Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Nirvana
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
This is what Heaven feels like. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not only a master at what he does... but he's an invaluable resource to our community.
ConeDodger
Very nice... By the way, I am talking to Harvey about coming to WCR and doing a tech session. His brother Al is coming for sure... Both of them are a wealth of information.
tat2dphreak
NICE! I don't think I've seen ones with a "Matte" looking finish like that... I've seen some amazing polished fuchs tho... was there a specific reason for this finish? or was it just "something beautiful and different"?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 16 2010, 10:48 AM) *

NICE! I don't think I've seen ones with a "Matte" looking finish like that... I've seen some amazing polished fuchs tho... was there a specific reason for this finish? or was it just "something beautiful and different"?

That is called RSR finish. I have a set of 16X8.5 and 16X7 in the basement that Harvey made for me waiting for me to get the flares on the car.
Tom_T
Eric & Rob - for those of us not in the know ....

Who are Harvey & Al ???? confused24.gif ......... Al Reid? confused24.gif

In any case for the others on here, it would be most helpful to post your cost to refinish these, & contact info for this obviously very talented Wheel Restorer! smile.gif

Were those re-anodized before they peened/blasted the surface for the satin finish, afterwords, or not at all?? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
That would be Harvey Weidman of Weidman's Wheels in Oroville, California. (530-534-7903)

Google Weidman's Wheels and you'll be in the know. wink.gif

That is the RSR finish as Rob mentioned. It is all done in the anodizing/dipping process. Others bead blast or even paint the centers to match the finish. They all come out looking good and costing less but, I think this is the best way to go.

A full set will probably run around $1,400.00 confused24.gif

Next the Goodyear Bluestreaks get mounted w00t.gif
Ferg
Dude shades.gif those are nice
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2010, 12:43 PM) *

That would be Harvey Weidman of Weidman's Wheels in Oroville, California. (530-534-7903)

That is the RSR finish as Rob mentioned. It is all done in the anodizing/dipping process. Others bead blast or even paint the centers to match the finish. They all come out looking good and costing less but, I think this is the best way to go.

Al Weidman is the Al of which I spoke. He is a 914 owner, multiples actually, and he started the wheel business that Al Reed subsequently bought from him. Al is Harvey's older brother and is retired from the wheel business. He is a member here and goes by his own name for a screen name. He regularly comes all the way down from Oroville for the Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion days...
MDG
Eric, what size wheels are those? 15"? 8s &7s?

Beautiful! I'm nauseous with envy
Frost
Man that's a nice finish.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Al Weidman is the Al of which I spoke. He is a 914 owner, multiples actually, and he started the wheel business that Al Reed subsequently bought from him. Al is Harvey's older brother and is retired from the wheel business. He is a member here and goes by his own name for a screen name. He regularly comes all the way down from Oroville for the Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion days...

Thanx Eric & Rob -

How does he do the 2L Fuchs to OE finish - also in anodizing process for the satin background & (semi-)polished petals? confused24.gif

IIRC - Al Reid said he finishes the 2L Fuchs first to the (semi-)polished finish, then anodizes (which takes it down to the semi-polished look), then adds the satin finish to the background afterwords. Is that not the best way to go with the original "real" Forged Fuchs 2L Alloys? confused24.gif

I recall Al Reid talking about who he bought his business from, but didn't make the connection initially here - not knowing of Al & Harvey Weideman before this. biggrin.gif
tod914
Superb craftsmanship. Very nice Eric. My fuch's are fully polished, wonder if he can just do the anodize.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 16 2010, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Thanx Eric & Rob -

How does he do the 2L Fuchs to OE finish - also in anodizing process for the satin background & (semi-)polished petals? confused24.gif

IIRC - Al Reid said he finishes the 2L Fuchs first to the (semi-)polished finish, then anodizes (which takes it down to the semi-polished look), then adds the satin finish to the background afterwords. Is that not the best way to go with the original "real" Forged Fuchs 2L Alloys? confused24.gif

I recall Al Reid talking about who he bought his business from, but didn't make the connection initially here - not knowing of Al & Harvey Weideman before this. biggrin.gif

IIRC, Al told me that Al Reed worked for a medical appliance company and had Al Weidman do the polishing for SS heart valves. Ultimately, he bought the company. Fun story if you ever get to talk to Al Weidman directly.

