Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heli-coil in place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rmvr53
I have exhaust header problems...I need to install a heli-coil on the center of my 2.0L head. Am I blowin smoke up my own butt thinking I can do this in place or should I bit the bullit and pull the head?...which means drop the engine...

Bill F
TheCabinetmaker
Timecert or step stud would be better. You can do them in place, but it ain't fun man.
underthetire
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 15 2010, 10:39 AM) *

Timecert or step stud would be better. You can do them in place, but it ain't fun man.

agree.gif
sean_v8_914
drop the engien/trans as a package. its not that hard to do. install a time-sert on assembled engine. it can be done in teh car....but why? oil cooler seals can be done without removing the engine ....but why? just pull the power package . if its not installed parallel to the other studs you will have difficulty re-installing the intake
zx-niner
I put several Helicoils in one of my early 914s with the engine installed. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way, especially if you have fuel injection. Too much stuff to remove getting the engine out. It kept the car on the road as I waited for the time I could do the entire engine right. As a daily driver there is only so much you can accomplish on weekends.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.