Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the right part?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So I was changing the wheels from the red car to the white car today (I just got all of the out of state registration done) and saw something strange confused24.gif
my white car wont start to move until I almost let out all of the clutch pedal?
so I thought just maybe a small adjustment

But after removing the red cars wheels I notice the clutch cable had a spacer on it?
so is the spacer missing on the white car?
dangrouche
Spacers do not exist on 914 clutches. I am thinking you may have clutch tube failure. Which means that the tube that is normally welded inside the center tunnel(sealed area) has broken a weld and the tube has let go. There are lots of posts on the topic as well as repair tips and strategies on the board.
oldschool
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Mar 12 2010, 10:15 PM) *

Spacers do not exist on 914 clutches. I am thinking you may have clutch tube failure. Which means that the tube that is normally welded inside the center tunnel(sealed area) has broken a weld and the tube has let go. There are lots of posts on the topic as well as repair tips and strategies on the board.

confused24.gif What I was referring to ,was the different clutch adjustment set-up?
dangrouche
the car that has the spacer is the one with the potential clutch tube failure. are you saying the one without the spacer is not engaging until pedal is all the way up? the white car should not have a spacer.
oldschool
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Mar 12 2010, 10:37 PM) *

the car that has the spacer is the one with the potential clutch tube failure. are you saying the one without the spacer is not engaging until pedal is all the way up? the white car should not have a spacer.

right the white car has no spacer and wont engage till almost the end on the pedal?
Dave_Darling
The one in the first picture has the metal 911 clutch clevis. The one in the second picture has the plastic 914 clevis. The 914 one is longer than the 911 one, so a spacer is required when you use the 911 bit. Usually not as much of one as you've got on there, though, it's generally more like a half-inch worth.

Look carefully where the clutch tube exits the firewall on that first car, and also look in the center tunnel if you can.

--DD
dangrouche
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=198012
here's a Cliff's Notes version of a thread on clutch adjustment by vsq914
Bartlett 914
The position of the shift fork id different. I suspect the one with the spacer has a worn pivot point. Not the clevis but the fulcrum point. There is a plastic cup in the shifter fork and it pivots on a ball. This plastic cup could be worn out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.