Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Chassis Numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
foofighter
I have a strange issue here in that the plate in the door jam and the stamp in the front dont match in terms of chassis number, but only by one digit blink.gif

The plate is 421 0014
The stamp is 421-9014
Is this common? or is something strange going on here?

For the life of me I can't find the one in the trunk.
Tom_T
QUOTE(foofighter @ Mar 13 2010, 07:26 PM) *

I have a strange issue here in that the plate in the door jam and the stamp in the front dont match in terms of chassis number, but only by one digit blink.gif

The plate is 421 0014
The stamp is 421-9014
Is this common? or is something strange going on here?

For the life of me I can't find the one in the trunk.

The ones in the rear trunk are very faint & may have been filled in by the paint, seam sealer, etc.

Check the front stamp again for the same reason - that "9" may actually be a "0" - or visa versa on the Karmann door jamb plate.

What paint code does the Karmann Plate say in the lower box? ... & does it match the yellow on the car? confused24.gif
foofighter
Ya the paint color matches, but no matter how hard I try to see otherwise that is a 0 on one and a 9 on the other, and believe me I am trying!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Okay - here's how the coding was supposed to work on these Chassis Nos. (Courtesy of davep from Canuck-land on here):

IPB Image

Meaning your 421- is 42nd week - 1st day (Mon.) in 1975 - so get yourself a 1975 calendar & count weeks to get month - any number of days in a week counts as a week apparently (not full 7 required to count as a week from Jan 1).

014 means 14th built on that day/date - a morning car! biggrin.gif

The 0 vs. 9 could just be ole Hans & Claus had one too many! drunk.gif

I had to get the paint off the rear trunk stamping on my 73 to read it, but it matched the Karmann Badge.

Hope this helps! beerchug.gif
jk76.914
I also have a '76. I don't believe '76s have a number in the rear trunk. Here is what is in my front trunk-
Click to view attachment
And here is the Karmann plate-
Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
my tag and vin but can't find the doorpost pic. There is no trunk stamp on 76 cars!
foofighter
Wow so Jim's is the same with a 0 on the plate and a 9 in the trunk. Since his was built the next day, I guess ol Hans and Klaus must have been suffering from a hangover on his. icon8.gif

Be curious to see how many (maybe all) are like this. Also now I can stop searching the rear trunk. Thanks all.
agentblr
I cant get a decent shot of my Karmann Tag but the #s match up no 0s or 9s
davep
I'd love to see a lot more photos, but I think it was an error omitting the 9.
The new tag replaced the rear trunk stamp during 1974 production. In 1975 the base 9500 was replaced by base 9000. Anomalies like this keep me from making blanket statements now, so your car may vary from the norm. If it does, please contact me so I can grow another gray hair.
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 15 2010, 10:44 AM) *

I'd love to see a lot more photos, but I think it was an error omitting the 9.
The new tag replaced the rear trunk stamp during 1974 production. In 1975 the base 9500 was replaced by base 9000. Anomalies like this keep me from making blanket statements now, so your car may vary from the norm. If it does, please contact me so I can grow another gray hair.

Dave, howzitgoineh!? biggrin.gif

You actually have 2 76's with tags mismatched on the 0 & 9 here in the pix above - so that will be 2 grey hairs!

I was thinking that maybe they consistently made the front trunk tag with the xxx9xxx & the Karmann plate with xxx0xxx ?? ... perhaps wistful thinking that one day they may actually build 1000 in a day!? confused24.gif
davep
It's going okay, eh. But I do have a lot more than 2 grey hairs; thankfully it is mostly in my beard. This is Bleyseng's Karmann badge:
hcdmueller
My 76 2.0L doesn't match up either. I had pictures somewhere. I will have to find them.
MDG
Don't have my camera handy but mine both match; 395 9008

maybe the guys punching the door jamb plates lost the thread for a while.

and finally, 35 years later, someone noticed. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.