Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: house is getting there. . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
Hello,

Nice to see some of you again at the 914 breakfast. Thought I'd post of pic of progress on the house I'm working on. It's getting there finally. After that, I will resume progress on my V8 car smile.gif

If anyone else local is in need of a hand in wife-appeasment building projects, please let me know. I'm sure learning a lot doing the work myself.

And of course, if you're into helping, I can buy Zachary's pizza and beer beerchug.gif
chunger
freaking difficult roof frame. . . why do i do this to myself?
chunger
view from the loft
neo914-6
Holy Smokes, is there anything you won't tackle? Did you architect and draw up the plans too? I guess the wife appeasement excluded a four car garage and shop?
seanery
Great Job! smilie_pokal.gif
That looks sweet Chunger!!
GWN7
As someone who has pounded a few nails, all I can say is nice job. smilie_pokal.gif

You don't make the wife cook outside on that stove? Or is that the powdercoating one? smile.gif
chunger
Hey Felix,

I did the rough drawings and handed them over to a "real" architect smile.gif You know. . . they don't teach you how to do anything practical at Berkeley's school of environemntal design.

I actually probably could do a set of full blown drawings now that I've built one and have a bit of a clue how the details all fit together.

Bought 3D architectural drafting software. . . it'll take 'bout a month to get up to speed on it when I get a chance.

As for taking on new things, I like Eric Hoffer's idea:

"In times of change, the learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."

The stove got booted 'cause it didnt' work. . . I had to do a makeshift setup until I move the kitchen to it's final location in the house. Check it out. Kinda ghetto but it works for now. I'm lucky I haven't electricuted myself yet with all the electrical work I should have sub-contracted out. And nope. . . she doesn't have to cook anything anyways. . . I cook smile.gif

-'Chung
PatW
You have to show us what the Recording Studio will look like. clap56.gif

Pat
chunger
Well,

Control room is not started yet because I'm living in it right now. . . have to finish the back main room (pictured) so I can move into it. . . and then tear this room apart for the proposed control room. sawzall-smiley.gif

-'Chung
PatW
Chung-

Looks Great. You are a Bob Villia in the works. You have to meet Mo who owns a grey 914-6 conversion. He and his wife are building a house from scratch.. He's often a regular at the IHOP breakfasts but, I haven't seen him in a long time.

Pat
chunger
Hello folks,

Just had my structural engineer come by to do an observation of my framing. . . I passed smilie_pokal.gif

I was sweating bullets 'cause the inspector said I needed to get the engineer out there to send a stamped letter of observation. . . I thought something might be seriously wrong w/ my framing. I called in reinforcements Friday from 7am - 5pm pounding in several straps and blocks that I had overlooked in the floor plate on the 2nd floor. Turns out the structural engineer did what everybody does when they inspect. . . take 1 look at how many nails are in there, how many metal tie straps are on there, how blatantly over-sized everything is and signs off.

I'm 1 HUGE step closer to finishing. Turns out the inspector just didn't want to do HIS job. . . which is inspect and wanted to pawn it off to the structural engineer and I had to eat the $500 bill to have him come out. . . that sucks. . . that's a Tarret swaybar down the tubes, but it's done.

Had guests for the 1st time. . . 20 friends over for dinner last night for Good Friday. This space ROCKS and I'd love to have you folks over sometime for 914 breakfast sometime if that's possible.
chunger
'nother. . . stoked at the number of people we can seat in there comfortably. . . now for some sheetrock. chatsmiley.gif chatsmiley.gif chatsmiley.gif
East coaster
Here....add these to your project list! Concrete countertops.......Did these during my house renovation and they rule! I can relate to your house project, I lived in mine while adding a second floor and ripping out every pipe, every wire and starting over. That's why it's taking so long to do my 914-6 project.
East coaster
And a sink you can swim in........forget those double bubble useless sinks!
Bleyseng
My remodel on Monique and my house. Terrazzo countertops for something different and yep, the floors with wood strips were a bitch to put in.
vortrex
those are great looking concrete countertops, how difficult was that to do?
chunger
Those are some stunning interiors. . . I still have not learned how to do finish carpentry, but I'll be there in a month or so. I do have purple-heart floors stacked in the house ready to go. It'll be very cool.

Vortrex, pick up this book from Amazon or at Expo Design Center. It'll give you a blow by blow on concrete countertops. I really enjoyed it. aktion035.gif

-'Chung
East coaster
Great book! I used that as reference when I did mine. Lots of cool pics and a pretty easy to follow guide on doing your own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.