ford falcon on steroids. w00t.gif Then I decided to ask him if he wanted to race for pink slips? huh.gif Of course he laughed and asked "what do you have in there"? Told him it was stock 2.0. By this point there were several engineers and project managers listening, laughing and making wise ass remarks about our "loud" conversation and he was visibly upset at me ar15.gif cause I had the nerve to challenge his wonderful car in front of our peers. hissyfit.gif Now, after about 2 days of people (office gossip) talking about how I was going to lose my car and some people even saying "what if I win". idea.gif the director came to my desk a little pissed and said to me he would race me anytime and anywhere! screwy.gif I laughed, lol-2.gif and said "if just in the slightest chance I win smilie_pokal.gif , are you prepared to sign that 60k car over to me"? poke.gif To make a long story short type.gif , he ended the conversation with "you have to have a turbo or something in there and I did some checking on-line. If you have a 250HP turbo'd motor, your half the HP but half the weight so it would be a good race". He then asked me (which was funny) if we can call it a draw? KMA.gif Since then (about 2 years ago) He hasn't made any remarks about my "fake" porsche. av-943.gif
orange914
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Mar 11 2010, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 11 2010, 04:09 PM) *

agree.gif

I had an old lady hold her nose when I drove past her. She looked a little irritated. smile.gif

-- brett

she's probably the type that forgets anyone else is stopped at a light next to her as she digs out a booger barf.gif

how about the brain deads that get mad at you for filling your gas cans in the front trunck... oops idea.gif
914junkie
Yah, I've got plenty of insults over the past 17 years or so of 914 ownership. All the usual NARP, "over glorified Volkswagen" and "Poor mans Porsche" crap.
But just last weekend I was out for a drive with the roof off on a nice sunny day, sitting at a stoplight and some jackass yells across two lanes of traffic "UGLY PORSH!" I wasn't even insulted, all I could think was, what an asshole. WTF.gif
Typically anytime someone talks shit about a 914 (or anything else for that matter) I simply ask them, "Oh ya, what can you tell me about them?" Usually they don't have the slightest clue. It shut's them up real quick biggrin.gif
I love my Ugly Porsh w00t.gif Teeners Rock! aktion035.gif
Andyrew
I've heard many times that it LOOKS like a lawnmower, but not sounds like a lawnmower...
turnaround89
I had the top off one night and someone spit on my car...oh well, they're just pissed off that a kid that is 10 years younger then they are has a WAY nicer car then they'll ever have.

Ive gotten nice vw all the time...its not worth explaining to people that you won't find a 914 in the vw museum in wolfsburg but would find one in porsches in stuttgart.
JRust
The worst I got was from another 914 owner at 2008 WCR. He drove by me slowed & said. Dude your 914 is leaking radiator fluid headbang.gif . Damned if he wasn't right mad.gif . Then he laughed as he drove on by. Okay I wasn't offended. If I wasn't pissed that my car was breaking down. I would have laughed my ass off biggrin.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 11 2010, 09:35 PM) *

You should have simply smiled and said " Nice truck, sorry about your dick!".

lol-2.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Mar 11 2010, 10:29 PM) *

On the brightside-

My UPS guy- who usually only has time to throw a package at me before sprinting back to the truck- actually ducked his head in the garage today and said, "Wow! Two Porsches!" And here I've been calling it a 411.

laugh.gif

BTW

welcome.png
veltror
Someone once said

"Oi, mate is that a real pawsh"

"no, it's a fucking hologram"
jt914-6
Was at a gas station last Sept. at the MUSR in Hot Springs filling up. Some teenagers leaving the station yells out "that car is shit". Now it is hard to keep up with the younger slang. My girlfriend said that was a compliment.... screwy.gif I thought they were insulting the car and was ready to fight.... ar15.gif
qa1142
Insults?

How about when the 911 waved me by at blackhawk farms on novic track day? av-943.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 12 2010, 08:49 AM) *

Was at a gas station last Sept. at the MUSR in Hot Springs filling up. Some teenagers leaving the station yells out "that car is shit". Now it is hard to keep up with the younger slang. My girlfriend said that was a compliment.... screwy.gif I thought they were insulting the car and was ready to fight.... ar15.gif

confused24.gif

Did they say "that car is shit" or "that car is THE shit"?
iamchappy
Back in 75 i had an older guy in the parking ramp who got out of a 911 walk past me and my 73 914 tell me that after i grow more hair on my ass maybe i could afford a 911.

At the time i was working for my Dad in his Art Studio and i could of bought a 911 if i had wanted one.
jt914-6
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Mar 12 2010, 08:04 AM) *

confused24.gif

It must have been "THE" shit.....Kids these days.....
GeorgeRud
I never had any insults (that may be due to my size in part), but there seem to be more and more thumbs up and admiration for the car these days.

The closest story I was told was when my car was in a local Porsche shop. The owner had my conversion car up on the rack when one of his 911 Turbo customers came by the shop and joked that he must now be working on VWs. He simply replied to him that he wouldn't want to try to race against the 914-6, as it would easily beat him in a straight line, and be all over him at a track day. The owner had a beautiful 914-6 hot rod many years ago, so he knows of what he speaks.

The best advice is enjoy your car and don't worry what anyone else thinks. That must explain all the rusted out Honda Civics with coffee can exhaust tips!
tradisrad
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 11 2010, 03:38 PM) *

big SUV...

Big SUV = little weenie
little 914 = big weenie -kinda like Enzyte Bob "swelling with pride"
Pure jealousy
pcar916
I can remember only two insults across the years. One on the 914 and one on my Norton Commando. Both great machines.

There was a Potomac Region DE at Mid Ohio where the lead instructor, a 911 pilot, during our first class was teaching us the lines around the course.

I held up my hand after a bit and asked him if those lines were the same for mid-engined cars like my 2.7L 914-6. He said that for all practical purposes they were the identical. Then he had one more thing to add.

He said the 914-6 was a wonderful car to start with, and that he had done just that. But that I would want to upgrade whenever possible to a 911. I had only driven Sears Point and Memphis at that time so I was a rank newbee and kept my mouth shut. Then we hit the track. With the Commando...

Crotch-rocket folks used to tell me my beyond-restored Norton sounded like a washing machine. Then we would leave Alice's Restaurant for Half Moon Bay (and thereabouts) where they could never leave me in the dust and some got passed regularly. I used very sticky tires, and having the shifter on the right side was clearly an advantage. The point is...

In neither case did I have to say a thing. Our machines tell the story just fine without us.
tat2dphreak
The best advice is enjoy your car and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

+1

if some one did insult my car I probably didn't notice, either from the gas fumes making me happy, or I didn't hear them over the 40 webers+ exhaust... I love my car, but maybe love IS blind, deaf and dumb smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 12 2010, 06:23 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Mar 12 2010, 08:04 AM) *

confused24.gif

It must have been "THE" shit.....Kids these days.....

Yup, "The shit" is a big compliment, as if your car is "IT", the end all of cool cars.

However if they said its "Shit" then.. Take it literally..

Ya, I hate slang...
tat2dphreak
yep, big difference between being "SICK" and "making me sick" smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.