Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealing Head Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
I am preparing to reintstall the heads on my 1.8 and was wondering if it is necessary to put sealant on the washers and head nuts. Neither Wilson or Haynes makes any references to doing this but I recall see it recommended elsewhere. Just can't remember where. When I took the heads off there did not appear to be any sealant on the nuts or washers.
Sailor
Bump
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Sailor @ Mar 14 2010, 10:03 AM) *

I am preparing to reintstall the heads on my 1.8 and was wondering if it is necessary to put sealant on the washers and head nuts. Neither Wilson or Haynes makes any references to doing this but I recall see it recommended elsewhere. Just can't remember where. When I took the heads off there did not appear to be any sealant on the nuts or washers.

No. Lightly oil the threads, torque properly (in steps and sequence). I dunno where this "elsewhere" is, but it doesn't apply to any air cooled engine I've ever seen.

The Cap'n
ME733
...........ARE you talking about just the FOUR head washers, nuts,(8 total) inside the rockerboxes/heads?............
Sailor
QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 15 2010, 09:25 AM) *

...........ARE you talking about just the FOUR head washers, nuts,(8 total) inside the rockerboxes/heads?............

Yes
TheCabinetmaker
Like the Cap'n said, no sealant anywhere. You might be thinkin of the case bolts.
Sailor
Thanks for the info, I will proceed without sealant.
ME733
.....salor.....you still there?.
Sailor
QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 15 2010, 01:57 PM) *

.....salor.....you still there?.

Still here, had to go do some work. Need to get paid so I can afford this car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.