Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing out Transmission Fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc

Hello,

Flushing the transmission fluid tomorrow, would like to know what you all would recommend and how many quarts should I purchase.
1975 2.0 914 - 901 Transmission.

Thank you,

Vysoc
john rogers
2.8L
underthetire
3 qts.

80/90 gear oil
or Swepco, your choice.
ericread
DANGER!!!

Do not use synthetic! Our trannys have brake bands which allow the gears to synchronize. Synthetic oil is too slippery, and will not alow hte brake bands to work properly. It will fubar up your ability to shift.

Eric
Cap'n Krusty
Swepco is synthetic, and it's rumored to work just fine. Lotta money, however, and a waste thereof. Use any good GL5 and you'll be fine. DO NOT use anything other than GL5. No GL4, no mixes, no one-size-fits-all, and NO ADDITIVES such as MO S O2 ("Moly"). Nothing to make it more slippery, which is the LAST thing you want in there. Should take about 5.5 pints. When it's full, excess gear oil will run from the fill hole. Be sure the transmission is pretty much level when you do this, and ALWAYS loosen the fill plug BEFORE you drain the oil. It's comforting to know you can get oil back into it before you drain the old oil out.

The Cap'n
corsepervita
I am sorry but I Have to bring this one back.

Has anyone used Amsoil? I use it in all my Porsches thus far with great results. However since it's a synthetic it sounds like that's a huge no no in these...

However, I know the 914 is older and things were made "different" back then, what would you recommend as a high quality tranny fluid? There are so many charts, choices and standards out there. Mine is a very early 1.7L 1970 model.

I read a lot of various topics on this forum regarding this before posting... and there seems to be a lot of debate between different oils.
windforfun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 17 2010, 12:34 PM) *

Swepco is synthetic, and it's rumored to work just fine. Lotta money, however, and a waste thereof. Use any good GL5 and you'll be fine. DO NOT use anything other than GL5. No GL4, no mixes, no one-size-fits-all, and NO ADDITIVES such as MO S O2 ("Moly"). Nothing to make it more slippery, which is the LAST thing you want in there. Should take about 5.5 pints. When it's full, excess gear oil will run from the fill hole. Be sure the transmission is pretty much level when you do this, and ALWAYS loosen the fill plug BEFORE you drain the oil. It's comforting to know you can get oil back into it before you drain the old oil out.

The Cap'n

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Find any metal chips?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.