I have seen Al Reed's work and it is nice. But you should know that Harvey makes them better than they came from the factory and knows more about Porsche wheels than anyone period...
PanelBilly
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 11:50 AM) *

That is called RSR finish. I have a set of 16X8.5 and 16X7 in the basement that Harvey made for me waiting for me to get the flares on the car.

If you want to see what they look like on a blue car, you can send them to me.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 16 2010, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 11:50 AM) *

If you want to see what they look like on a blue car, you can send them to me.

Thanks for the offer Billy. blink.gif I have core wheels if you want Harvey to make you a set...
Cairo94507
Those are just beautiful wheels; I love the RSR finish and when I finally get to do wheels on my narrow body car, I will do that finish. I really like those wheels and that finish.
TJB/914
Eric,

Beautiful wheels & finish wub.gif I can't wait to see them mounted on your YELLOW 914-6GT.

Tom
scotty b
dry.gif I hate you.............seriously.....f U Eric.....................F-U man..................
rick 918-S
drooley.gif
iamchappy
Those pictures should be in the hot chicks thread.

RSR finish is my very best favorite - without wheel caps.
EdwardBlume
Even Borat would say.. "NICE..." drooley.gif
Eric_Shea
Those are 7's and 8's.

Tom, the 2.0 Fuchs and all Porsche alloys are anodized. The frosted section of the 2.0 is a similar process but, I'll let someone like Al weigh in on that in detail.

You didn't think I could wait did you?? Bluestreaks are mounted. Pictures tomorrow.
campbellcj
Gorgeous!!!

OK, I guess I will fess up that I have a set of RSR finish 8's and 9's in my garage. I don't know when it will happen -- maybe not even this year -- but the next transformation of my car will be wearing some flares and wider rubber.

I was kicking myself the other day for selling the 1970 "deep sixes" that I had previously, which were perfectly restored about ten years ago before the prices went further thru the roof. Sets are in the $3-4,000 ballpark now amongst the early 911 crowd.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2010, 08:58 PM) *

Those are 7's and 8's.

Tom, the 2.0 Fuchs and all Porsche alloys are anodized. The frosted section of the 2.0 is a similar process but, I'll let someone like Al weigh in on that in detail.

You didn't think I could wait did you?? Bluestreaks are mounted. Pictures tomorrow.

Thanx Eric - yeah, I know the Fuchs 2Ls are anodized, although some folks opt not to anodize them after polishing to a high sheen, cuz the anodizing takes the shine down a notch, but hardens the surface a bit.

I was just curious if they can get the matte like background on them in the anodizing process, or only afterwords, since it would be hard to segregate areas on them to anodize differently. confused24.gif

Similarly - IIRC - they cannot anodize a portion of a wheel or a part in one color anodizing say, & the rest in clear or a different color?
Eric_Shea
I was just curious if they can get the matte like background on them in the anodizing process, or only afterwords, since it would be hard to segregate areas on them to anodize differently.

It is part of the anodizing process. It actually comes around to your other statement, you can dull something further by leaving it in the anodizing longer but again, I'll let Harvey or Al speak to that.

I have anodized quite a few Fuchs in my day but, I'll left this job to the pros. If you want a factory look you really need to polish it because, as you mentioned, the anodizing will dull it a tad. So... polish and pray. Guys like Harvey do less praying as they "have it down".
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 17 2010, 03:08 PM) *

I was just curious if they can get the matte like background on them in the anodizing process, or only afterwords, since it would be hard to segregate areas on them to anodize differently.

It is part of the anodizing process. It actually comes around to your other statement, you can dull something further by leaving it in the anodizing longer but again, I'll let Harvey or Al speak to that.

I have anodized quite a few Fuchs in my day but, I'll left this job to the pros. If you want a factory look you really need to polish it because, as you mentioned, the anodizing will dull it a tad. So... polish and pray. Guys like Harvey do less praying as they "have it down".

