Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you spray your windshield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I'm debating whether to upgrade to electric - curious about the "state of the fleet" with this equipment.
tracks914
Spare tire pressure on both cars but neither has ever been hooked up....yet, I just drive on sunny days.
iamchappy
I use the electric upgrade and RainX
Shade Tree
Have the parts to change it to an electric Suzuki Samurai set up. It's just lower on the list than like 85 other things. For instance, I decided I was finished tuning the engine Saturday evening. Got out of the car after the test drive and broke the door handle....I can't keep up. confused24.gif
PeeGreen 914
I just use rainX and actually rarely need to use the wipers confused24.gif
SirAndy
911 (same as 914-6) electric pump with the stock bottle and stock intermittent relay.

shades.gif Andy
JmuRiz
I don't use mine, really only be in rainy weather 2 times. I use rain-x and will probably remove them all together when/if I do bodywork (along with reflectors and antenna).
Van
I don't use mine, but it's because I know how the system works... the washer hose goes up the steering column and is "pinched" to turn off... It's only a matter of time before that old, dry-rotted rubber hose breaks and I have a lap full of washer fluid!
Zundfolge
I use the optional "driver's seat monkey with a spray bottle and rag" (usually use newspaper though, not a rag).
flipb
So nobody still risks the lap squirt?

My reservoir is relatively full, but the air hose to the spare won't hold pressure. Wonder how old that fluid is.
ME733
........very soft rag....WINDEX......dry.....very soft rag....RAIN-X....DRY, rub in ....but it,s now just my good weather garage queen...., until I hit the twisty- back roads.....(gotta check the deer whistle) before my next excursion.
markb
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 15 2010, 09:03 AM) *

I use the electric upgrade and RainX

Me too.
ArtechnikA
6's came with electric...

In SoCal I almost never used it.

Here in SEPA I do, almost every day, especially in slush season with so much muddy spray. And a lot more diesel traffic.

in the ur-GTI I ran hoses and nozzles directly to the wiper arms, WRC-style.
jt914-6
Have a bottle/pump combo in front with an adjustable intermittant wiper switch. I also use Rain-x.

Click to view attachment
turboman808
stoners and a microfiber towel works better. smile.gif

I try not to get the car wet.
turnaround89
my car sits on jackstands, so no point in cleaning the windshield biggrin.gif

i upgraded to an electric pump, works pretty well...but when i did have a driveable car, i wash it so often, i hardly every used the washers
Pat Garvey
So simple. Just keep the spare pressurized. Works like Ferry meant it to.
Pat
KaptKaos
Rainx
VaccaRabite
The squirters are installed for looks only. Non of the other bits to make it work are hooked up.

It gets RainXed a few times each season, and that seems to work fine.

Zach
bag5rcg
Rain-X baby
swood
Rain?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

ME733, I just couldn't let this pass. Do you check the dear whistle often,

what is your record ,how many dead dear have you found under it.

My spare won't hold air. so the washers don't work. RainX is the ans.

and the old seat monkey.

I once drove home from Hershey in the Rain , be cause of the RainX

rain just blew off. Dave slap.gif
VaccaRabite
Yeah, RainX is magic stuff. I put it on all my cars whenever they get washed (and usually end up washing my cars when I notice that the RainX has all washed away).

You almost don't need wipers when the stuff is on and working.

I use RainX on the outside, and FogX on the inside (since I have no heat either).

Zach
naro914
914's had windshield washers? Really?
Oh, is that what the little holes near the windshield are for?? smile.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 15 2010, 12:42 PM) *

I just use rainX and actually rarely need to use the wipers confused24.gif

Ditto... agree.gif

-- Rob
70_914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 16 2010, 10:02 AM) *

Yeah, RainX is magic stuff.

Don't use RainX on Bug windshields.....
I found out how well window stripper works after that mistake. There is no wind blowing the rain droplets off the flat vertical windshield due, if my slight knowledge of aerodynamics does not fail me, to the high pressure zone right in front of the windshield.

Anyway.... on bugs RainX is not magic stuff it is the devil.

And to answer the question - I run the spare tire air and cuss at the poor performance, just like the good Dr. intended.
charliew
When I redid my son's 72 super beetle I replaced the lines with plastic and new rubber, it seems to work just like it did 25 years ago. I will probably do electric on the 914 though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.