Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I disassembled a '70 with a build date of 12/69. I got around to checking the relay board out yesterday and cleaning it up. What was interesting was the fact that all the relays were metal. The car had a heated back window that is why all the slots are filled. I liked the way they make a tight fit and seem to seal better than the plastic ones. I installed the glass fuse replacement and a new short voltage regulator.
Sleepin
Very nice!

I had noticed the early metal relays on my Dad's '70. Up to that point I had not seen them before. My bummer was that the blower fan relay was blown, and I had to replace it with a plastic one.

I wonder if I could split the metal one and install new guts...
Frost
Man that thing looks pretty, nice polish job!
Cap'n Krusty
There is NO reason for the metal relays to "fit tighter" Judicious spreading with a pocket knife of the pins on any of this type relay corrects any contact issues. And glass fuses used in this application are a definite "NO". Seen too many glass fuse related issues here at the shop to ever use them. Right off the bat you have dissimilar metals in contact, passing current in an unfriendly environment.

The Cap'n
johannes
That's just so nice looking ! ...
tradisrad
MY '70 relay board also had metal relays with some black tape around them where they plug into the board.
914Sixer
Okay, let me rephrase about the tight fitting. The fit more uniformly over the base. Here is a side by side comparison. You are right about the fuses, two different metals.
Cap'n Krusty
Pin contact is more important than how they sit on the board. IIRC, the relays had a wide red rubber band around the lower half or third, which extended over the base as well. This sleeve provided a weather tight seal.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.