Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My "starter woes" thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jax914
Thought I would share my three weeks of fun - just as an FYI in case someone else has the same problem.

Over about two weeks, turning the key would not always start the car. I would sometimes need to turn it two or three times to get the car started. Then one day after work I had to short the starter with my trusty screwdriver. I drive my car every day so it gets quite a bit of use - 200+ miles a week .

Battery is a decent FLAPS one - two years old. Starter was replaced with a FLAPS rebuilt just 18 months ago. Charging system is good. I was leaning toward the possibility of maybe the electrical portion of the ignition switch going bad....

Upon investigation I was getting a signal to the starter solenoid - a good click - but not regular.

So I dug out my receipt and swapped out my starter/solenoid at the same FLAPS and installed it. Car started on the first turn of key. Car started the next morning, drove it to work and home. On the way to the gym that night, stopped at Wally World for some stuff and when I was leaving, when I started the car, it sounded like the starter motor was still spinning after the car started. It stopped and then started again - then the entire electrical system shut down - car completely dead. I went around to the battery - thinking maybe I hadn't tightened down the terminal enough. I grabbed the positive terminal and promptly burnt my hand - not electrical - but heat - obviously the starter had been pulling enough current to overheat the battery / cable and shut the car down.

Called my wife, tow-bar'ed the car home - and pulled off the starter. Exchanged it the next day again - second starter in two days.

Next day - with the new starter - car started on first turn - but then same symtoms returned as initial.

Decided to replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. After that - I determined I had thrown away $45 bucks. Same problem.

Took the second starter back - loaded tested at FLAPS - drawing too much current. Third starter in two weeks.

Took battery in and had it load tested - it was fine.

Bought a Ford relay and contemplated installing it - but I couldn't even get the starter to turn over jumping it...so I knew that wouldn't help.

Finally decided to take the starter off and have a look at it. The solenoid would not engage in my bench test.

My determination is that the rebuild process is not to the quality that it needs to be. Duh!!

I deburred the edges of solenoid pull arm, lubricated the pivot point of the solenoid arm and re-installed the solenoid.

Car is starting every time.

Just thought I'd offer my experiences incase any else has a similar experience.

Insert head-pounding icons throughout the entire post...
Troy

ThinAir
My experience with FLAPS starters is that they should be avoided. I've not experienced the same symptoms, but agree that the rebuild quality is non-existent.

My solution - the one that finally worked - was to purchase a hi-torque starter from an eBay supplier (Performance USA if my memory is correct). That was over 3 years ago and I haven't had a starter problem ever since.
SirAndy
Flaps starters suck ... dry.gif

I got a high torque mini starter 7 years ago and haven't looked back. The thing has never missed a beat.
shades.gif Andy
underthetire
I went through 4 Flaps in 3 months until they got tired of seeing me and gave me a Bosch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.