Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got Laid Off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
Hope I can make it through this soon without having to sell my baby. But if I do, sell here? I'd like someone here to have it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 13 2010, 10:22 AM) *

Hope I can make it through this soon without having to sell my baby. But if I do, sell here? I'd like someone here to have it.

What do you do for a living Jeff?
Katmanken
Sorry to hear it.

It's a tough market here in Ohio.

Hopefully you will find something soon.

Take care,

Ken
gopack
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 13 2010, 11:22 AM) *

Tough luck, I feel for you! I have been out of work since last Nov., but I just accepted an offer in the land of the crazies and Austrian Gub'ners! Hang on to the car as long as you can... for me it was easy, no one would pay anywhere near what I needed just to get a lift financially. With a six, your situation is different!Good luck, and I hope unemployment there is more than the measly $388 a week I get in WI!
jfort
George, I am one on those jack of all trades, master of, well, maybe a few. Attorney, engineer, most recently operations engineer for a natural gas company, partner at a law firm for 20 years. I really got blind-sided in a corporate downsize.
carr914
I've been out of work in a Construction Materials Company downturn. I keep busy, but my crazy 914-6 is going no where. I hope you feel the same. When the time comes, it is nice to think that someone here will buy it. Many will want it, but?

While eBay has it's downsides, the results are immediate and let's you know where you stand. Also this is a time that you are going to get the least for your car. Nobody is really buying extra toys and those that are ( like Employers) can take their pick.

Good Luck on both fronts.

T.C.
blitZ
I know how you feel, I've been out of work for a bit. Hang in there, you'll find something. Anyone need a web developer?
jmill
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I'd hang on to the car as long as you can. I sold one the last time I was laid off. I still kick myself.

If you want to move try looking here once in a while. I know they recently were accepting applications for 19 Operations Supervisor openings.

http://www.we-energies.com/home/careerop.htm

Katmanken
Dang,

You have several of my skillsets.

Engineer (computer, military, aerospace, medical device), and Registered Patent Agent with both in-house and law firm IP law experience.

To the good, March usually is the post jobs month for corporations. The first two months are spent screwing around determining what programs are coming, who will work on them, what the budgets will be and what manpower will be needed. In March, they traditionally post the new jobs.

IP law is dead so I'm concentrating on Engineering. Seems like more job postings and nibbles this month.

I'm about to break down and build/buy a workstation and get a student copy of Solidworks just to stay current.

Lost my patent gig a year ago, did a 3 month temp job in engineering, and am looking again.

Ken
914_teener
DON'T sell your car...... I had a lot of challenges in the last two years.

I still have mine....it has saved me.

Something will turn up.

sixaddict
I feel we have just heard why cars are not selling and when they do prices are weak. Still winter most places so I was hoping that was the biggest reason. Wish the best to the job seekers. headbang.gif
scotty b
Do what you can to keep the car. For me, it is one of the best things to help straighten out my head when shit gets really bad. Unfortunately the 944 is down right now with a popped clutch, right when I could use it dry.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 13 2010, 03:29 PM) *

George, I am one on those jack of all trades, master of, well, maybe a few. Attorney, engineer, most recently operations engineer for a natural gas company, partner at a law firm for 20 years. I really got blind-sided in a corporate downsize.

Would you be interested in buying a company? I have a nice little propane service company, net yourself real nice $$ and we'll owner finance some of it if the terms are right. PM me if interested
1968Cayman
Hate to hear that-

On a lighter note, for a moment I thought your thread title read "Got Laid Off, May Have to Sell Sex."
jfort
To those who say hold on as long as possible, I hear you, and believe me, I will. I used to have a 73 911S. Sunroof coupe, leather. It screamed. Great car. I had to sell it after a divorce for about $13,000 in 95-96. I still kick myself. Probably worth over $50,000 now.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 14 2010, 03:07 PM) *

To those who say hold on as long as possible, I hear you, and believe me, I will. I used to have a 73 911S. Sunroof coupe, leather. It screamed. Great car. I had to sell it after a divorce for about $13,000 in 95-96. I still kick myself. Probably worth over $50,000 now.

Ouch... 911S for $13k...

Hang in there.. life's too short not to have at least one toy. Keep the /6.
sharper
I've been out of work a year now but luckily am no where near needing to sell the 914. Have been thinking I might need to dump off some extra parts I have lying around here though. Anyone know of any auditing or financial analyst positions?
pete-stevers
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2010, 06:08 PM) *

Do what you can to keep the car. For me, it is one of the best things to help straighten out my head when shit gets really bad. Unfortunately the 944 is down right now with a popped clutch, right when I could use it dry.gif

that is the storry of my life with my car..it is down when i need it
but how would i look in a miata???? blink.gif
sww914
[quote name='pete-stevers' date='Mar 15 2010, 07:23 PM' post='1287477']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2010, 06:08 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]
that is the storry of my life with my car..it is down when i need it
but how would i look in a miata???? blink.gif
[/quote]
Cute. You'd look cute in a miata like everyone else.

I got layed off 3 years ago, 3 days after my wife was crippled at work. I decided that security is a lie and that from now on I would depend only on myself, not on some egomaniac who happens to own a company. I started my own business and it's doing well. I vow to never work for another stupid asshole as long as I live.
Katmanken
Yaaayyy!!,

The floodgates have finally opened for me.

Months of minimal opportunities and sending out resumes with no reply, and wham...

My phone is ringing like crazy...

Had two phone interviews last week and one trip, and two successful phone interviews this week.

Can't beleive I applied for one job on January 5th, and they called me yesterday.... blink.gif

March is typically the opportunity month for corporations. They finally figured out what programs were going forward, and what the manpower needs are. Then in March, the jobs appear.

Hope some of this comes your way guys.

Take care,

Ken
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 13 2010, 01:29 PM) *

Wow! Sounds like you have quite the skill set! I bet that you could simply hang out your shingle and make a good living! Sounds like ANYONE would be happy to have you work for them as well with dual degrees and all of that stable work history.
I sympathize with you living in Ohio. I KNOW that it is hard to find work there of any kind. We of course here in Georgia recently stole one of your companies NCR!

I congratulate your skills, unlike me with NO skill sets what so ever. If I ever get laid off from this place NO ONE will hire me!!!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 16 2010, 08:26 AM) *

If I ever get laid off from this place NO ONE will hire me!!!!!

You can move to "Cali" and be my personal adviser for all things 914. biggrin.gif

I've got a spare bedroom, a full fridge and 3 1/2 914s ...
idea.gif Andy
charliew
Dang I didn't know NCR moved to georgia. I spent three cold weeks in dayton in 75 over christmas and new years training on the class 775, a new electronic proof machine. I never saw so much dirty snow in parking lots. I drove a 62 chevy ncr panel truck there from tx. It took 20 hours. They sold it to me for 150.00. it was a 235 six with ac and three speed that I added a overdrive tranny to. It ended up with a 327 and made a good fishing and hunting wagon. I don't miss dayton even a little but I do miss NCR, back then it was a great co. The school in dayton had all the buildings connected with glass enclosed walkways between the buildings. They set up a keg every day after class in the cafeteria.

Eastman Kodak is a different story they can turn to dust as far as I'm concerned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.