Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with $10000 and a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pdr1787
say you have a customshop that owes you $10000 and you got a 914. What would you get done to your 914. I'm actually stuck in this sticky situation. Any ideas????
markb
What's the condition of the car? Rust? Been sitting? Motor running or not? There are so many variables, and we each will have our own preferences. Narrow it down for us a bit.
Eric_Shea
Get the rust fixed, a good paint job and try to have some left over for some good tires.
VaccaRabite
Yup. Fix the rust and spend the rest on paint.

Zach
BMXerror
Paint won't make you go faster! ... Unless it's orange. lol-2.gif
My suspension is already setup, so it would go into a new motor built to D prepared spec, and a roll cage.... Okay, since I would have it torn down for the roll cage already, I'd do a cheap, DIY paint job. biggrin.gif That's just me.
Mark D.
URY914
Got any other cars?
Pat Garvey
So...a couple of questions.
Assume you own a 914 - what year & condition?
What does this "custom shop" do that can help your 914?
If they owe you 10K, what makes you think they can come through with the work you need - "custom shop" does not necessarily equal primo 914 to me. And 10K worth of hardcore work should leave you ith a damned nice 914.
What do they owe you 10 grand for?

Not knowing the specifics, I'd be inclined to take them to court. Get your money & spend it more wisely.

But, that's just me.
Pat
1968Cayman
I know a few shops where $10K will about cover the paint (of course, at those shops most of the painters drive 997s). What are your local rates like for paint and body work?
Krieger
Whatever it is I think I'd get in in writing, including some sort of time line.
sww914
Umm, whatever they do, check in weekly unannounced. If they already owe you they might try to hide the uglies where you can't see them. Ask them to take lots of pictures, too. I always take a lot of pictures of the rust repair that I do. It's easy to hide crap under bondo, I take pictures so that it's clear to everyone that that's not what I did.
effutuo101
10 grand... you should get more like 40k in free stuff. Get all of your local 914 guys together. have them each give you 500 bucks and tell the shop that they have to fix and paint the next 20 914's for you. You get your money back and every body gets a OK paint job in the area..
championgt1
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Mar 14 2010, 06:12 PM) *

I know a few shops where $10K will about cover the paint (of course, at those shops most of the painters drive 997s). What are your local rates like for paint and body work?

agree.gif The reciept I have for a little body work and paint on my car totals almost 9 grand.
EdwardBlume
IMHO if a body shop owes you $10K, you should get more than the "street" price for labor...

I'd ask for a "perfect" chassis and supply the AA flares... the rest is fun...
SUNAB914
Sell the car, take the 10,000 grand in cash and put it in the bank or under your mattress. This economy isn't fix'd yet, and will probably get worse. 9k on a paint job, crazy!
pcar916
Get the money somehow... or hardware trades that you know you can sell. immediately, and I agree. Paint don't make you safer or faster.

Good luck
Katmanken
That's an ugly situation.

If it's a forced settlement and they are angry, there are a lot of things they could do to screw up the work like spray silicone under the paint or bondo over the rust.

If possible, take cash and go elsewhere.
rjames
Your question is a troubling one. If the 'custom shop' owes you $10,000.00 my advice is to get your money back.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.