Nope - not planning to polish myself, since I want it right & re-anodized & everything back to "as original" - & was pretty well set on Al Reid, but it sounds like I should talk to Harvey &/or Al Wiedeman first. Fortunately I have time before the car is ready for them. dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 17 2010, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 17 2010, 03:08 PM) *

Nope - not planning to polish myself, since I want it right & re-anodized & everything back to "as original" - & was pretty well set on Al Reid, but it sounds like I should talk to Harvey &/or Al Wiedeman first. Fortunately I have time before the car is ready for them. dry.gif

The economy might be in play here, but Harvey had a lead time of six months last I checked. You should contact him sooner than later...
RJMII
dang. I missed seeing those by one day! They sure look good in the pics.
al weidman
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentThank you for the good words. I saw Al and Diane Reed at the Dunkel show two weeks ago. We still are very good friends. Tom if you come to WCR all of your questions will be answered. The great thing about 914's and Porsches in general is that you can do what pleases YOU. Concours is another matter. I personally have full polished all of the wheels on my 914's. That's just what I like. The silver car is what I bought in '73 when we thought they were the last of the "good cars" as well as in the 911's. The yellow car is my current driver and I am happy with the way it looks. My speedster has 911 RS finish wheels which are like the RSR except the tops of the spokes were polished prior the final anodize. By the way one of my favorite wheels is a full polished Mahle. Hope to see you all in the morning at the reunion. Al Weidman

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
Thanx Al - I'm iffy on WCR as of now due to business conflicts, but may make it anyway. Otherwise I'll talk to you &/or Harvey before I jump.

I'm looking to restore a set of 5 used Fuchs 2L to the factory finish as in CW original, as I like that finish.

Strip Paint/Primer, Repair Rash, & Refinish & Re-anodize these:
Click to view attachment

To look like this:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
drooley.gif wub.gif

biggrin.gif
McMark
drooley.gif
nsr-jamie
Beautiful wheels!!! Can I ask what size they are and from what car?? Eventually I want to get beautiful wheels like yours when I do my flares someday.....

EDIT: oops, never mind on the size...I just realized somebody asked the same question and they are 7 and 8 inchers
Mark Henry
There's a long running thread on the bird about guys doing a DYI RSR finish.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...chs-finish.html
sixnotfour
yup chrome ina can method works ,I have done it many times , But there is nothing like the real thing.
1realdeal
2cann
3harvey
al weidman
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 20 2010, 08:00 AM) *

yup chrome ina can method works ,I have done it many times , But there is nothing like the real thing.
1realdeal
2cann
3harvey

Something interesting in your real deal photo. Notice the splotching on the spokes? This is typical on factory wheels, after all it was only done to provide a little protection on bare aluminum. This is in the forging resulting from the process. Now, however, we find no one wants such a "imperfection" in their wheels. We sometimes have to refinish the spoke two or three times to get past the material compression. Al

We maintain a series of original factory wheels for comparison and as a guide to originality.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(al weidman @ Apr 11 2010, 11:57 AM) *

1realdeal
2cann
3harvey

Something interesting in your real deal photo. Notice the splotching on the spokes? This is typical on factory wheels, after all it was only done to provide a little protection on bare aluminum. This is in the forging resulting from the process. Now, however, we find no one wants such a "imperfection" in their wheels. We sometimes have to refinish the spoke two or three times to get past the material compression. Al

We maintain a series of original factory wheels for comparison and as a guide to originality.

It's fun to go out to Weidman Wheels and have Harvey and the gang show you why they can't refinish to "factory perfect" 'cause the factory was nowhere near perfect... biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 11 2010, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(al weidman @ Apr 11 2010, 11:57 AM) *

1realdeal
2cann
3harvey

It's fun to go out to Weidman Wheels and have Harvey and the gang show you why they can't refinish to "factory perfect" 'cause the factory was nowhere near perfect... biggrin.gif

I need to go visit Al... I want the "special"...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.