Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What can I use to clean Front Calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
Got my front calipers off, split and ready to rebuild. I cleaned the bodies relatively well with brake cleaner and a brass brush. I want to paint them, but there is still a lot of baked on brake dust that doesn't seem to want to come off. Is there something I can safely soak the caliper halves in that will dissolve the crud without damaging the internals or the mating surfaces?
tat2dphreak
take them to a plater and have them bead blasted and clear cad plated.
914Sixer
Use a wire wheel on your grinder, drill or air tools. Make SURE you wear a dust mask and face shield.
Pat Garvey
Grinding & clear coat is NOT rebuilding. Send them to Eric Shea!
Krieger
I am going to be doing the same as you. I am considering soaking one in turpentine or laquer thinner and seeing what happens. I have both of these in my garage that is why I'mt rying these. I am not planning on painting or replating.
Cairo94507
Just based on what I have seen here, when it comes to brakes, it begins and ends with Eric. Personally, when I do the calipers on my car they are only going one place. I don't want any mistakes or screw ups on the only real safety feature these cars have. Just my 2 cents.
bobhasissues
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 16 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Grinding & clear coat is NOT rebuilding.

Of course it's not, don't be a douche.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 16 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Just based on what I have seen here, when it comes to brakes, it begins and ends with Eric. Personally, when I do the calipers on my car they are only going one place. I don't want any mistakes or screw ups on the only real safety feature these cars have. Just my 2 cents.

Eric's work is fantastic and I got some of my replacement parts from him. I won't be the last person to successfully rebuild a set of calipers. I did a complete teardown and rebuild of the rears (which are far more difficult) three years ago.
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Mar 16 2010, 07:57 PM) *

I am going to be doing the same as you. I am considering soaking one in turpentine or laquer thinner and seeing what happens. I have both of these in my garage that is why I'mt rying these. I am not planning on painting or replating.

Tonight I tried my Spot Blaster, with baking soda as the blast media, and it worked extremely well. Grime is gone, and no harm to the cylinders or mating surfaces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.