Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boge or Bilstein?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeremiah98125
I've almost got enough money saved up to buy new suspension parts and I'm wondering about the different brands available. I'm looking for something soft/comfortable and that will last the longest, rather than performance/handling since it will be my commuter car hopefully.. Right now it is super hard with the OEM shocks/struts which I think are well worn out. I can feel every slight imperfection in the road, very annoying. Rear end is sagging, front only seems to compress 1/2" when I push down on it. I've read the KYB are really stiff, so I'm just wondering about the difference between the Boge/Sachs or the Bilsteins? Planning to use them with new 100lb springs. Will I need to get the alignment done for sure afterwords? thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jeremiah98125 @ Mar 16 2010, 02:39 PM) *

I've almost got enough money saved up to buy new suspension parts and I'm wondering about the different brands available. I'm looking for something soft/comfortable and that will last the longest, rather than performance/handling since it will be my commuter car hopefully.. Right now it is super hard with the OEM shocks/struts which I think are well worn out. I can feel every slight imperfection in the road, very annoying. Rear end is sagging, front only seems to compress 1/2" when I push down on it. I've read the KYB are really stiff, so I'm just wondering about the difference between the Boge/Sachs or the Bilsteins? Planning to use them with new 100lb springs. Will I need to get the alignment done for sure afterwords? thanks!

boge and the 100 lb springs. You will love the combination
Tom_T
Hey Jeremiah .... while George is certainly the Meister of 914's .... I have a different take on this.

The different shocks give different rides & everybody's tastes are different - especially in balancing ride & handling on a 914. However - that said, a 914 is NEVER going to be a cushy soft riding commuter car - it's a sports car - a damn good handling one at that - which will always transmit more of the road to a driver's seat! If you're looking for cush, then you've got the wrong car! biggrin.gif

So go out & test drive other 914 owners' susp. set-ups first with the various shocks, so you can get a feel for them & pick one which suits your tastes (there are quite a few in your area on here). Also, make sure to use street rated bushings, etc. on any other suspension bits which you replace, as that will enhance the harsh ride even more if you use the race level parts out there.

As someone with 130,000+ miles over 10 years all over SoCal & the Southweth, up to BC Canada, etc., & around town as my DD - I'd recommend the "street flavor" of either the Bilsteins or Konis, as both are better shocks, and the Bilsteins will probably never need replacing again. In 1980 I'd put street Koni reds on all 4 corners to replace the OE stock Boges when they wore out, to have a bit more handling performance. However, I'll probably do street Bilsteins next time around, as they're supposed to be the best around.

BTW - I eventually also got a BMW 325e for the "cush ride" & back seat for the kids, on my wife's insistence! biggrin.gif
tod914
Does your car have front and rear sway bars? What size tires are you running? The Boge oil shocks without sway bars give a spongy feel. Maybe what your looking, but alittle too much lean for me. I suppose their gas shocks are better. The Bilstiens with sway bars, might be abit too stiff for you. Without, I would think fine. Koni adjustables are real nice. What brand springs are you getting?
jeremiah98125
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 16 2010, 06:37 PM) *

Does your car have front and rear sway bars? What size tires are you running? The Boge oil shocks without sway bars give a spongy feel. Maybe what your looking, but alittle too much lean for me. I suppose their gas shocks are better. The Bilstiens with sway bars, might be abit too stiff for you. Without, I would think fine. Koni adjustables are real nice. What brand springs are you getting?

I don't have any sway bars right now and probably won't be getting any, they seem kinda expensive for my purposes. My tires say Cooper 265R15 on the stock steel wheels.. I'm not sure what brand the springs are, but I'm getting the ones from Pelican, are they good?

I realize that pretty much anything will be better than my worn out ones on there now. I do like the idea of the Bilstiens lasting a long time since they will be getting a workout, would justify me spending a bit more. A big problem is some of the god awful inner-city roads around here, like a 3rd world country in some places! I can't wait to take a drive out to the boonies, they always seem to have nice roads and less traffic jams.
markb
I would say save up a bit more & get Koni adjustables. My 72 is 99.9 percent street/highway, and set on full soft they are a nice ride. BUT, should I ever feel the need for an AX or track day, I can set them harder. And they last a long time. If you're only going to do this once, give yourself the option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.