Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camaro dohc v6? 304 hp 350 lbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skipnsb
GM says the base engine for the new Camaro is a direct injected all aluminum dohc v6, 304 hp and 350 pounds. (Same as the Cadillac "Newstar" and a bunch of others, its the new GM corporate v6) but now direct injected. Forged crank/rods.

It seems like this might weigh less than the 230 hp Subaru SVX engine I already bought, and be shorter and lighter than the LS1/sbc.

A factory docile/flat torquey 304 hp with a 901 would seem a good match.

Kennedy has the conversion flywheel/adapter.

Since this is the base motor for the new Camaro, I predict they will be more available in junkyards soon and I expect the aftermarket will offer some performance upgrades quickly.

Has anyone considered this (or the Cadillac etc.) engine? any thoughts? width?

Thanks Skip
Dr Evil
I am not so sure a 901 would be a good match for this motor. Although it is not the least expensive way to go, a 915, 930, Pantera ZF or stronger will give you better service.
burton73
Skip,

Beside the point Dr Evil made on the 901 match, the price of these engines will not be that low for a long time. I think the point was the Subaru SVX had its weight lower balanced as it is a boxster style.

You can just add 100 lB more and add 150 hp with the LS1

Bob
quikshft
QUOTE(skipnsb @ Mar 13 2010, 09:57 PM) *

GM says the base engine for the new Camaro is a direct injected all aluminum dohc v6, 304 hp and 350 pounds. (Same as the Cadillac "Newstar" and a bunch of others, its the new GM corporate v6) but now direct injected. Forged crank/rods.

It seems like this might weigh less than the 230 hp Subaru SVX engine I already bought, and be shorter and lighter than the LS1/sbc.

A factory docile/flat torquey 304 hp with a 901 would seem a good match.

Kennedy has the conversion flywheel/adapter.

Since this is the base motor for the new Camaro, I predict they will be more available in junkyards soon and I expect the aftermarket will offer some performance upgrades quickly.

Has anyone considered this (or the Cadillac etc.) engine? any thoughts? width?

Thanks Skip

I'm new to the forum but am reading and learning a lot and am planning a build myself. What is appealing to me about the Subaru transplant is that there is a fairly inexpensive option for a transaxle, that being the AllWheelDrive Subaru 5speed converted to what amounts to front wheel drive. Now if you could mate that Camaro V6 with the Subaru transaxle we might have a winner.
Dr Evil
Indeed, that might be a great match.
Andyrew
Dont get stuck on a Subaru trani, There might be better options out there.. Like an Audi/VW FWD trani, They use transaxles and are known to be very strong.

That being said the 304hp V6 chevy engine in the current camaro is a killer engine, Drove it and its pretty quick and revvy. But the cost on that motor is just way to high right now to be justified in an engine conversion. 5 years? maybe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.