Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My improvements and maintenance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Click to view attachment

Rocker covers are at the body shop getting blasted primed and painted the proper colour, the longs have a bit of surface rust as you can see but nothing at all serious unless you hadn't found it! The car will go out to the body man when the salt is gone from the roads which will be a few weeks yet, we are still in big snowstorm season! Put my newly shined rims with my new Bridgestone Potenza's on and had purchased the shiney wheel nut caps from the closest Volvo dealership (3 hours away) and as you can see from the below average picture it doesn't look too bad, a big improvement over last year!
Tom_T
Nice looking Ian.

You might want to check with a Porsche dealer to get the OE factory lugs for those Fuchs alloys, which are still available. Porsche Club members can get 20% off during March, about $15-17 ea. after discount - but I don't know if it's the same in Canuck-land eh?

The factory lugs have an acorn (1/2-sphere) bottom of the head - which seats properly into the receiving end of the OE Fuchs 2L wheels, then a non-threaded space below the head - so that the wheels don't get chewed up inside.

I doubt that Volvo lugs are made like this, and most of the chromed aftermarket ones are either cone-based heads &/or with threads all the way up. IIRC - there is one seller on TheSamba.com who sells aftermarket chromed ones with the proper 1/2-spherical base & spaced/lag of the threads.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2010, 03:44 PM) *

Nice looking Ian.

You might want to check with a Porsche dealer to get the OE factory lugs for those Fuchs alloys, which are still available. Porsche Club members can get 20% off during March, about $15-17 ea. after discount - but I don't know if it's the same in Canuck-land eh?

The factory lugs have an acorn (1/2-sphere) bottom of the head - which seats properly into the receiving end of the OE Fuchs 2L wheels, then a non-threaded space below the head - so that the wheels don't get chewed up inside.

I doubt that Volvo lugs are made like this, and most of the chromed aftermarket ones are either cone-based heads &/or with threads all the way up. IIRC - there is one seller on TheSamba.com who sells aftermarket chromed ones with the proper 1/2-spherical base & spaced/lag of the threads.

The wheel nuts are the correct ones, the shiney caps are just that, shiney caps that fit quite nicely over the wheel nut, they come in packs of 20 at the Volvo Dealerships as Volvo's are 5 lug.

MDG
Looking good, Ian. The lug caps are a neat touch.

m.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Mar 15 2010, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2010, 03:44 PM) *

Nice looking Ian.

The wheel nuts are the correct ones, the shiney caps are just that, shiney caps that fit quite nicely over the wheel nut, they come in packs of 20 at the Volvo Dealerships as Volvo's are 5 lug.

Okay, now I've got it - in the words of Gene Wilder & Marty Feldman in "Young Frankenstein" - "Damn your eyes! blink.gif ... too late! smile.gif " ... I missed that they were caps! biggrin.gif

Anyway, you've got the info for Factory OE Lugs, & the guy on TheSamba with the correct aftermarket chrome lugs is in San Antonio TX (also sells "PRESS" stickers for seat belt recievers, Porsche & Wolfsburg center cap crests, etc.), & may be others around too - in case you ever want new lug bolts!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Ian Stott
Thanks for the info Tom, guys like you are what make this club such a friendly place and a great source of information.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Shiney Wheel Nut Cap Owner
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Mar 16 2010, 04:28 AM) *

Thanks for the info Tom, guys like you are what make this club such a friendly place and a great source of information.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Shiney Wheel Nut Cap Owner

Glad to help Ian. smile.gif

I just wish something like this were around back in the day, then mine might not have sat on blocks in my garage since 5/85 after being hit after my 80-83 $6500 rolling resto! dry.gif ... not evan a WWW back then (except maye in DARPA! biggrin.gif

Tom Trischler
Orange CA USA
73 2L project & 74 shell & a ton of parts owner
///////
EdwardBlume
Nice going Ian! Doesn't it feel good! Wheels look great btw...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.